Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78749 times)

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2012, 02:10:23 PM »

When I compliment someone for their writing it is genuine. I don't read anything to please someone or because it is popular/unpopular. I like what I like. Sometimes I also forget old stories I've read and certain ones stick, that's why I mention them more than others. Doesn't mean the writer is horrible, just that I do read a lot of stories.

I tried reading Oreos For Breakfast, I didn't really get into it, I'm not usually into visuals or stories with a lot of sex. I like romance mixed with something else to be different. I like Karah's stories because she adds drama or comedy, I like comedy a lot. I really enjoyed Just One Kiss because of that as well. The comedy kept me interested :)
I think a story becomes popular because of the quality of writing. I am more likely to read a Nick centered story, but I like group centered as well. I have read ones about the other guys also
Glad you enjoyed it Tracy!

Song For The Undead
Why I'd Do It All Again
Ground Zero
Homecoming
Just One Kiss

I'd pick these because they're some of my favourites and also because they show the diversity in the type of stories written about the boys.

Thanks Steph! :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:16:29 PM by kevmylove »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2012, 02:15:26 PM »

I really think like everyone else has said, it's mainly the quality of writing but i'm also adding word of mouth.

It's funny what word of mouth can do for a story. All it takes really is someone on twitter saying  "Did you read this by that person? It's so good!" and then that person reads it and passes it along to the next person etc... I'm not talking about self promo, i'm talking about other people promo lol

In the end if it's a great plot, very well written and about something that appeals to a lot of people, it's going to do well.

Nick, romance, some kind of drama = a story everyone will love (almost everyone)

I have yet to hear someone say "Did you read that great story about Howie being impregnated by Justin Timberlake with a ton of grammatcal errors and stuff? And the fifteen foot glittery banner with the author's face on Howie's pregnant belly? Yeah, that was AWESOME!" Well except for maybe the person who wrote it lmao

There's always going to be popular stories where some of us will be like "I don't get it!"

Just like stories some of us think are the bees knees and others are like uh... seriously?

I know it's sometimes irksome but that's how it goes.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:17:19 PM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2012, 02:16:10 PM »

Thanks Steph and Rose :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2012, 02:17:27 PM »

Another question in relation to that one:

All of us have that one or two stories that we are known for even if it's the only story you have written lol

You know like when someone says your name someone will answer "Oh the girl who wrote...."

So, my question is, does it bother you when the particular story you are known for is what people think of when they see your name? Or would you rather it be something else?

To answer you can do something like this

I am most well known for writing - Why I'd Do It All Again
but i'd prefer being known for writing - Summer at Elkwood Pines

Unless you do agree with people. Either way, explain your answer lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2012, 02:21:16 PM »

So, my question is, does it bother you when the particular story you are known for is what people think of when they see your name? Or would you rather it be something else?

Not really. I feel like I'm most known for -
Remember Me This Way
Song For The Undead

Which, I'm okay with. I'm very proud of those stories and I feel like they showcase my best writing. I don't want to be completely labeled as a "horror" writer  or something. I like the idea of being an author who can write a little of everything But at the same time if either of those stories are the ones people think of when they think of me, I'm happy about it.

And LMFAO at the one you'd prefer Mare. You would want the groundhog story.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #200 on: August 15, 2012, 02:26:50 PM »

Oh, can I just add one thing?

I don't think what makes a story popular has anything to do with the author. I mean we can use that baseball story as a great example, because I can tell you the name of the story but I have no clue who wrote it. Same can be said for the Oroes for Breakfast story. I have no clue who wrote that lol

I am not sure why people think fanfic reading is a popularity contest and other people read and say nice things about people's stories just to kiss ass. This is fan fiction, what good comes out of kissing anyone's ass here? lmao I never understood that. I see it all the time though. Drives me bonkers!

I mean if you are willing to pay me to say your story is good, i'm there! I need the money but if you aren't then how is my telling everyone I think you are a great writer going to benefit me exactly?

Here's another question in relation to that:

Will someone please pay me to say you are a good writer? lol I am broke!

Thanks! :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #201 on: August 15, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »

And LMFAO at the one you'd prefer Mare. You would want the groundhog story.

I just used that as an example! But yes, I love my groundhog summary/story lmao

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #202 on: August 15, 2012, 02:35:21 PM »

I think I'm most well known for writing Save A Prayer and Rewind, which is fine by me as I'm quite proud of those stories!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #203 on: August 15, 2012, 02:37:36 PM »

I'm known for going years between updates. Maybe more on the infamy side...
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #204 on: August 15, 2012, 02:38:28 PM »

I just used that as an example! But yes, I love my groundhog summary/story lmao

I know but it's fun to pick on you ;D.

And yes, one of my biggest pet peeves is when I see or hear about people claiming others say nice things about stories just to kiss ass. It never makes sense. Of course, I'm sure they don't think that when people say nice things about their writing...lol
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #205 on: August 15, 2012, 02:40:55 PM »

You are known for Hawk & a Handsaw lol :p

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #206 on: August 15, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »

You are known for Hawk & a Handsaw lol :p

Well see, there's an example of "I wish I wasn't."

That story became the bane of my existence. I took me four years to finish it and I grew more and more resentful of it each year.

The end didn't turn out how I wanted, I feel like it totally jumped the shark, you even told me you could tell I wasn't in touch with the plot anymore. By the end I just hated it.

I was even so mad I angrily deleted the whole thing and had to repost it a couple of years ago once I realized what a dumb move that was to work so hard on it only to delete it.

For that story to be the one I'm known for frustrates me because it's not one I'm particularly proud of. Proud of finishing? Yes. Proud of the quality? Not so much. :/
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #207 on: August 15, 2012, 02:55:15 PM »

I would never kiss ass and say I love a story that I don't.  What's the point in that?  I love the stories I love because they are great stories :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #208 on: August 15, 2012, 02:56:42 PM »

Stockholm Syndrome is one I think of when I think of you :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #209 on: August 15, 2012, 02:58:11 PM »

Well see, there's an example of "I wish I wasn't."

That story became the bane of my existence. I took me four years to finish it and I grew more and more resentful of it each year.

The end didn't turn out how I wanted, I feel like it totally jumped the shark, you even told me you could tell I wasn't in touch with the plot anymore. By the end I just hated it.

I was even so mad I angrily deleted the whole thing and had to repost it a couple of years ago once I realized what a dumb move that was to work so hard on it only to delete it.

For that story to be the one I'm known for frustrates me because it's not one I'm particularly proud of. Proud of finishing? Yes. Proud of the quality? Not so much. :/

So which one would you choose?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 35