Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 87553 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #195 on: July 30, 2012, 10:23:25 PM »

I just thought of a question lol

Who are some of your favorite villains you have either written or read and what in your mind makes a great villain?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #196 on: July 30, 2012, 10:30:45 PM »

Best villian I have read is Howie in 00Carter :) he's so complex yet so simple. I love how he is written as an AU character because come on....can anyone imagine Howard being so evil?

As for villian I've written....I'd say Valerie hands down. She's just batshit crazy and was a lot of fun to play with.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #197 on: July 30, 2012, 10:58:16 PM »

AJ:
Read: Sinister Devotion
Wrote: Widow's Walk

Nick:
Read: Rewind
Wrote: Amnesia

Kevin:
Read: The Garden
Wrote: Chronos Project

Brian:
Read: Mind Games
Wrote: Severed Identities

Howie:
Read: *coughs* I can't recall the ones I've read ... uhhhh poor Howie
Wrote: 00Carter

Who are some of your favorite villains you have either written or read and what in your mind makes a great villain?

I love writing villains.  It sounds really bad but I have an easier time getting into the villains' heads.   I love writing Dr. Rough scenes for 00Carter, I quickly volunteer to write scenes with him in it.  But my favorite villain that I've written is Corin in Wulf's Bane.  He is just so evil I don't kno why I enjoy writing him but I do.  I am sure I've read some really great villains but I can't think of any in fanfic.   

Great villains make you wish they were defeated but you can't help but want to know what they are going to do next.  What more can they do to make themselves the villain.  I don't know how else to describe what makes a villain great. LOL
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #198 on: July 30, 2012, 11:59:09 PM »

I have a question for Saka-Steph, Mare, Rose, and anyone else who writes stories that alternate between all five guys' POVs:

When you balance the five POVs that way, do you find that some of the guys are harder to write than others?  If so, which are the hardest for you and why?  Do you think the ease or difficulty of writing the guys has to do more with how well you like them or how well you can relate to them?

"Here We Stand" is my first attempt at writing all five POVs. (Except in Undead but it's AU and it had five original characters too). I usually go with Brian and Nick, sometimes AJ. I wanted to challenge myself and I loved the idea of a reunion story so when Mare mentioned it in a thread here I ran with it. Honestly it's harder than I realized lol. The biggest challenge is trying to make sure they each sound unique while still sounding like the Boys we know.

The easiest for me are Nick and Kevin. Kevin's role I know very well, I can relate to the big brother thing, I kind of write him like how my oldest brother is with me, the youngest of five siblings. So I can easily picture him. Nick is the same way, I get a lot of him from me. I can relate to him in a lot of ways. When I write him, it flows like it doesn't with any of the others.

AJ's not hard persay, but I like delving into his issues too. In that the biggest challenge is to make sure he doesn't slip into "Nick" as I write him. Usually it's remedied by his cursing or just how he'll say whatever the hell he's thinking. Sometimes I try to have him comedic or I give him emo on a darker level than I give Nick. It depends on the story.

Brian's not hard to write normally, but in HWS he is. I think it's simply because I find it hard to relate to him. I usually rely on his bond with Nick to get me through lol. It's why even though he's my fave with Nick, he's harder to write in stories and why I only have one Brian story lol. And even in that one I take everything away so I can write him better :P. I just have virtually nothing in common with Brian or his lifestyle right now so he's hard to write. In HWS I focused in on his Kevin bond because honestly, that's the one thing I can relate to lol - a family member who's like one of your best friends and in some ways closer than your siblings, but you never noticed growing up lol.

Howie's the other one I have a hard time with. But this isn't his fault. His sense of humor is really one that sneaks up on you. He's hilarious but it's just the kind that's hard to translate into words in a story. He's also in some ways similar to Brian. And so I run into the same problem I have with AJ/Nick, trying to make sure he doesn't start sounding like "Brian". I also can't relate to Howie much, except on the idea of having four "brothers" (in my case siblings) who seem to outshine you or get noticed, for both good and bad things. So usually I focus in on that because it's how I relate to him.

So the point of this long post is that yeah, it has a lot to do with how much I can relate to him as people.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #199 on: July 31, 2012, 12:01:57 AM »

My favorites for each guy...

AJ:
read - Nowhere to Run
wrote - The World Will Know Your Name

Nick:
read - Cover Me With Dreams
wrote - Curtain Call

Kevin:
read - The Importance of Fly Fishing
wrote - Guilty Roads (I like my Kevin comatose LOL.  Really, I just don't write Kevin stories!)

Brian:
read - Mind Games
wrote - Secrets of the Heart

Howie:
read - He Had it Coming
wrote - 00Carter

Awww I'm honored I wrote your fave Howie fic. It's only because he epically murders Nick huh? LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #200 on: July 31, 2012, 12:19:33 AM »

^ Precisely.  And also because I haven't read many Howie stories LOL.  But homicidal Howie is definitely my favorite Howie to read!

Which brings me to the villain question.  Dr. Rough in 00Carter is definitely my favorite villain I've written.  (Thanks, Tracy, for mentioning him!)  He's kind of like Kim Jong Il in "Team America," this completely over-the-top supervillain who has a Napoleon complex, a love of fine things, and a soft spot that makes him seem not so villainous at times.  Because it's a spoof, he's the cliched evil genius whose ultimate goal is world domination or destruction, but he's got his motives and insecurities as well, and those have been especially fun to write.

My favorite fanfic villains tend to be the more believable ones, the ones who are actually scary.  Mare's "Beautiful Girl" was terrifying because I could imagine a crazy fan actually doing something like that if given the opportunity.  In fact, there's one on YouTube right now who kind of fits that bill... *twitch*  Xavier in "Mind Games" was another one who really was scary because he was able to get away with doing so many horrible things to Brian right under the other guys' noses.  Mo in "Scared of Reality" was another good one.  He always had an air of desperation, a guy who knew he'd dug himself in too deep and was struggling to find a way out.  Desperate people are scary because they're unpredictable and will do anything to save themselves.  Steph's bot flies were pretty badass villains too!  Or should I call them heroes? LOL
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 12:21:56 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #201 on: July 31, 2012, 12:47:06 AM »

What is your favorite story you've written and read of each of the guys?

AJ:
Written: Crazy... http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10356
Read:  Watch Me As I Bleed http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9203

Nick:
Written: Remember Me This Way http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10108
Read: The Importance of Fly Fishing http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=3655

Kevin:
Written: The Only Truth I Know (it's the only Kevin fic I've written really lol) http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10772
Read: "It's Your Life" by Eboni - it's really funny that years later Kevin did take a break. I just liked how she wrote Kevin's frustrations and his wishing none of it ever happened, and him witnessing the "What If"? of that. http://web.archive.org/web/20031130031204/http://bewaretheenchanted.homestead.com/ItsYourLifeindex.html

Brian:
Read: If We Were A Movie http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8656
Written: Walked Out Of My Dreams - http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10274

Howie:
Read: Um...I don't really read Howie stories. Oh! "Not Your Average Cinderella Story" was one! I win! LMAO. http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8205&index=1
Written: 00Carter http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9085

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #202 on: July 31, 2012, 12:52:28 AM »

My favorite villains to write are usually the ones that are either way over the top, or the ones that you can relate to. The ones who are in this weird shade of grey instead of being pure good or pure evil. Because of that it's not a shock to see my fave two villains I've had a hand in writing are Dr. Rough and Drums in 00Carter. Dr. Rough you can never be too big with him, he has all the issues of a real person but because it's a spoof, we can go a little crazy. And then Drums, despite how we created him to mock out of our hatred of Justin Timberlake, he's got layers. He used to be this good agent and then circumstances took that from him. Dr. Rough saw that and warped him into something darker, feeding on the insecurities Drums had.

I feel like the best villains are the ones that still have humanity in there somewhere. They're the ones where you can see why they became as screwed up as they are LOL. The second answer to that are the ones that are truly evil, the ones that just creep you the hell out. Julie mentioned the fan in Mare's "Beautiful Girl" and I think that's a perfect example. She's realistic and yet so totally screwed up in the head and it's just creepy beyond belief.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #203 on: July 31, 2012, 01:27:21 AM »

Favorite stories:

Nick Written: Not The Other Guy
Nick Read: Total Kaos 24/7 if I have to pick. Cause there's a lot that are my favorite.

Brian Written: The Dating Game
Brian Read: Borrowed Time

Kevin Written: Camping With The Devil (because it's the only Kevin story I've done)
Kevin Read: The Importance Of Fly Fishing

Howie Written: Howie Snaps
Howie Read: Back To Me

AJ Written: Forces Of Nature (my only AJ story)
AJ Read: Sincerely Yours

Group Written: Weird World
Group Read: Whatever The Night May Bring

It was really hard for me to choose just one. I wanted to list a bunch for each category because there are so many that I like equally.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #204 on: July 31, 2012, 02:41:49 AM »

What is your favorite story you've written and read of each of the guys?

AJ:
Read - Sinister Devotion by Erika
Wrote - Ten Things as I don't think I've written any other AJ only stories.

Nick:
Read - Curtain Call by Julie
Wrote - Rewind

Kevin:
Read - It's A Wonderful Life, Kevin by Pengi
Wrote - Life Begins At Forty

Brian:
Read - Severed Identities by Lore
Wrote - Valentine Insanity (it's the only Brian story I've done)

Howie:
Read - Not Your Average Cinderella Story by Honey
Wrote - The Man With Two Brains

Group:
Read - Why I'd Do It All Again by Mare/Song For The Undead by Rose and Julie.  I chose two because one is AU and one isn't and I had to have both :)
Wrote - Save A Prayer

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #205 on: July 31, 2012, 02:46:35 AM »

The only villains I've written have been Brian in Unwinding Truth and Nick in Revenge of the Slaughtered.  But some of my favourites to read have been Max in What Lurks Around The Corner, Nick in Chronos Project, Valerie in Figured You Out and I can't think of any others right now. 

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #206 on: July 31, 2012, 03:09:31 AM »

Thanks for the mentions, Steph and Rose!  LOL I forgot about Nick in Revenge of the Slaughtered.  I guess he is a villain - haha.  I just got done watching two hours of documentaries about serial killers on the Bio channel too!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #207 on: July 31, 2012, 03:31:29 AM »

Thank you Steph! I love Valerie. She was so much fun.

Some of my favorite villains include:

Howie from 00Carter
Lou and Johnny in Borrowed Time
Max in What Lurks Around The Corner
Nick in Chronos Project
Leighanne in one of Karah's stories, it was the Nick and Harley series but I wanna say The Story Of Us? Not sure offhand.

Villains I've written: I mentioned Valerie earlier but Kevin and Nick's clone in Weird World come to mind :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #208 on: July 31, 2012, 04:05:00 AM »

Thanks Steph!

LOL Julie, I totally forgot about Nick in Revenge. Probably because he's a hot homicidal maniac?

And you're welcome, you know I can't resist a story where AJ talks about everyone being chopped apart :P.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #209 on: July 31, 2012, 04:45:20 AM »

Oh and and I forgot...

Group:
Read: Why I'd Do It All Again (I adore that story Mare lol). http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=4981
Written: Song For The Undead http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9551

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 33