Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78806 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #225 on: August 15, 2012, 04:14:41 PM »

I see people talking about AC stories in my twitter timeline, there are people who ask for story suggestions and I refer them to some.

Rose I saw a nice comment from someone that said your AJ one shot made them tear up. I see stuff about It Stays With You also. There definitely is a word of mouth for fanfics, twitter is living proof.

Aww. I should prolly put my twitter on my profile here LOL. And yeah, "MINE" is infamous now LOL.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #226 on: August 15, 2012, 04:21:15 PM »

Genre may help a little, but I feel like not as much as people think. There's plenty of romances that have little to no reviews because of how it's written. On that same end, I have a horror/au that has about 600 reviews. Its my highest reviewed story. Julie and I expected Undead to be unpopular because of the genre, and it's not. I'd like to think it's because it's well written and thanks to word of mouth :).

That is why I said there was a multiple reasons. Undead is written by authors that people know write well and it has had word of mouth.  I really don't think it has to have all three things to be popular, it's a combination.  You can definitely have romances that aren't read because they aren't written well and no one suggests them. 
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #227 on: August 15, 2012, 04:29:27 PM »

I always see people discussing fanfics on Twitter or other message borads like TDS.

As far as genre, I think that does play a part in things but there are always exceptions to the rule. I remember everyone always talking about Signal to Noise which I believe was a classic suspense story and then of course there was Legend? Is that what it was called? Which was a really popular sci fi story. Between the Lines was an AU that I guess a lot of people have read and talked about. It's weird what people cling on to sometimes. But there are those stories that happen in every genre.

As far as my answer to my question

I believe I am most well known for Why I'd do it all Again and It Stays with You and I guess that's fine with me. I'm proud of both stories and they are completely different from one another. LOL I mean night and day different.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #228 on: August 15, 2012, 05:26:31 PM »

Mare, I knew Mel's Tree from you before anything else even though I've not read it.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #229 on: August 15, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »

Aww, thats nice to know. :) I would like to be known for that but for the OF not the fanfic version. I guess sometimes I tend to forget it was a fanfic lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #230 on: August 15, 2012, 05:41:59 PM »

That is why I said there was a multiple reasons. Undead is written by authors that people know write well and it has had word of mouth.  I really don't think it has to have all three things to be popular, it's a combination.  You can definitely have romances that aren't read because they aren't written well and no one suggests them. 

I know, but your post made it sound like genre is the main one, which I disagreed with.

If the well known author thing was fool proof though, 00Carter would have more feedback lol. I wasn't that well known before Undead, actually. Obviously Julie was, but the readership from Broken didn't carry over really.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

kevmylove

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #231 on: August 15, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »

If you could pick five fanfics to put in a time capsule that would best represent the BSB fanfic fandom what would you choose and why? 

Life According to Baylee by Alota_Cookin

Chronos Project by PurpuraLipstic

On Nightingale Hill by Filiklepto 

Searching For Mercy by Honey

The Thirteenth Step by Mare

Why do you feel certain stories are talked about a lot/are popular?

I think word of mouth is definitely the main reason some stories are more popular.
Os4Also Nick is much more popular in the fandom. lol. 

I'm most know for Sinister Devotion,  Just One Kiss and Fight Me. I'm really happy with that. I'm proud of those stories and readers seem to really like them. It actually makes me giddy when I see someone recommending/mentioning them or when someone takes the time to nominate them. 

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #232 on: August 15, 2012, 08:25:00 PM »

Thanks Erika! :)

I am having a lot of trouble with the five stories question lol because I want to make sure I am picking the ones i'd like Aliens to walk away from thinking "Wow, these Backstreet Boy earthlings are pretty awesome! And so are the people who write about them!"

1. Ground Zero by Chaos because i'd like aliens to know that even boys who aren't really fans of the BSB can write an incredible story about them told in first person.

2. Where Can We Go From Here by Whitney - to let them know we can be a little cheesy and sappy but in the end these boys cared about each other enough to sing one of the guys right out of a coma!

3. Climbing Up That Hill by Sakabelle - because this one shows that even through the hard times, in the end the boys all manage to come through for each other and what better way to tell that story then through all of their points of view.

4. Seven Days by Refuse - Because it's the classic survival story featuring a bus crash. You gotta have a good old fashioned bus crash and or hijacking followed by a kidnapping and hunt of the boys. And a pet squirrel...or was that the sequel? lol Either way. I loved it!

5. Documentaries by Izzy - I feel like I need to always include this story in anything epically related to a must read list because it's my favorite! lol and again, tells an angsty tale about lonliness even when uber famous.

I'm sneaking The One With Nick by Mersey in there because it's my all time favorite short short story! I don't really consider Documentaries that short of a short story. And Mersey deserves to be in this group because she is a perfect example of an incredible writer who isn't comfortable writing in English but you'd never know it! Plus she's my doppleganger and I loves her! lol

There are quite a few more i'd love to include but these are the five erm....six I whittled it down to. lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #233 on: August 15, 2012, 09:07:31 PM »

Fanfics in a time capsule?

Definitely Where Can We Go From Here by Whitney, I just read it for the first time last night, and I think it is simply amazing. Really shows the bond between the guys and how they pull together through tragedy.

Running Up That Hill by Sakabelle. Pretty
much for the same reason Mare said. It's a good representation of a tough time in the boys lives.

Song For The Undead by Rose and Julie because its just so good it doesn't really need a reason. Story explains itself, a really great survival story.

A Million Little Things by Mare - this story taking place during Never Gone, another time period in their lives that was explored really well, how the guys have changed and has a lot of real events in it.

I can't think of a 5th story so I will come back with one later.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #234 on: August 15, 2012, 09:09:47 PM »

aw thanks for the mention Erika! :)
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #235 on: August 15, 2012, 09:11:55 PM »

Thanks, Tracy :)

myconfession

« Reply #236 on: August 15, 2012, 10:37:51 PM »

Thanks for mentioning me earlier Tracy :)

I think I might be more well known for the site than an individual stories. When I went to Miami for the acoustic concert before the first cruise, I had some spanish girl walk up to me hugging me. I had no idea what she was saying except for "My confession." I guess she recognized me from my picture on Twitter. If I had to pick a story... it would probably be "I Wanna Be Bad," and I wish I could change that. I wish I would be more well known for something like "The Story of Us" or the "Fearless" series. I think within the NKOTB fandom, I'm more well known for the "Fearless" series because it's the first real story I've written with NKOTB in it.

I think I missed a question, but I'm tired. Today was my first day at my new job and I was already breaking news seven hours into it lol

Got a feeling this new job might break into my writing time :-/

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »

It's weird when people recognize you for things. At the NKOTBSB show last summer, I had a few people who came here to Vegas from California come up to me as I was waiting (forever) for VIP. They recognized me from those youtube videos of me singing 10,000 promises with the Boys on the 2010 cruise. I had NO idea who they were LOL, but apparently they knew me!

I used to never have any pictures of me on the internet. I gave up after that because I already knew I was screwed.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #238 on: August 15, 2012, 10:43:04 PM »

Fanfics in a time capsule?

Definitely Where Can We Go From Here by Whitney, I just read it for the first time last night, and I think it is simply amazing. Really shows the bond between the guys and how they pull together through tragedy.

Running Up That Hill by Sakabelle. Pretty
much for the same reason Mare said. It's a good representation of a tough time in the boys lives.

Song For The Undead by Rose and Julie because its just so good it doesn't really need a reason. Story explains itself, a really great survival story.

A Million Little Things by Mare - this story taking place during Never Gone, another time period in their lives that was explored really well, how the guys have changed and has a lot of real events in it.

I can't think of a 5th story so I will come back with one later.

Thank you Tracy, I needed the smile this post brought on. :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #239 on: August 15, 2012, 10:52:00 PM »

Why do you feel certain stories are talked about a lot/are popular?

From skimming over the responses, I think everyone's done a great job at mentioning the things that make a story popular - quality of writing, popular Boy/genre, word of mouth, etc.  I think characterizati on is a big one, too.  The way the Boys and their relationships with each other, as well as any original characters, are written is often the "IT" factor that makes some stories stand out more to me than others.

Between the Lines (the baseball AU) is one that was brought up here.  That story WAS popular back in the day and still gets mentioned often on here.  I've said that it took me a few tries to get into it, mostly because of the baseball AU thing, but once I did, I fell in love with it.  It wasn't because of the baseball.  It wasn't even that it was technically well-written (which it was!).  It was the characters.  Between the Lines has AMAZING characters.  Each of the Boys are recognizable as themselves, even though they're the AU baseball player versions, and the way they fit into those roles is so interesting.  But the relationships they form as part of a team is what makes that story so awesome to me.  It also has some great original characters, too - Kevin's wife and little girl, AJ's wife, and Nick's girlfriend all stand out as unique, interesting characters that I didn't mind reading about along with the guys.

When I think of my all-time favorite fanfics, what separates them from the rest, even others that I consider favorites, are the characters.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 35