Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33

Author Topic: Question of the Day Part 5  (Read 87561 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the Day Part 5
« Reply #360 on: August 05, 2012, 01:19:27 PM »

The only other fandom I have written in was Supernatural. I've always wanted to do a Numb3rs crossover with BSB but never did.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

myconfession

« Reply #361 on: August 05, 2012, 01:40:09 PM »

Okay, I'm gonna try to catch up....
Story that I would turn into a movie....
"The Story of Us"

I really wish more people would give (Insert Name of story(yours or someone else's)/idea/genre/fandom/etc...here) a chance because ....

"Love This Pain," although it's offline now because I self-published it, so I guess one that is online... The "Fearless" series. I think Lisa and I took a generic idea and did more with it. It's not the typical girls follow a tour story. It's not just people screwing one another's brains out (I admit, "IWBB" was that). I think, even though Nick romance is probably the most popular genre, that a lot of people look down on Nick romance because they think it's all the same. For the most part, maybe they are. I know my first couple of stories were very cheesy, Mary-Sueish, etc. I feel like there's more NKOTB fans that are reading the story than BSB fans, so I wish more BSB fans would give it a shot.

What do you consider your comfort food for fanfic? Like if you had to choose only ONE genre to read or write ONLY ONE!! No cheating!! What is your go to and why?

Romance, I love romance. There's just some things I can't read, but romance I can because I guess it's relatable.

Turn-Offs for stories.... even though I don't read much...

- Huge blocks of text.
- Horrible banners that either a.) look like a 5 year old got a hold of paint and b.) includes an obvious self-protrait in it.
- It tells the entire plot in the summary.
- Howie or Kevin are the main characters.
- Nick isn't involved.
- Horror or adventure, not really into those genres.

2.  Name a time when you took a chance on a story that you thought wouldn't appeal to you and ended up loving it.
Borrowed Time by Hannah.... it's Brian centered, but I love it. I've just got to finish reading it and catch up!

Other fandom?

NKOTB obviously, especially Donnie and Joey.

I've written several NASCAR stories with drivers involved. After MC, I had a NASCAR fan fiction website, that's like AC here, that when I got out of it, friends took it over and it's still up and the biggest NASCAR fan fiction website there is. I tried to get into writing "Friends" fan fiction after the show ended, but just couldn't do it.

I've written other artist in my stories, such as the members of Rascal Flatts, TIm McGraw, Faith Hill and even Ashton Kutcher.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #362 on: August 05, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »

Here's another question on the same lines as the other fandom thing, for the people who have tried to write real life fics versus others which did you find more difficult because for it's much easier to write about BSB than it was for Supernatural. Maybe because I feel like those characters are just that, characters who someone else totally created from scratch to begin with. I have no idea why that is so difficult for me as opposed to messing with real people and their lives lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #363 on: August 05, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »

I actually find that doing real person fic is a lot harder. Which is probably weird for me to say since now, 99% of what I write is real person. But when I was writing a lot of Avatar fic, I found that getting into the heads of the characters and portraying them as believeable was a lot easier because through watching the show, the characters are explained through all angles. Because they're fictional characters, the storyline basically tells us everything we need to know about them, and it helps that Avatar is such a character heavy and emotionally heavy show. So I found it really easy to figure out what a character would do in a particular situation.

With real person fic I find you have to watch interviews and stuff and build their personality around the little bits that are given to you. Obviously a lot of us have been in BSB fandom for a long time, so it's easy to know what the guys are like, but I still feel like there's that element of creating a character in Nick or whoever because he is a real person and because we don't actually know what he's really like. When writing about a character from a show, that character sketch is already laid out for you.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #364 on: August 05, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »

Ok, I have another question, and it's a fitting one coming from me. Is there any other fandom besides BSB that you've wanted to write in, but haven't yet?

Besides BSB, I've written a few Take That stories, a Twilight one-shot and a Supernatural/BSB crossover.  I would love to write some more Supernatural or maybe Doctor Who. 

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #365 on: August 05, 2012, 02:57:51 PM »

Here's another question on the same lines as the other fandom thing, for the people who have tried to write real life fics versus others which did you find more difficult because for it's much easier to write about BSB than it was for Supernatural. Maybe because I feel like those characters are just that, characters who someone else totally created from scratch to begin with. I have no idea why that is so difficult for me as opposed to messing with real people and their lives lol

I'm not sure which I found easier, but I certainly enjoyed writing the Winchester brothers in Games :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #366 on: August 05, 2012, 03:06:45 PM »

And Steph mentioned Unsuspecting Sunday Afternoon. That was another one I read that took me by complete surprise as far as me liking it. And you also mentioned you wish more people would try romance. I think that's a pretty popular genre I just think it might not seem that way because most of the people who actually post in here happen to like non romance. I wish more people posted besides the same few of us just so we could get those differing opinions every once in awhile but not sure how to get the lurkers to actually post. lol

That's a story I want to read, but as it's incomplete and hasn't been updated for over 3 years, I don't want to start it and end up hooked.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #367 on: August 05, 2012, 03:15:27 PM »

Here's another question:

What are some of the things you have read within the last year? What made you click on it and did you stick with it or plan on sticking with it until it's finished? Is it updated frequently? Does the author know you're reading it?

Let's see...

Chronos Project - for the AC challenge
Scattered Pictures
Guilty Roads
Secrets of the Heart
Running Up That Hill
Maybe Tomorrow
Save a Prayer
Fracture
The Archangels
Last Christmas

I'm behind on a lot of these lol, but I plan on reading to catch up when I get a moment too. The only ones that are finished are Save a Prayer, and Chronos Project right now. Some of these (like Save a Prayer) are just my kind of story, the Boys, gross things, and lots of action, or bromance. Others are written by my favorite authors and I know I usually love what they write.

When I read something, the authors always know. I review frequently and even if I'm behind I make sure to tell them it's not the story, it's real life getting in the way LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #368 on: August 05, 2012, 03:18:17 PM »

Thanks!  And LOL, don't feel bad about the self-inserts; I have done self-inserts too (though I've never put myself in a banner and never will! LOL).   There's another strike against 00Carter, because Rose and Dee and I, the three ringleaders that sort of organized the whole thing, used ourselves as inspiration for the original three Carter girls - Professor Pearl, Diamond Divine, and Red Jewel.  They're definitely exaggerated, romanticized versions of ourselves, obviously LOL, and it was all in good fun, but still.  I've done a real self-insert with my name too.  Like I said, pretty much everything on that list of turn-offs, I've done myself at one point or another.

You know though, I don't think they are now the way they were then. They've morphed into their own, I think LOL. And it's really funny since my fave character is none of those...but Emerald lmao, in terms of females. That and I don't think people would've known unless we said it. Self-inserts I can handle, it's blatant ones who have no personality who drive me nuts LOL.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #369 on: August 05, 2012, 03:23:50 PM »

Speaking of romance, I don't hate it....it is just something I don't read a lot of. I write it myself but just haven't been motivated to finish it. My Nick and Amanda series is AU and I know a lot of people aren't into it, but I enjoy writing it.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #370 on: August 05, 2012, 03:30:57 PM »

1.  What are your fanfic turn-offs, things that would prevent you from wanting to click on a story to give it a chance?

Poorly written summary
The title being Untitled (for now!) -  variation of that lol. If you don't know your title, you don't know your story well enough to be posting.
Blatant self-inserts. If it's that obvious, I won't read it. You need to try and hide a little bit that this is your fantasy.
Author's picture in the banner
Romances that don't even sound remotely unique in the summary.
Howie or AJ stories (I've been known to read a Kevin one, but it's rare)
NKOTB
Lots of grammar/spelling errors

2.  Name a time when you took a chance on a story that you thought wouldn't appeal to you and ended up loving it.

If We Were a Movie by Honey. It's definitely not my normal type of story LOL. But I knew Kelly was a great writer and I couldn't find anything to read, so I tried it. It's one of my favorite stories now. (See, I don't completely hate romance, I'm just incredibly picky! :P)

Ok, I have another question, and it's a fitting one coming from me. Is there any other fandom besides BSB that you've wanted to write in, but haven't yet?

For awhile I toyed with writing an Inuyasha fanfic, believe it or not LOL. But I never could find a plot I loved enough to ever go for it. I've dabbed in other fandoms and all that, but I've never really stuck to writing them long. Seems like BSB is the only one that holds me LOL.

As for it being harder to write outside of BSB or not, I find it harder. Maybe it's because I like my fics that aren't real person to be more in canon. And I feel like it's harder to keep them in canon than it is BSB. Or maybe because in fanfic outside of real person, they're not my creations so I feel like it's not really mine. I mean yeah BSB are real people not characters I came up with, but I feel like I can add quirks and such based on what we've seen of them. I don't know, I just feel less limited with them LOL.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #371 on: August 05, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »

That's a story I want to read, but as it's incomplete and hasn't been updated for over 3 years, I don't want to start it and end up hooked.

Yeah, at that point I'd say wait to see if it's ever finished lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #372 on: August 05, 2012, 04:11:57 PM »

I don't know that she'll ever finish it unfortunately =\ I still talk to her on Facebook sometimes but she's been really busy with grad school.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #373 on: August 05, 2012, 04:21:53 PM »

That's a shame, I guess I'll never know how good that story is then :(

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #374 on: August 05, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »

If I could pick up and finish that story, I would! lol but I'd never be able to do it justice. And I want to read it, not write it.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 33