Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35

Author Topic: Question of the day part 6  (Read 78781 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day part 6
« Reply #285 on: August 18, 2012, 11:10:44 AM »

Ok so in response to the question mare asked, I had forgotten about a zombie story that was being written while Rose and Julie were writing Song For The Undead. I will confess my friend writes that story but it's nowhere nearly as accurate as SFTU. There is so much stuff she has wrong, like how are you gonna be using cell phones and stuff if everything is shut down. I have pretty much given up on reading it. I don't want to just read because she is my friend, but the story just isn't believable.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #286 on: August 18, 2012, 11:59:14 AM »

I don't know if I can answer that question, because that's never happened to me lol. The stories I've written have pretty much all been Nick romance, so I don't think I've really done anything that's too "out there."

Same here, at least to my knowledge. Unless i'm forgetting something, which I probably am. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #287 on: August 18, 2012, 02:24:19 PM »

Nothing like that has happened to me either, unless I just haven't noticed, lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #288 on: August 18, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »

You know, I don't think i've ever seen a story where the boys join a circus lol

Random...

But here's another question, if you could get rid of one completely overused plot in the genre you feel most comfortable writing in, which one would it be? I say the genre you write in to avoid the easiest boy meets girl answer most of us would have lol

Or you could name a plot for each genre if you write in multiple ones, like:
'
Drama:
Comedy:
Suspense:

etc...

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #289 on: August 18, 2012, 07:44:38 PM »

Have you ever read a story where you see more than one author playing out the same exact plot or idea and think wow they are completely different takes on the same thing? Or do you tend to think wow one is totally copying off of the other? Or think it's too similar even if it's not copying? If so, have you ever given up on one story and continued reading the other?

Usually when I see two different stories tackling the same general idea or subject matter, they end up being really different.  I don't see what I would consider blatant copying very often, but the times that I have, it's usually a case of a less experienced writer copying a more experienced one, and in comparing the two stories, the original is usually better.  Writers who aren't creative enough to at least put their own spin on someone else's idea usually aren't talented enough to write their copy well either.

Have you ever stayed away from a topic just because you see someone else tackle it? Or on the other end of the spectrum do you try to use other people's ideas and just make them your own?

I did have an idea for a suspense story that I'd been considering writing for awhile, until someone on AC (not any of you) started writing a story with a similar premise, so I put my idea on the backburner.  The other writer never finished hers, and it ended up being a lot different from how mine would have gone, anyway, so it's an idea I'd still consider writing someday.

I also remember being a little concerned when Hannah started posting Something Beautiful because I had just started writing Curtain Call but hadn't posted any of it yet, so when I started reading SB and got the "cancer story" vibe, I was like, "Really, are you kidding me??"  But SB and CC are a prime example of two stories that fall under the same basic premise (Backstreet Boy has cancer), but go in two totally different directions.

I never set out to blatantly steal someone else's idea, but I definitely get inspired by other people's ideas (not just in fanfic, but in books, shows, and movies too).  There are a couple of old stories I've written that come too close to comfort to the original idea (and are not executed nearly as well), but for the most part, even if I am inspired by someone else's work, I take mine in a different direction by putting my own spin on it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #290 on: August 18, 2012, 07:50:48 PM »

But here's another question, if you could get rid of one completely overused plot in the genre you feel most comfortable writing in, which one would it be? I say the genre you write in to avoid the easiest boy meets girl answer most of us would have lol

Or you could name a plot for each genre if you write in multiple ones, like:
'
Drama:
Comedy:
Suspense:

etc...

Honestly, I can't think of an overused plot I would like to get rid of in the genres I enjoy.  In drama, the disease stories and accident stories and so forth are all things that I like reading about LOL.  Same with suspense and the stalker/kidnapper/crazy fan stories.  As long as the story is written well, I don't care if it has the same basic premise as five other stories I've read.  If you go through my favorites, you will see multiple stories that fall under the same category of plot.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #291 on: August 18, 2012, 08:52:11 PM »

Yeah i'm not sure if there's anything I wouldn't want to read of my favorite genres. I guess that's a stupid question so we'll go with any genre I guess but you can't say boy meets girl! lmao

I can say the type of stories that don't appeal to me are the ones that aren't about the boys at all. They can go away. Like stories about the kids of the guys or the wives of the guys or siblings or cousins twice removed... If it's not about the boys, they can leave and never come back.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #292 on: August 18, 2012, 09:22:59 PM »

I'm not a fan of the stories about random family members, especially fictional ones, either.  But to each their own, I guess!  As long as there are still stories being written that I want to read, I'm good.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #293 on: August 18, 2012, 09:28:24 PM »

So does this ever happen to anyone else?  You plan out a story, you write the story, you get through the beginning and the middle while envisioning the epic ending in your head, and when you finally get to the climax of the story, which you've been waiting four years to write, the words just don't pour out the way you thought they would?

This is what I'm dealing with right now, and argh, it's so frustrating!!!  I want to finish this story this weekend before I go back to school, and I'm on the second to last chapter, and it should be exciting and dramatic and bloody and everything I love, but it's just not flowing for me.  I'm debating whether to just keep forcing it out so I can finish the thing or quit and wait for a time when I have less on my mind.

~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #294 on: August 18, 2012, 09:34:32 PM »

^ that is the worst and most annoying thing ever! I hate when that happens! No matter how many times you have pictured it in your head, it just doesn't translate the way you want it to when you try to write it down lol

When that happens to me I usually force it out but then leave it for a few days and then when I look at it again a few days later I end up changing it around to how I wanted it to be or sometimes what I actually wrote is what I end up going with because i'm pleased with the turn out!

It's always those pivitol scenes! LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #295 on: August 18, 2012, 09:43:22 PM »

That is probably what I'll end up doing too.  I'm like five chapters ahead of what I've posted, so I have plenty of time to play around with it more without feeling like I'm keeping anyone waiting.

It's just so frustrating because I know what it's like to feel that emotional rush you get when these scenes practically write themselves, so it sucks when that doesn't happen!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #296 on: August 18, 2012, 10:24:33 PM »

I'm having a little better luck with it now.  I only had a page written last time I posted in here, and now I have over two pages, so yay?  I honestly think ranting about it helps! LOL
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #297 on: August 18, 2012, 10:44:17 PM »

Yay!! Sometimes that's all it takes lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #298 on: August 19, 2012, 12:14:23 AM »

On my way home from the concert and saw this. Yes I am having that problem with Weird World. Like I need to figure out how the boys get unbrainwashed. ..and some other stuff. I've gotten to the point where I was stuck before and...it just isn't coming out. I'm so frustrated lol

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #299 on: August 19, 2012, 10:43:00 PM »

How do you guys feel about authors try to "punish" their readers if they don't review?

I think it's incredibly shameless, egotistical, and douchey. It's not often I see it anymore, but now and again I see it. Sometimes a writer will tweet a reader who hadn't reviewed a new chapter yet and pester them. Or, they'll threaten not to update at all. I've seen writers threaten not to update at their normal time too because they have people who read and don't review.

We all love reviews, or we wouldn't post. But man, when reviews are that important that you refuse to post at all, are you really writing for yourself then? There's always going to be readers who don't review. It's like get over it or stop posting completely.

It's such a pet peeve lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 35