Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124135 times)

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #150 on: June 27, 2013, 07:50:22 PM »

Wouldn't it be great to hear each other's accents? I wonder if people sound how we think they would?

It's funny you say that because I made Darby send me a video of her talking once so I could hear her Texas accent LOL She was sure to say "Hi y'all!" just to make me happy. :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #151 on: June 27, 2013, 07:51:05 PM »

It'd be fun if everyone recorded themselves reading an excerpt from one of their stories, so we could hear how it sounds in their voice.  I hate the sound of my own voice when I hear it back, but I am nosy and love hearing how other people sound.

You sound like you're from the midwest, I enjoy it!
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #152 on: June 27, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »

This is for Saka and some others who have tried it or want to.

Have you ever written fanfic for another fandom? Did you find the change difficult? Have you ever taken one story from one fandom and changed it for another? If you haven't tried to write in another fandom yet, would you and which would it be?

The only other fandom I've been "successful" in writing fic for is 1D. When I was in high school my friends and I would write slash fics for Gundam Wing and other anime shows sometimes, but for those fics I was always more of a reader than a writer. What I always found difficult about that was having watched those shows in Japanese, it made it near impossible to write a fic in English and make it sound right. I did also do some writing for Avatar: The Last Airbender, but I did only two stories and kind of got bored with it. They were fun characters to play with, but again I was more into the reading aspect than the writing for that fandom.

The change from BSB to 1D wasn't difficult because it was something that happened naturally. I was bored with BSB, they weren't doing anything and I wanted to try writing something completely new. I started writing about 1D without knowing a lot about them so I probably imprinted BSB personalities onto them at first, but not really anymore. I just found that I really enjoyed playing with these completely new characters who were still in a familiar boyband setting. It's sort of weird too because I remember when a lot of NKOTB fic was popping up on here and I didn't really understand it, but now I kind of do.

I've never taken a story from one fandom and changed it for another. I probably could take some of my older BSB fics and change them to 1D with some tweaks, but as they were written as BSB fics, I'd still be picturing Nick as the lead in them. It'd still be Nick's personality so whoever I changed him to would be acting out of character. I figure the whole point of writing in a new fandom is to try something new, so I wouldn't be accomplishing that by taking an old fic and just changing it.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »

You sound like you're from the midwest, I enjoy it!

LOL Thanks!  You really don't sound overly Canadian LOL.

I had an English friend back in the day that I used to voice chat with, and it was fun to hear her accent!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2013, 08:39:48 PM »

Does anyone else hear voices for each other in your heads? You all have a different voice in my head that I hear when I read your replies lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2013, 09:00:49 PM »

That's interesting...  I guess I sort of do, but not in a way I could ever explain or imitate.  If anyone does record themselves, you'll have to let us know if they sound similar or different to the voice in your head LOL.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2013, 09:14:03 PM »

I always picture people too but all the fun was taken out of that since I know what most of you look like now. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2013, 09:37:51 PM »

LOL Do any of us look similar to what you pictured?  No one ever looks how I expect them to look.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2013, 10:02:16 PM »

Not in the least lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2013, 10:20:32 PM »

Have you ever written fanfic for another fandom? Did you find the change difficult? Have you ever taken one story from one fandom and changed it for another? If you haven't tried to write in another fandom yet, would you and which would it be?

I attempted to write a Harry Potter fanfic once, but I only got a few chapters into it before I stopped.  I enjoyed it, but I struggled with having to make up what I didn't know because JK Rowling hadn't revealed it yet.  It was a story about the Marauders - Harry's dad and his friends - and I wrote it before the 5th book was released, so there were 3 whole books of information I was missing out on.  I didn't want to invent all these details about those characters, only to find out after the last three books were released, that they were wrong.   I always said I'd go back and finish it after the rest of the books came out, but let's be honest; that's never going to happen LOL.  I don't even read Harry Potter fanfic.

Besides that failed attempt, the closest I've come to writing for another fandom is with crossovers.  I have written BSB stories that include NSync and other boybands and celebrities, some that I like and some that I don't.  I have two crossovers in the works right now, one that's BSB/Harry Potter and one that's BSB/ER.  I've enjoyed having the Boys interact with some of my favorite fictional characters and writing in those universes, but I don't think I would ever write in one of those fandoms (or any other fandom) without BSB.

I've never changed a story to fit another fandom.  Most of my stories are pretty BSB-specific, and even in the AUs, the guys are written to resemble the guys, so they wouldn't fit another fandom without being completely rewritten, and I would never do that.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2013, 10:28:58 PM »

Since there's also been a lot of discussion about AUs

Have you ever written an AU? Would you ever consider it? If you did, what kind of story would you create?

Do you tend to enjoy reading AUs?

If you don't, why do you skip them?

I have written several AUs.  Most of them are collaborations .  Code Blue is about the Boys working in the medical field.  00Carter has them playing secret agents and supervillains.  Song for the Undead has them fighting the zombie apocalypse.  And Secrets of the Heart has them just living normal, separate lives.  From a writing standpoint, I enjoy the freedom writing AU gives you - it makes it easier to fit the Boys into a storyline that wouldn't work for them as a music group.

AU is not my favorite genre to read, although I have read some really great AUs.  I prefer to read about the guys as a boyband, but if they're well-written and still seem like themselves, I can handle reading them in an alternate universe.  If not, I usually stop reading unless the storyline has me hooked.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2013, 11:16:15 PM »

Have you ever written an AU? Would you ever consider it? If you did, what kind of story would you create?

I used to not be into AU at all. I started writing one a couple years ago that I quickly ditched because the boys weren't themselves at all and it just worked better as original fiction. AU isn't my favourite genre, but I have read some. For the most part my thoughts mirror Julie's in that I enjoy them if they're well written and the guys personalities are intact still. I never had any desire to write one at all after my failed attempt, but then Julia said something that blew my mind. She said that AU's were basically just about the guys having a different job. It's simple and an accurate explanation, but I'd never really thought about it at that angle before.

I am attempting an AU right now as my current story, and honestly I'm finding it really difficult. It's not the keeping the characters as themselves that's hard, it's the world building aspect. With canon, obviously, all the backstory is built in. Presumably anyone who's reading a BSB fic knows enough to know how they came together and what the important parts of their history are. With this I have to find ways to incorporate the created backstory without shoving it all at the beginning. This is a good thing I guess, since if I ever wrote a real novel I'd have to do all that and more with completely original characters a reader would have no familiarity with.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2013, 12:15:58 AM »

I hate my voice, I'm trying to get more comfortable but I am so camera shy. I am from Jersey but I don't have the accent...altho ugh my friends in England who play animal crossing heard me talk during  wifi session, they kept telling me to talk cause they loved my voice. I had no idea the mic was on when we were playing lol

usako

« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2013, 01:30:14 AM »

I've only written in two other fandoms. Actually,my writing adventure started with Sailor Moon fanfiction, though I've only posted one stories but I still have the others unfinished in my computer. Then I wrote a short one for Glee.
I find very difficult to change and write in another fandom because it's hard to me picturing someone else different from Brian and Nick. lol

usako

« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2013, 01:33:54 AM »

Yes, I did. More than once.
My first one was "Love Story" in which I took Brian and Nick and placed them in New York as college students. Then there is another one that I've started which is a sort of fantasy AU since Brian and Kevin are angels.
I love writing AU. It's the closer thing to writing an original fiction, it gives you the freedom to create your own world and play more freely with the characters.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 50