Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: What's everyone reading?  (Read 18769 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What's everyone reading?
« Reply #195 on: July 05, 2024, 01:05:10 PM »

I just finished The Housemaid by Freida McFadden - great psychological thriller with some fun twists!  I read it in two days - probably could have read it in one if I'd wanted to.  That was just the kind of book I needed.  I started on the sequel last night.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #196 on: July 06, 2024, 09:21:20 AM »

That was good? I've heard mixed reviews, so I wasn't sure. I've never read anything by her. Maybe I'll give that one a try.

I am almost done with You Like It Darker. I never read Cujo but the last one I read, one of the longer stories in there is about the father of the wife and kid who were the main characters in that book.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #197 on: July 06, 2024, 03:10:17 PM »

I liked it!  I wouldn't say it was high-brow literature, but it was a fun, easy read.  I'm halfway through the sequel and enjoying that one so far, too.  I hadn't read anything by her yet either, but a lot of my other friends enjoy her books.  And they're not smutty either, which surprised me, since a lot of those same friends enjoy smutty romance LOL.

Aww, Cujo.  That was the first Stephen King book I ever read as a kid.  It's good but very sad.  The way he goes into the dog's POV and makes you feel sorry for him, even though he's the "villain" of the story, is brilliant.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #198 on: July 07, 2024, 09:33:26 AM »

I'll give her a try. I enjoy trying authors I haven't read before.

There's no way I would ever read Cujo because dog. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #199 on: July 09, 2024, 09:40:55 AM »

The Housemaid just arrived today. I ordered it from Walmart because it was mega cheap there. I'm excited to dive into it at some point. There are quite a few books ahead of her in the queue.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #200 on: July 09, 2024, 03:02:03 PM »

The Kindle version was cheap, too!  I finished the sequel a couple nights ago and enjoyed that one, too.  Will probably wait to download the third one until I'm on vacation next week, so I have something to read there.  I figured I might as well finish the trilogy, and then I'll find something else to read.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #201 on: July 10, 2024, 03:10:00 AM »

I don't think I would enjoy those books or the show, even though everyone is saying the third season has been the best. It's still mainly boy meets girl, right? And I know the books are pretty much solely that too. Which is a shame because of the big family. I'm in the middle of You Like it Darker. The short story collection from SK. It's been good, nothing stands out as of yet.

I don't think Bridgerton would be your thing either.  It is basically boy meets girl lol.  But they are a nice easy read if you like that type of stuff.

I've bought Under The Dome by Stephen King to read next, it's a massive book so hope it's good.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2024, 09:57:00 AM »

I liked Under the Dome, but I thought it was a short story. Guess not. Unless there's a collection of shorts in that one.

I didn't realize The Housemaid is a sequel. This is the year of the sequels for me. I have started so many sequels this year without even realizing that they were. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #203 on: July 10, 2024, 01:55:22 PM »

No, The Housemaid is the first book, but it has two sequels.  The Housemaid's Secret is the second one, and the third one is called The Housemaid is Watching.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #204 on: July 11, 2024, 08:38:17 AM »

Sorry, I knew it was the first book, what I meant to say was part one of a sequel. But I guess it's a trilogy. Doesn't look like it's a long book, which is nice. This year I've read so many books 500 plus pages long. I didn't realize that until I went to answer my own questionnaire in my Book Nook group. Maybe it'll be one of my cruise books. I don't know how many to bring with me. I can see me going through at least two. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #205 on: July 11, 2024, 12:03:05 PM »

Yes, it's a trilogy. I'm not sure exactly how many pages it is because I read it on Kindle, but it felt short. You could easily read it in a day or two on the cruise, depending on how much time you spend reading, but it would make a good vacation read.
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #206 on: July 12, 2024, 04:26:11 AM »

I just checked and Under The Dome is 877 pages

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #207 on: July 12, 2024, 09:09:56 AM »

I just checked and Under The Dome is 877 pages

Holy Cow! Well okay then. I remember liking it, but I don't remember it being that long. So take from that what you will. LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #208 on: July 12, 2024, 09:12:10 AM »

Yes, it's a trilogy. I'm not sure exactly how many pages it is because I read it on Kindle, but it felt short. You could easily read it in a day or two on the cruise, depending on how much time you spend reading, but it would make a good vacation read.

I think I am going to bring that one with me. I plan on reading quite a lot. One of my favorite things to do is read by the water and I haven't been able to do that since I've stopped driving. Since I don't think I'll be doing a whole lot of sightseeing, reading outside on the balcony or deck is going to be my go-to choice.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #209 on: July 16, 2024, 04:52:34 AM »

Reading on the deck will be lovely, I did that too.  I had an inside cabin, so having a balcony will be so nice :)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15