Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78755 times)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #180 on: August 15, 2012, 10:20:20 AM »

Not sure about the Take That fandom since i'm not really familiar with them, but that's just a mess! Banning people because they didn't read? That just takes power hungry douche to a whole new level!!

That was just on the site I used to go on.  I don't know about any other Take That sites as I don't go on any, I was put off by the power hungry mods on that one.

The thing is though, the women who used to write on there were mostly older than me!  But in amongst some of the rubbish, there were a few good ones, even though they were self-inserts.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #181 on: August 15, 2012, 10:22:15 AM »

Which brings me to a question...Do you ever feel like you're done with writing Fanfics? What are some of the reasons you want to quit and some of the reasons you don't quit?

I can't see me quitting reading or writing because it's something I enjoy.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #182 on: August 15, 2012, 10:26:08 AM »

Oh, and the baseball fic you mentioned Karah was called Between the Lines. I didn't realize that one was popular though lol weird.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #183 on: August 15, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »

That was just on the site I used to go on.  I don't know about any other Take That sites as I don't go on any, I was put off by the power hungry mods on that one.

The thing is though, the women who used to write on there were mostly older than me!  But in amongst some of the rubbish, there were a few good ones, even though they were self-inserts.

That's just crazy though, no matter how you slice it! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

myconfession

« Reply #184 on: August 15, 2012, 10:35:24 AM »

Oh, and the baseball fic you mentioned Karah was called Between the Lines. I didn't realize that one was popular though lol weird.

LMFAO It's all I heard some people talking about... I guess because I was always friends with a lot of sports fans LOL! That might have been it LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #185 on: August 15, 2012, 10:36:33 AM »

If you could pick five fanfics to put in a time capsule that would best represent the BSB fanfic fandom what would you choose and why?

Song For The Undead
Why I'd Do It All Again
Ground Zero
Homecoming
Just One Kiss

I'd pick these because they're some of my favourites and also because they show the diversity in the type of stories written about the boys.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #186 on: August 15, 2012, 10:38:21 AM »

I've never read that Oreos story or the baseball one because baseball wouldn't appeal to me.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #187 on: August 15, 2012, 12:25:12 PM »

I do remember way back in the day, all those other things that you mentioned about people and what they do in other fandoms, they used to do in this one. The self inserts, the self promotion. I remember at one point that if you didn't write slash or visuals or romances you were pretty much nothing in this fandom. I mean all that other stuff was stil out there but nowhere near as popular as it is now. We've come a long way and our standards have gotten higher but I think it's because we are all older.

I'm not positive but I think when you look at the 1D general fan population it represents more how this fandom was back for us maybe in 99 when most of their fans were teens and very early twenties.

Now most of us are in our mid twenties and up. Hopefully they'll evolve too as long as their group is still relevant lol

Not sure about the Take That fandom since i'm not really familiar with them, but that's just a mess! Banning people because they didn't read? That just takes power hungry douche to a whole new level!!

That's what I think. The 1D fandom is pretty much what we were like in the 90s LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #188 on: August 15, 2012, 12:28:28 PM »

Oreos for Breakfast

It's not as popular on this forum, but back in the day, it seemed like everyone was raving about that story!!  It was the 50 Shades of Grey of BSB fanfic back in the mid-2000s or so LOL.

Oh god yes LOL. That would've been it. Still don't get why but I agree.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #189 on: August 15, 2012, 12:45:08 PM »

If you could pick five fanfics to put in a time capsule that would best represent the BSB fanfic fandom what would you choose and why?

Where Can We Go From Here? by Whitney
Ground Zero by Chaos
The Answer is Yes by Eboni
Curtain Call by Julie
Why I'd Do It All Again by Mare

I tried to pull one of each trend or genre. Bus Crash, illness, bromance, sci-fi and kidnapping. Each one was incredibly well written. It's also a good mix of old school and recent.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #190 on: August 15, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »

Song For The Undead
Why I'd Do It All Again
Ground Zero
Homecoming
Just One Kiss

I'd pick these because they're some of my favourites and also because they show the diversity in the type of stories written about the boys.

Awww thanks Steph!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #191 on: August 15, 2012, 12:55:28 PM »

Here's a question...I'm sure I asked it before but it needs to come up again.

Why do you feel certain stories are talked about a lot/are popular? I mean we've all seen people come up with different theories. The "oh only people in a clique get noticed" or "people do nothing but brown nose when they mention stories instead of ones they like" or "it's because I write slash no one notices what else I write", etc. So what do you think?

I think a lot of it has to do with how well written it is. I know for me, I'm not going to rave about a story unless I really loved it. Hell half the stories I rave about aren't even posted here, the writers aren't even around anymore LOL. A story is popular based on three things: genre, quality of writing, and what boy it features. Which is more important varies. Romance is huge but there's romances that go ignored here. Quality of writing can get a usually ignored genre noticed but there's plenty of amazing stories that fly under the radar. What Boy it features though is usually a given though. A Nick story will always get noticed more than a Howie story LOL.

It's not that complicated, to me anyway.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #192 on: August 15, 2012, 01:31:35 PM »

Here's a question...I'm sure I asked it before but it needs to come up again.

Why do you feel certain stories are talked about a lot/are popular? I mean we've all seen people come up with different theories. The "oh only people in a clique get noticed" or "people do nothing but brown nose when they mention stories instead of ones they like" or "it's because I write slash no one notices what else I write", etc. So what do you think?

For me, I don't care who writes it, as long as the story is something I like and is well written.   

I suppose Nick stories are always going to be more popular than the rest, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't read a Howie story, because I would if it looked like something I'd enjoy.

I agree with Rose though, a story is popular because of the quality of writing and which boy it is (usually).

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #193 on: August 15, 2012, 01:38:41 PM »

Which brings me to a question...Do you ever feel like you're done with writing Fanfics? What are some of the reasons you want to quit and some of the reasons you don't quit?

I would be half-tempted to say no to this but then I think about what I was telling you earlier on Twitter. My last chapter was posted a year and a half ago. I'd say it's safe to say I already am done. :(
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #194 on: August 15, 2012, 01:51:01 PM »

When I compliment someone for their writing it is genuine. I don't read anything to please someone or because it is popular/unpopular. I like what I like. Sometimes I also forget old stories I've read and certain ones stick, that's why I mention them more than others. Doesn't mean the writer is horrible, just that I do read a lot of stories.

I tried reading Oreos For Breakfast, I didn't really get into it, I'm not usually into visuals or stories with a lot of sex. I like romance mixed with something else to be different. I like Karah's stories because she adds drama or comedy, I like comedy a lot. I really enjoyed Just One Kiss because of that as well. The comedy kept me interested :)

I think a story becomes popular because of the quality of writing. I am more likely to read a Nick centered story, but I like group centered as well. I have read ones about the other guys also.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 35