Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 87572 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #330 on: August 04, 2012, 10:38:38 PM »

Sorry I haven't been on to answer questions, I've been quite busy today. Haven't been on twitter since this morning. Anyways. Here is my list:

Stories that haven't been updated in a long time but I'm keeping track of:

Divine Intervention by Rose
Walked Out Of My Dreams by Rose
Guilty Roads by rokofages75
00Carter
Bad Romance by Pengi
The Time Watcher by Pengi

In Progress Stories:

Eyes Open by myconfession, BiLittrell

Song For The Undead by Rose and RokofAges75

Running Up That Hill by sakabelle

Severed Identities by PurpuraLipstic k

Unwinding Truth by Carter-Orange and PurpuraLipstic k

Borrowed Time by Pengi

I'm sure There's stories I'm forgetting, but haven't been updated in so long that I can't remember what they are.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #331 on: August 04, 2012, 10:41:02 PM »

Here's another question:

What are some of the things you have read within the last year? What made you click on it and did you stick with it or plan on sticking with it until it's finished? Is it updated frequently? Does the author know you're reading it?

I just posted my list but I forgot to answer this part.

I click on stories that sound interesting by the summary, or if it is an author I've consistently enjoyed in the past...then I will read it.

I plan on sticking with them until they are finished :)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #332 on: August 04, 2012, 10:50:06 PM »

What do you consider your comfort food for fanfic? Like if you had to choose only ONE genre to read or write ONLY ONE!! No cheating!! What is your go to and why?

Well food wise I always turn to ice cream or something sweet.

Same goes for fanfic. I usually go for the group stories that give me the warm fuzzies, like a story set back in the day....or a story where they all take care of each other like brothers. I love stories that make me feel good. If I had to pick a genre it would be suspense though.

I really wish more people would give (Insert Name of story(yours or someone else's)/idea/genre/fandom/etc...here) a chance because ....

I wish people would give Weird World a chance, because although it has a female lead, (well two) she isn't the sole focus of the story. It is a group story with all five BSB....set around the Millennium era. It has science fiction, suspense and adventure with a hint of romance, but romance is not the focus.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #333 on: August 04, 2012, 10:51:10 PM »

What do you consider your comfort food for fanfic? Like if you had to choose only ONE genre to read or write ONLY ONE!! No cheating!! What is your go to and why?

This took me a minute since I never settle too long in a genre, I go through phases LOL. I'd say drama. Because although it's mixed in with other genres almost all my stories have drama mixed in. Anything that taps into real emotion will do it for me.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #334 on: August 04, 2012, 10:51:49 PM »

FML okay yes, again, I feel guilty. But I'm writing more again! LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #335 on: August 04, 2012, 10:53:20 PM »

Another question:

Well not really a question, more like a statement lol Can you tell i'm bored? It figures that no one is around. :(

This is the sentence:

I really wish more people would give (Insert Name of story(yours or someone else's)/idea/genre/fandom/etc...here) a chance because ....

Sci-fi a chance, both in writing and reading. There's some great sci-fis out there if you dig enough (Yesterday's Blue Skies comes immediately to mind), where the Boys are still our Boys and are incredibly well written. And I wish more people wrote it cause I love to read it LOL.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #336 on: August 04, 2012, 10:55:20 PM »

*side eyes Rose* well....ok. I guess that will do ;)

myconfession

« Reply #337 on: August 05, 2012, 12:18:52 AM »

Oh my God.... with my last full week of work and packing in my free time, moving is killing me answering questions. I know Hannah will agree since she just arrived in Nashvegas. That'll be me next Saturday!

Will try to get around to answering questions tomorrow!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #338 on: August 05, 2012, 12:58:02 AM »

Another question:

Well not really a question, more like a statement lol Can you tell i'm bored? It figures that no one is around. :(

This is the sentence:

I'm having a tough time answering this one, so I'm just going to respond with a couple of follow-up questions LOL.

1.  What are your fanfic turn-offs, things that would prevent you from wanting to click on a story to give it a chance?

2.  Name a time when you took a chance on a story that you thought wouldn't appeal to you and ended up loving it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #339 on: August 05, 2012, 01:51:36 AM »

1.  What are your fanfic turn-offs, things that would prevent you from wanting to click on a story to give it a chance?

If the summary doesn't catch my attention that is usually one thing. Grammar....I don't read slash or straight romance. I like romance if it is mixed with something, like comedy or suspense....an d has interesting characters. I don't really like stories laden with sex scenes either, one or two are ok but I don't like visuals.

2.  Name a time when you took a chance on a story that you thought wouldn't appeal to you and ended up loving it.

Prime example of this was 00Carter. I had seen it pop up several times while roaming most recent but I didn't know if it was something I would read. I was reading a lot of suspense and angst at the time so action/adventure didn't seem interesting.

However I was really bored and came across the story, looked at it and just clicked on it for the hell of it. I was pleasantly surprised, it is really funny and clever, I love how there are "episodes" like it is a TV series. There's so much I could say about 00Carter, but I'm really glad I gave it a shot because I am open to reading all kinds of genres now. You don't know what you'll get unless you click! ;)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #340 on: August 05, 2012, 03:38:44 AM »

Like for me and food, whenever we talk about where to eat, no matter what people suggest, chinese food always wins in the end for me. Nothing beats it except maybe the Cheesecake Factory but since I don't live anywhere near one of those... chinese it is, and yes, I had chinese food today lol

Same idea for fanfic, if I had to pick any other genre or action/suspense, I would go for action/suspense every time. I just feel like they move faster, there are rarely if ever, a ton of filler chapters in a good suspense story and it's really the only genre I can think of where I am willing to read an entire story in one sitting, If it's a good story! Same with writing. I move so much faster when writing a suspense than any other genre. My fingers move with the action of the scene.

So, what about you guys?

Mmm Chinese is my favourite too...and chocolate :)

As for fanfic comfort food, probably drama mixed in with something else, like action or suspense.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #341 on: August 05, 2012, 03:43:22 AM »

Another question:

This is the sentence:

I really wish more people would give Unwinding Truth a chance because it's an AU, action, adventure and sci-fi type of story set in a post-apocalyptic world and we're enjoying writing it :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #342 on: August 05, 2012, 03:54:33 AM »

I'm having a tough time answering this one, so I'm just going to respond with a couple of follow-up questions LOL.

1.  If the summary was really awful and contained spelling errors, or had something like "summary coming later".

2.  On The Rails.  I remember reading the summary and thinking it wouldn't be for me, the idea of a travelling musician and a mute piano player just didn't do anything for me.  But I loved her other story On Nightingale Hill and was bored one day, so I gave it a go and was hooked!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #343 on: August 05, 2012, 05:42:17 AM »

Prime example of this was 00Carter. I had seen it pop up several times while roaming most recent but I didn't know if it was something I would read. I was reading a lot of suspense and angst at the time so action/adventure didn't seem interesting.

However I was really bored and came across the story, looked at it and just clicked on it for the hell of it. I was pleasantly surprised, it is really funny and clever, I love how there are "episodes" like it is a TV series. There's so much I could say about 00Carter, but I'm really glad I gave it a shot because I am open to reading all kinds of genres now. You don't know what you'll get unless you click! ;)

Thanks, Tracy!  00Carter is one of the stories I was thinking of in response to Mare's question; I do wish more people gave it a chance, but at the same time, I completely understand why they don't.  Honestly, if I weren't writing it, I don't think I would have ever clicked on 00Carter either LOL.  It doesn't sound like my kind of story at all, and it has a lot of elements that I know some people don't like - it's AU, it's a crossover, it has a lot of characters, many of whom are female, it has lots of co-authors, it has long chapters, it doesn't get updated consistently, it looks like a James Bond parody, it has a lot of over-the-top, cartoonish humor, etc.  Lots of strikes against it.  That said, even though I'm obviously biased, I love it and wish that more people appreciated it.  It means a lot that you do! :)
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #344 on: August 05, 2012, 05:53:19 AM »

2.  On The Rails.  I remember reading the summary and thinking it wouldn't be for me, the idea of a travelling musician and a mute piano player just didn't do anything for me.  But I loved her other story On Nightingale Hill and was bored one day, so I gave it a go and was hooked!

I really need to read this story sometime.  I've heard nothing but amazing things about it, but I was like you - I remember reading the summary when she first started posting it, and even though I knew from reading On Nightingale Hill that it would be well-written, it just didn't interest me.  I think at this point, though, I'll probably just wait to see if she finishes it and then go back and read it in its entirety.  I'm still waiting for updates on On Nightingale Hill!

Speaking of which, On Nightingale Hill is one of those stories I took a chance on, when I normally wouldn't have.  I'm not a big fan of sci-fi, but I'd heard good things about it, so I gave it a try and got sucked in!

Another one would be Between the Lines, which I'd seen nominated for awards and recommended all over the place, but I could never get into it until I literally forced myself to read more than the first chapter, and now it's one of my favorites!  Seriously one of the best-written BSB fics I've ever read!

To answer the first part of my question, these are turn-offs for me:
- Improper conventions/formatting or spelling/grammar/punctuation errors
- Overly long summaries that reveal every part of the story and backstory
- Sci-fi/fantasy
- AU
- Crossovers
- Fictional wives/girlfriends/children
- Blatant author self-inserts (especially when the author's picture is in the banner)
- Romance as the main storyline, without interesting subplots/subgenres
- Howie- or Kevin-centered stories

That's not to say I won't read a story if it has one or even more than one of those elements.  I've both read and written stories with a lot of those that I've enjoyed.  There are always exceptions.  In general, though, those are things that make a story seem less appealing to me.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 33