Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 8  (Read 48263 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: Question of the day part 8
« Reply #210 on: March 06, 2013, 10:51:21 PM »

1.  What do you consider to be the biggest challenges in writing your favorite genre?

Probably the descriptions. Action/horror aren't the easiest things to write sometimes in terms of making sure you're making it clear what's happening and keeping like the feel of the story intense and gripping. That sort of thing. You want it to be real, rather than cheesy.

2.  Are there any genres you enjoy reading, but have a hard time writing?  What are they, and why?

I love suspense/mystery type fics. But they are definitely not an easy thing to write.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #211 on: March 06, 2013, 10:55:23 PM »

Rose, I'm sorry if you thought I was be defensive. I was merely stating my opinion. It was not my intention to start a debate. I was just adding my thoughts to a conversation. I will try harder to not to sound defensive when making a comment in the future as I don't want to offend anyone with my thoughts, opinions, or comments.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #212 on: March 06, 2013, 11:17:00 PM »

The reason why you sound defensive is you keep stating that not all romances are the same, not to criticize, and not to lump them together. It comes off defensive because no one's said they're all the same. But of course there's generalization s with every genre of fiction. It is what it is. And I think it should be able to go unsaid that every genre has exceptions/gems.

It's like how people assume I hate all romance which ironically is not the case lol. I just have really high standards for it. I'm all for discussion myself.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #213 on: March 06, 2013, 11:28:08 PM »

Rose, I never said you hate romance or any other genre.  I didn't say all romances either. I did mention there are overused story lines in romance and all genres.

What I take offensive to is that you seem to have a problem with any opinion I give. It's been since they very first time I posted an opinion in 2010. No matter what I say you have some  negative to say about it. You don't have to like my opinions. I never asked anyone to agree with me. Everyone on here has the right to an opinion, including you and me. Do we have to agree...no. I just feel like you have an issue with me. I don't know what I personally have done to you, but if I did something please let me know.

All I want to do is share my thoughts and opinions like everyone else.

I apologize if I ever have offended anyone on here with my thoughts.  If my comments offend, please let me know so I don't hurt anyone with my words. I enjoy coming here, but may not stay as I may offend people for having my own thoughts.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #214 on: March 06, 2013, 11:29:41 PM »

Nobody here is knocking down romance. Everyone likes different things, and everyone has different standards. I am really picky when it comes to reading some genres.

In response to Julie's question...

I love reading sci fi and suspense, but sometimes it is hard for me to write it because it is hard for me to come ip with an idea that'sfresh and interesting. I have written in many different genres so sometimes it is harder to come up with a idea that I can commit to.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #215 on: March 06, 2013, 11:42:24 PM »

Rose, I never said you hate romance or any other genre.  I didn't say all romances either. I did mention there are overused story lines in romance and all genres.

What I take offensive to is that you seem to have a problem with any opinion I give. It's been since they very first time I posted an opinion in 2010. No matter what I say you have some  negative to say about it. You don't have to like my opinions. I never asked anyone to agree with me. Everyone on here has the right to an opinion, including you and me. Do we have to agree...no. I just feel like you have an issue with me. I don't know what I personally have done to you, but if I did something please let me know.

All I want to do is share my thoughts and opinions like everyone else.

I apologize if I ever have offended anyone on here with my thoughts.  If my comments offend, please let me know so I don't hurt anyone with my words. I enjoy coming here, but may not stay as I may offend people for having my own thoughts.

LOL I never said you did. I was speaking generally.

"So what you don't like a certain genre, there is no need to lump every story as horrendous or redundant."<-- that's where you basically said it. That's why I clarified that not one of us said that. That all of us said there were exceptions.

I have no problems with your opinions. I like debates! Hell I don't take any of them to heart. I was curious as to why you were defensive because I was confused by it. No one's offended. No one said they were offended. I don't know how we got there.

I honestly...hav e no idea what incident you're talking about in 2010? Like seriously. Not a clue. In fact, I'm pretty confused by why you think I have an issue with you whatsoever. I thought we were talking fanfic lol. I didn't think any of this was personal at all.

colorguard_diva

• Major Disruption
« Reply #216 on: March 07, 2013, 12:15:34 AM »

"So what you don't like a certain genre, there is no need to lump every story as horrendous or redundant."<-- that's where you basically said it. That's why I clarified that not one of us said that. That all of us said there were exceptions.

When I said that it wasn't meant that anyone said it. It was just meant that we should always be open minded to each story regardless of the genre.

Rose, I have nothing against you either. I think we are both passionate debaters.

Lets start fresh cause 2010 was a long time ago. Hey, Rose. I'm Rachel. I love writing and debating. It's nice to meet someone who likes the same. Lol. I'm goofy and try to be positive.

Now I need to get to bed. I need my energy to teach my second graders. Peace out!

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #217 on: March 07, 2013, 04:49:25 AM »

I think Rose's point about soap operas was less about success and more about quality.  All of those titles Julilly named could definitely qualify as soap operas, and all are popular, no denying that.  But are any of them critically-acclaimed or highly-respected?  Not exactly.  They are so-called "guilty pleasures."  Nothing wrong with that.  Fan fiction in itself is a guilty pleasure.

Fan fiction writers are rarely taken seriously outside of their own fandom, regardless of what genre they write in or the quality of their work, but I think all of us strive to write quality fiction in whatever genre we're writing it, or we wouldn't spend so much time discussing it here.  Each genre has its own set of challenges, but there are well-written stories in every genre of fan fiction, including romance.

What Rose said is that writing a soap opera-type story is falling into a "danger zone" which implies that it's not good lol I don't read those types of stories and definitely don't watch those types of shows (I hate them, in fact) but I can't agree with the statement that soap operas aren't critically acclaimed. Success financially comes along with that. These are books that are best sellers, movies that have won awards, television shows that have won awards and they're beloved (openly) by millions. It's only a guilty pleasure for those who believe themselves to be above enjoying them.

I have seen plenty of people openly gush about shows like Greys Anatomy and The OC - both have positive response from critics and viewers (who ultimately are the only critics that matter) are considered soap operas the same as General Hospital is. There's no soap opera "danger zone" - its a popular format that many people have no shame or guilt in appreciating for its simplicity and entertainment value.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:53:01 AM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #218 on: March 07, 2013, 09:10:51 AM »

As if he were able to read my mind, one of my former bosses posted a blog today that expresses exactly how I feel about the so-called "guilty pleasures" we've been discussing in here. He's a published author who writes about marketing and branding and has a blog called Brand Like A Rockstar that has been sourced in multiple publications, so he's not just a random dude spewing information lol

The teaser... "The secret to business success: Suck as much as Nickelback"

How much do you suck? Four steps to rock star status by Steve Jones

Nickelback sucks, right?

They must. Everybody says so.

They are the most maligned and criticized band on the planet.

Here’s just how much they suck:

* Billboard ranks them as the top group of the 2000s.

* They have sold 50 million albums worldwide.

* “How You Remind Me” was ranked as the #1 rock song of the decade.

* These four Canadian boys are the second best-selling foreign act in the USA (behind the Beatles) of the 2000s.

Sure people hate Nickelback, and for good reason. Plenty of people hate their formulaic sound. Others beat up on them for the misogynistic lyrics. There’s a faction that hates them from moving from alternative rock into the mainstream.

And does Nickelback care about people who hate them?

They have 50 million reasons not to care.

When you are successful for something, you are bound to have detractors who hate you.

Chances are very good that the people who hate you a) were never your fans to begin with, and b) would never be a fan of yours no matter what.

If you listen to the haters, you’ll compromise what you do in order to please people who never have – and never will – like you.

How will that make your true fans feel?

Four steps to business success (thanks to Nickelback):

1. Find a group of people that love you.

2. Make them very, very happy.

3. Tune out the haters.

4. And rock on!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #219 on: March 07, 2013, 09:34:41 AM »

Here are a couple of follow-up questions to what I just posted:

1.  What do you consider to be the biggest challenges in writing your favorite genre?

2.  Are there any genres you enjoy reading, but have a hard time writing?  What are they, and why?

1.  plot holes.  with sci-fi/fantasy and suspense plot holes can really kill a story.  I really try to avoid them and sometimes walk right into a plot sinkhole and dig myself out by making the character do something uncharacterist ic (which is something I'm working on in ALL genres I write)

2.  Lately I've been reading a lot of romance/drama/dramedy and those are some genres I've dabbled in but are not as proficient in writing as some other authors.   I read them and am amazed at how easy these authors make it seem especially since I have a difficult time with thhose genres.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #220 on: March 07, 2013, 11:16:32 AM »

That was an interesting post about the Nickelback thing.

1.  What do you consider to be the biggest challenges in writing your favorite genre?

Trying to get details right and make it seem realistic, also plot holes.

2.  Are there any genres you enjoy reading, but have a hard time writing?  What are they, and why?

I love drama, but can't seem to write it as well as I'd like.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #221 on: March 07, 2013, 02:26:58 PM »

I think using the term danger zone is just really subjective depending on the author. I hear it and I don't think popularity or success, I think redundancy, over the top plots etc... I would think that would be the danger zone for writers. Getting into the habit of being able to just churn out chapter after chapter of mundane writing just because you know at the end of the day you still have a core group of readers (or in the case of soap operas) viewers who will still tune in and love it, no matter how dumb it may be. I think it's safe to say we've all been there. I know I have.

I've written something so silly sounding and dumb but I knew that it probably wouldn't matter because my readers just wanted an update and would be happy with whatever they got. Granted, in the end I usually deleted it or apologized for the major suckatude but the temptation was always there. The "I can write an entire story about Nick going shoe shopping and meeting a girl, randomly" and it would probably have more hits than one that's more thought out has also occurred to me more than once.

Anyway, that's what I think of when I hear the words 'danger zone'

I guess that would be a good question actually lol

What is your danger zone when it comes to writing?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #222 on: March 07, 2013, 02:30:47 PM »

Consistency in the plots and pacing of the story so it holds the reader's interest.  Also including enough plot twists so as to keep people guessing.

I tend to enjoy the genres which I also write in. I do wish I was a better sci-fi writer though.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #223 on: March 07, 2013, 05:28:51 PM »

I think using the term danger zone is just really subjective depending on the author. I hear it and I don't think popularity or success, I think redundancy, over the top plots etc... I would think that would be the danger zone for writers. Getting into the habit of being able to just churn out chapter after chapter of mundane writing just because you know at the end of the day you still have a core group of readers (or in the case of soap operas) viewers who will still tune in and love it, no matter how dumb it may be. I think it's safe to say we've all been there. I know I have.

I've written something so silly sounding and dumb but I knew that it probably wouldn't matter because my readers just wanted an update and would be happy with whatever they got. Granted, in the end I usually deleted it or apologized for the major suckatude but the temptation was always there. The "I can write an entire story about Nick going shoe shopping and meeting a girl, randomly" and it would probably have more hits than one that's more thought out has also occurred to me more than once.

Anyway, that's what I think of when I hear the words 'danger zone'

I guess that would be a good question actually lol

What is your danger zone when it comes to writing?

I can totally see it from that perspective as well. That the "danger zone", rather than being specific to one genre, would encompass those authors that fall into the habit of choosing quantity over quality - posting filler chapter after filler chapter in an effort to keep the reader rather than move the plot.
~Maple Jellybean~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #224 on: March 08, 2013, 04:24:05 PM »

*sings* HIGHWAY TO THE DANGER ZONE...

heehee sorry all this talk of "danger zone" has that song in my head.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19