Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49

Author Topic: Question of the Day - Part 4  (Read 121266 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the Day - Part 4
« Reply #675 on: July 26, 2012, 04:14:21 PM »

No, but maybe I would like to carve that into someone else some day lol

And saying things like that is why I'm single at the moment lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #676 on: July 26, 2012, 04:15:20 PM »

I agree with some of what you said to a certain extent. I know on our MC twitter account, when people tweet us things they liked in the chapter, I'll RT them. It's a twitter account for the fan fiction site, so people obviously know that tweets are going to be made about the stories, which is why they followed it in the first place. Personal account? I don't do that kind of stuff that often, but I do talk about writing, whether it's talking to Hannah, Lore or Steph or someone else.

That's one of the problems I've had now with my self-publishing, I haven't felt great and work has been busy so I haven't really promoted and I've seen a small drop in sales... so I'm going to take some time to do that this weekend.

It makes sense to create a separate Twitter page for your site/writing if you like to talk about it a lot, so that the people who care to read those tweets can follow that account, and the people who care about you personally but don't necessarily want to hear all about your stories can just follow your personal account.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #677 on: July 26, 2012, 04:15:56 PM »

So when I see it happen in the news, I'll know it's you!  :D

Or I'll change the MINE to Uh...SOMEONE ELSE'S lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #678 on: July 26, 2012, 04:16:01 PM »

And saying things like that is why I'm single at the moment lol

LMAO I dunno, Mare, have you ever watched Strange Sex on TLC?  I bet some people would be into that!!
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #679 on: July 26, 2012, 04:19:35 PM »

Or I'll change the MINE to Uh...SOMEONE ELSE'S lol

LMFAO or to HERS/HIS?
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #680 on: July 26, 2012, 04:38:37 PM »

There was a whole long train of thought that brought this question into my head yesterday after our chatty conversation, but I thought I'd wait for a lull to post it.  So here it is!

I was thinking yesterday about how we all like to write different things and the reasons I like to write what I do, and I came to the conclusion that there are three types of fanfic writers:

1. Writers who write about things they wish would happen, or their greatest fantasies.

2. Writers who write about things they hope never happen, or their worst nightmares.

3. Writers who write about things that really did happen, either in the Boys' lives or their own lives.

I'm sure most of us do all three, to some extent, but which category would you say you fall into most of the time?

I've written in all three. 

My early stories are more or less number 1, I've self-inserted with a few stories and they've been romance.  Although to be honest, I wouldn't want them to come true!  Like with Ten Things, I had the character (who happens to be called Steph but is not really like me) marry AJ after a drunken night in Las Vegas.

Now I'd say I write a mixture of 2 and 3.  I'd never want any of it to come true (like the plane crash in Save A Prayer, or being executed at the age of 30 like Unwinding Truth), but it's fun to write it.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #681 on: July 26, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »

I have a question which has probably been answered before but I can't remember.

Do your friends/family in real life know that you write fan fiction?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #682 on: July 26, 2012, 04:55:50 PM »

I don't know if that was ever an official question, but I know we've discussed it - but that's okay, because some people are just joining in and maybe didn't answer it before.

My immediate family - my parents and my sister - know I write fanfic.  My sister knew almost from the beginning because we still shared a bedroom when I started, so it was kind of hard to hide it from her.  My mom knows about my site, but has never read my stories - she promised she wouldn't way back when she found out about my site, and I actually think she's kept that promise.  I have to give her credit; I think I would totally snoop to see what my kid was writing, but I don't think she really cares to read stories about the Backstreet Boys, even by me.  I think if she had read some of them, she probably would have mentioned it by now.  She's the only one who ever asks me about my site or my writing, but it's usually with the attitude of, "Are you still doing that??  When are you going to stop writing about the Backstreet Boys and write a real book?"  My dad is completely computer illiterate, so I doubt he's ever seen my site.

None of my real life friends know, and I would be mortified if they found out LOL.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 04:57:44 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #683 on: July 26, 2012, 04:56:32 PM »

LMAO I dunno, Mare, have you ever watched Strange Sex on TLC?  I bet some people would be into that!!

lmao nope never caught that show but I bet!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #684 on: July 26, 2012, 04:57:27 PM »

LMFAO or to HERS/HIS?

Maybe IT WASN'T ME! lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #685 on: July 26, 2012, 04:58:19 PM »

My mom knows, but that's because of Julie lmao. Maybe she still has the photos. One year for Christmas she sent me a 00Carter - Drums doll she made lmfao. I loved it and it's beside my "Magic Turtle" on my computer desk. My mom saw it though once so then I had to explain everything, including the concept of fanfiction. She's the only one who knows though.

Everyone else just knows I write.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #686 on: July 26, 2012, 05:00:02 PM »

And this is the origin of my magic turtle lol. We used to joke that our random ideas happened the same way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DN0N0tKAPLM

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #687 on: July 26, 2012, 05:01:02 PM »

The only person who knows I write fanfic is my sister. No one else knows & never will!

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #688 on: July 26, 2012, 05:03:16 PM »

I have a question which has probably been answered before but I can't remember.

Do your friends/family in real life know that you write fan fiction?

I have several family and friends who know I write fanfic.  I have a co-worker that I talk to when I get stuck, heck even the guy I go to lunch with knows I write BSB fanfic.  I've gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me that much if I am talking and it comes out but I also don't advertise it to everyone I talk to.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #689 on: July 26, 2012, 05:03:20 PM »

My mom knows, but that's because of Julie lmao. Maybe she still has the photos. One year for Christmas she sent me a 00Carter - Drums doll she made lmfao. I loved it and it's beside my "Magic Turtle" on my computer desk. My mom saw it though once so then I had to explain everything, including the concept of fanfiction. She's the only one who knows though.

Everyone else just knows I write.

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/joolligan/Funny/drumsdollbox.jpg

And the Drums doll was inspired by the Broken Nick doll that my friend Susan made for me for Christmas one year, which I had to open in secret in my bedroom and then lie to my parents about what had been in that package and then hide it inside a pair of sweatpants in the back of my closet.  LOL It's STILL hidden in that pair of sweatpants in a box in my closet, and I live alone now!

But Broken Nick doll and Drums doll were buddies before I shipped Drums off to Rose!

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q289/joolligan/Funny/drumsbrokennickdolls.jpg
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 49