Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35

Author Topic: New music!  (Read 51775 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: New music!
« Reply #240 on: July 30, 2013, 08:09:25 AM »

Maybe it'll grow on you. Give it time. lol

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I was really disappointed with Never Gone when it came out but I listened a few more times and songs grew on me. Strangely, I find listening in the car to an album better for the first time than through headphones so I'm going to listen again on my way to and from the gym :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #241 on: July 30, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »

Yeah that's what I'm thinking. I was really disappointed with Never Gone when it came out but I listened a few more times and songs grew on me. Strangely, I find listening in the car to an album better for the first time than through headphones so I'm going to listen again on my way to and from the gym :)

Excellent! :)

I also find sometimes it's a matter of which Backstreet Boys do you like best?

The straight up pop, the more R&B, The trying to be "in" or the simple acoustic versions of the guys. I enjoy the latter which is probably why I loved this album and "Never Gone" so much. I tend to also enjoy their straight up simple pop songs like the stuff on "Millennium" and some of "Black and Blue," but I hate when they try too hard with studio tricks and looping and care more about production than the songs themselves which is why I hated "This is Us" and some of the songs off of "Black and Blue."

Just a matter of taste I guess.

If it makes you feel better, I really hated the beginning of Breathe at first but then it grew on me. I also remember HATING Siberia but now it's one of my favorites. It took a while for that to happen though. LOL

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #242 on: July 30, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »

Unbreakable is just so high up on a pedestal that nothing can top it, it seems. I had skip songs on that album, too though. I dont think theres a single BSB album that I dont have at least one. I did like most of This Is Us, too - Bigger is one of my favourite BSB songs.

I didn't like Trouble ls at first but now if it comes on I have no urge to skip it :) I have the same hopes for tracks 3-7. Except maybe 7. I really did not like Try lol
« Last Edit: July 30, 2013, 08:39:54 AM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #243 on: July 30, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »

Yeah, I'm not liking Take Care either. Once again I'm glad it was only a bonus track. It's all over the place. There are parts I like but overall it's kind of just really confusing. LOL

I couldn't remember which bonus track you said this about when I was listening, but when I got to Take Care, I was like, "Okay, this is the song Mare was talking about!"  I can see what you mean, but overall I really like it.  I wasn't sure at first, but it grew on me as the song went on.  It's just kind of weird sounding! LOL
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #244 on: July 30, 2013, 10:19:26 AM »

I've not heard Take Care yet as it's not on my version.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #245 on: July 30, 2013, 10:25:19 AM »

I couldn't remember which bonus track you said this about when I was listening, but when I got to Take Care, I was like, "Okay, this is the song Mare was talking about!"  I can see what you mean, but overall I really like it.  I wasn't sure at first, but it grew on me as the song went on.  It's just kind of weird sounding! LOL

I have a feeling this one will eventually grow on my too. I like some of the elements of it but it seems just kind of thrown together. The Frankenstein of songs or perhaps the Scrapple if you are from Eastern Pennsylvania! LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #246 on: July 30, 2013, 10:26:22 AM »

Unbreakable is just so high up on a pedestal that nothing can top it, it seems. I had skip songs on that album, too though. I dont think theres a single BSB album that I dont have at least one. I did like most of This Is Us, too - Bigger is one of my favourite BSB songs.

I didn't like Trouble ls at first but now if it comes on I have no urge to skip it :) I have the same hopes for tracks 3-7. Except maybe 7. I really did not like Try lol

See, I don't even remember Unbreakable was released half the time! But I did just recently re listen to that one and it's not bad, just kind of forgettable I guess since I always forget about it. LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #247 on: July 30, 2013, 10:27:33 AM »

I've not heard Take Care yet as it's not on my version.

Would you like me to email it to you? If you pm me your email address I will gladly do that! or for anyone else who is looking for that.

I am missing IN Your Arms, I think. The bonus one from Target?

usako

« Reply #248 on: July 30, 2013, 10:29:11 AM »

I love the lyrics of "Take Care", especially the line "You don't need someone to take care of you". It's so me!!!

usako

« Reply #249 on: July 30, 2013, 10:32:15 AM »

Funny thing about "Love Somebody" and its epic line "you're the reason why cavemen drew on the walls."
Here in North Italy, not too far from my little town, there is this place, called Val Camonica, really famous because there are caves with prehistoric drawings on their walls. So now, me and my friend have called "Love Somebody" the "Val Camonica's song"

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #250 on: July 30, 2013, 10:35:43 AM »

Well there you go! Maybe he has been there or something! LOL

I actually love that line in the song harmony wise and the next line that really makes no sense. After every summer we fall? LMAO Love it though!

Ooh let's make our fav songs in order list! YAY!!

Like oh my god I am being such a teeny bopper right now! LMAO Squee!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #251 on: July 30, 2013, 10:38:03 AM »

Okay, here's my official review now that I've heard the whole thing once and am on my second listen!  First of all, I LOVE this album!  The whole thing!  There's only one potential skip song, and even that one isn't bad like the skip songs I have on TIU, all of which are just horrible songs LOL.  Like I just tweeted, this album is LIGHT YEARS away from TIU and a bazillion times better!!!  It may be the best BSB album ever, but I won't decide that until the newness wears off so I can see how it holds up to the others.  I think it's definitely going to be up there with Never Gone, Millennium, and Backstreet's Back for me though!

I've already talked about IAWTS and PS enough on here, so here's my song by song review for the rest of the tracks that are new.

Breathe - I knew I would like this one just from what we heard at the fan event, and I was right!  It's smooth, beautiful, and just the right amount of catchy.

Madeleine - I caved and have been listening to this one ever since it was leaked, but it still stands out as being one of the best on the album.  Simple and absolutely beautiful!  I'm glad they went acoustic and didn't over-produce this one.

Show 'Em (What You're Made Of) - This is probably the track I was most excited to hear in full, and I was not disappointed!  It brought tears to my eyes.  One thing I love about this album that is so different from the rest of their albums is how personal it is!  Not every song on the album has that feel, but this one definitely does.  This is what I've been waiting years for!

Make Believe - This was the first one that really had that feel of trying hard to sound current, but that's okay because, unlike some of the songs on TIU, they didn't have to sacrifice anything, like good melodies/harmonies or meaningful lyrics, to accomplish that.  I like this song!

Try - This was the only song they previewed at the fan event that I didn't like, so I was prepared not to like it on the album either.  But after listening to the whole thing, while I don't LOVE it, I don't hate it or even dislike it, either.  It may end up being my only skip song, but it may not - too early to tell.  It's not a bad song at all; it's just not my style of music.  I think it would have been better as an AJ solo track, since he basically sings the whole thing anyway and sounds great doing so!

Trust Me - This song is cute and will be fun to sing along to once I learn all the lyrics.  Speaking of which, I was SO excited to see they put the lyrics to all the songs in the liner notes!!!  That is going to help me out so much because I have three days to memorize the whole album before the first show on Friday!  "Making sweet sexy babies" made me giggle!

Love Somebody - I knew that Nick must have had a hand in writing this song before I double checked.  It just has Nick written all over it, from the sound of it to the lyrics.  Is this the one someone (Mare?) said sounds like it could have started as a love letter to Lauren?  That was what I thought, that Nick wrote it with Lauren in mind.  The line about her wearing the jersey of his favorite team made me smile.  Cute song!

One Phone Call - Like with the last song, it did not surprise me one bit to see that Howie had helped write this song because its so cheesy, but I LOVE IT!!!  I think I saw someone say that this was their one old-school boyband track, and I agree.  I started giggling when it got to the chorus with "leave a message at the tone," but like I said, I LOVE IT!  It's cute and catchy, and hey, what would be a Backstreet Boys song without at least one cheesy analogy song?

Feels Like Home - This was the other leaked track that I caved on and have been dancing around my apartment to for like two weeks, but I still got up and danced around my living room when it came on - one of my favorites!  Such a fun song and, again, I love that it's personal.  Kevin's voice cracks me up!

Soldier - Like a lot of people, I think this is my favorite of the new tracks so far, although it's hard to choose because there are so many good ones!  I just love this one because it's so incredibly catchy and upbeat!

In Your Arms - This was a good choice as a bonus track.  I don't like it better than the tracks on the regular album, but I do like it!  I forgot how many of these songs we had already heard clips of until I listened to the album and was like, "Oh yeah, I've heard this!"  I stopped playing those clips months ago so I wouldn't wear them out, so I forgot what most of the songs sounded like!

Take Care - As I said in my last post, I can see what Mare was saying about this one being all over the place.  I was kind of "WTF?" over it at first, but once it got into the chorus, I started to get into it.  Overall, I really like it, I think because it's so different sounding.  Siberia was that way for me; I hated it for the first five seconds of the first listen, and by the chorus, it was my instant favorite song.

So my overall impression of this album is that it really shows how much they've grown, not only as musicians but as people too.  Ironically, I think it's way more "them" than This Is Us was. LOL  I think it strikes the perfect balance between the more "organic" Never Gone and the more modern-sounding Unbreakable and TIU.  And yet, it still has some great, catchy boyband pop songs that harken back to Black & Blue and Millennium.  It doesn't sound dated, and yet, it doesn't have that feel of trying too hard to sound current, either.  It's not over-produced, but I like that there is a nice blend of songs that are more simple and acoustic-sounding along with songs that have had more production put into them.  There's a little something for everyone on it!

This is the album I was hoping they would make, and I think it was the perfect one to release for their 20th anniversary!  Love!!! :)
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #252 on: July 30, 2013, 10:38:13 AM »

If someone could help me out, what other bonus tracks were released in other countries?  I have Hot Hot Hot, but am I missing any others?  If so, could someone send them my way, pretty please?  I'd be happy to share In Your Arms and Take Care if anyone needs them!
~Julie

usako

« Reply #253 on: July 30, 2013, 10:39:02 AM »

Well there you go! Maybe he has been there or something! LOL

I actually love that line in the song harmony wise and the next line that really makes no sense. After every summer we fall? LMAO Love it though!

Ooh let's make our fav songs in order list! YAY!!

Like oh my god I am being such a teeny bopper right now! LMAO Squee!

LOL I can't understand it either. Maybe he wanted to say "after every summer there is the fall" but didn't sound right? LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #254 on: July 30, 2013, 10:39:24 AM »

I love the lyrics of "Take Care", especially the line "You don't need someone to take care of you". It's so me!!!

I thought of you as I was listening to it, Cinzia!  Such a great hurt/comfort song!  I always smile at songs with lyrics that I can see myself using in a fanfic someday LOL.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 35