Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124150 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #270 on: July 04, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »

A long standing goal of mine was to win a Felix award, which I did this past awards season! That was very exciting :)

It's still one of my goals to finish Running Up That Hill. I'd really like to get back into it but I almost need a week off from work to re-read the entire thing and just write the rest of it in one go. Wouldn't that be nice!

I'd like to complete my main writing project by the end of the summer and have another story completed after that by the end of the year. So basically have two more completed and posted novel-length stories by the time 2013 is done.

I try not to set feedback based goals really, because I don't have any control over them being met and obviously that shouldn't be the point of writing. But it would be cool if one of my stories ended up on this 1D slash recs blog I follow!

I'm sure there are more, but those are the big ones for the moment!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #271 on: July 05, 2013, 11:16:38 AM »

My first goal was to finish the first story I posted here (Forever), since I started it, oh.... 15 years ago.  Currently still working on that one :)  My second was to write a story that was well-received by the readers on this site.  While it may have not appealed to some of you on this forum, based on what I now know about the genres you like to read, I think I definitely accomplished that with Falling in Love Again.  A secondary goal with that one in particular, just for my own self-confidence, was to be nominated for a Felix Award.  Winning was something I never anticipated at all, and to get Best Romance Runner-Up for that story was awesome. My next goal is to write something that will pull me out of my comfort zone a little by delving into a genre other than romance.  My newest story is a humor story, but I'm going to attempt suspense or action/adventure, maybe.  I'm also working on a little something with Forever that I think may help accomplish that as well.  I've decided to play around with that story a little bit, since I've already been working on it for so long anyway, and it's bound to get lengthy.  Why not make it even longer?  haha

That line made me very happy! I really hope you do consider it, even if it's just a short story to start out with it!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #272 on: July 05, 2013, 11:18:35 AM »

A long standing goal of mine was to win a Felix award, which I did this past awards season! That was very exciting :)

It's still one of my goals to finish Running Up That Hill. I'd really like to get back into it but I almost need a week off from work to re-read the entire thing and just write the rest of it in one go. Wouldn't that be nice!

I'd like to complete my main writing project by the end of the summer and have another story completed after that by the end of the year. So basically have two more completed and posted novel-length stories by the time 2013 is done.

I try not to set feedback based goals really, because I don't have any control over them being met and obviously that shouldn't be the point of writing. But it would be cool if one of my stories ended up on this 1D slash recs blog I follow!

I'm sure there are more, but those are the big ones for the moment!

And that line also made me happy! You were on a roll with that story and then you just...stopped! I miss it and want an update! :)

Is slash the biggest genre when it comes to 1 D, Steph?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #273 on: July 05, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »

That line made me very happy! I really hope you do consider it, even if it's just a short story to start out with it!
An idea came to me this morning. Instead of working on finishing the two stories I have in progress, I'm writing the first chapter of a new one. ::)  I doubt I'll post it until I make more progress on the other two, but while it's in my head, I figure I might as well! 

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #274 on: July 05, 2013, 01:18:25 PM »

And that line also made me happy! You were on a roll with that story and then you just...stopped! I miss it and want an update! :)

Is slash the biggest genre when it comes to 1 D, Steph?

I know, I'm sorry it's taken so long! 1D sort of killed my BSB inspiration but now that the initial excitement of a new fandom has gone down a bit (plus all the IAWLT excitement) I'm hoping to get my groove back on that one!

I would say slash is definitely the biggest genre in 1D, yeah. Most authors I follow in that fandom started out writing het fics and have either moved onto slash completely or have at written at least one slash story.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #275 on: July 05, 2013, 01:58:37 PM »

^ that's interesting, why do you think that is?

And yay Emily! :)

okay, I guess this is a good question to tie into what Steph is talking about.

At the moment, what do you feel is the most popular genre in the BSB fandom and do you think it's always been that way?

I would say when I first started reading BSB fic about ten years or so ago, I think slash was one of the biggies for this fandom as well.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #276 on: July 05, 2013, 02:16:29 PM »

What were/are some of your goals as a fanfic writer and have you been able to achieve them?

My goal right now is just to keep writing on Guilty Roads.  I guess that's always my goal - to finish whatever story/stories I'm working on LOL.

There are really two types of goals I've had as a fanfic writer:  goals related to writing itself and goals related to being recognized for my writing.  My writing goals have been things like developing strong characters, crafting unique storylines, researching to make my writing accurate, writing in different genres, and writing a story that could translate to original fiction.  My recognition goals have been more along the lines of getting feedback/reviews, boosting my site's traffic, seeing my site and stories recommended on other sites, being nominated for and winning awards, and earning a spot in the Top Tens on AC.

I've been able to achieve most of the goals I've had in mind.  At this point, my goals are just to continue writing, finish the stories I've started before moving on to new ones, and keep improving as a writer.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #277 on: July 05, 2013, 02:37:02 PM »

At the moment, what do you feel is the most popular genre in the BSB fandom and do you think it's always been that way?

I would say when I first started reading BSB fic about ten years or so ago, I think slash was one of the biggies for this fandom as well.

I think the most popular genre in the BSB fandom is romance and has always been romance.  Slash seemed to be more popular ten years ago than it is today, but I don't think it ever surpassed het romance in popularity.

Het romance, on the other hand, seems to dominate the fandom even more these days than it did when I started reading in 1999.  It was popular back then too, of course, but so were a lot of other genres.  There were more medical drama, suspense, sci-fi, and fantasy than I see on AC these days.

Just out of curiosity, I did some counting, and almost 63% (10 out of 16) of the BSB fics on the Most Recent pages right now are romance.  If you look at all the BSB fics on AC, though, the percentage is different.  There are 163 pages of BSB fics if you go through the Categories section.  Search for only the romance fics within that category, and it goes down to 79 pages.  That's roughly 48% (and probably includes slash).  That tells me that there is a wider variety of genres on AC than what we see on the Most Recent page most days, but romance is dominating more now than it has over the whole history of AC.  Still, the fact that almost half of the stories on AC include romance shows how popular it's always been.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #278 on: July 05, 2013, 03:31:17 PM »

I can't believe you took the time to research that! LOL

I agree, It think romance is by far the most popular at the moment, just judging by the most recent page alone. I remember ten years ago as well that it was all about slash versus het. Sex was the underlying factor in a lot of the stories back then which is why I think visuals whether they were slash based or 'het' based seemed to be really popular. I have to say, that even though sex does play an important part in a lot of the stories on AC now, most of them tend to have more to do with the actual relationship of the characters than the 'hot sex' they tend to have. That's something I see as a positive.

I also think when they were younger, and I guess we were younger lol Imaginations tended to run more wild with the possibility of what you wanted to do with a Backstreet Boy? Maybe as people started to mature so did their writing.

As far as variety, I think back then there was so much more to choose from because there were so many more of us writing. Most of the people who wrote in the versatile styles like Suspense, Sci Fi, Medical etc... have kind of left the fandom, moved on etc... Which is why the percentages are most likely so different when you compare the entire site to the most recent page.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 03:32:50 PM by mare »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #279 on: July 05, 2013, 03:32:55 PM »

Along this line of thought, what made you decide to write in the genre you did when you wrote your very first fanfic and have you managed to branch out or do you still stick to the same style you started with?

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #280 on: July 05, 2013, 03:38:51 PM »

What were/are some of your goals as a fanfic writer and have you been able to achieve them?

When I first started writing, my goal was just to write a story as I hadn't written anything since school.  I achieved that and went on to write a few romance stories.  My next goal was to write something non-romantic and I've written things as un-romantic as you can get with bot flies, time travel, serial killers, killer video games LOL.

I think my next goal should be to finish my neglected story.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #281 on: July 05, 2013, 03:46:38 PM »

Along this line of thought, what made you decide to write in the genre you did when you wrote your very first fanfic and have you managed to branch out or do you still stick to the same style you started with?

I wrote romance stories on the Take That site because that's all there was!  I didn't even know that people wrote anything else (yes, I was that clueless LOL).  It wasn't until I discovered AC and realised that there was more to fanfic than just romance.  I still love a good romance, but now I also love most other genres too and have had a go at writing in most of them.  The closest I've come to writing slash was a Take That one-shot where I had my man Jason kissing one of the other guys.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #282 on: July 05, 2013, 07:30:00 PM »

I am going to guess it's a mixture of there always being slash fans, with the added subject that so many 1D fans actually believe that some of them are in a relationship.. . which stems from the boys themselves being incredibly flirtatious and sexual with each other on stage and in interviews.

I would have guessed romance as the most popular genre in BSB fandom, and judging by Julie's statistics, it seems I'm right! I'd say it was probably like that ten years ago as well, there was just more of it, along with everything else. There was definitely a lot more slash in BSB fandom back then - but I also think it depends on the archive. Over here, there's not a lot of it. Scrolling through the BSB section of Archive of Our Own (which doesn't appear to be overly active) the bulk of it seems to be slash.

My very first fanfic was a best friends fall in love type thing where Nick ends up with me, and I wrote it because (as my friend described it when we were twelve) it was the closest we were ever going to get to any of our fantasies. LOL.

Aside from that we also wrote stories about the boys just going about their daily lives and having (what we thought were) hilarious shenanigans. I suppose in that regard I haven't branched out a lot - I still write romance (though I'm no longer a character in the stories) and I still write about the boys day to day shenanigans.

Obviously where I've branched out a bit more is writing slash in another fandom. Also, my writing's a lot darker and more angsty now than it was back then! I suppose that makes sense, since I wouldn't have written that way when I was twelve haha.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #283 on: July 06, 2013, 06:33:57 AM »

My very first fanfic was suspense. I decided to write it after reading Ground Zero and being really inspired by that! I have never left my love for writing suspense, but I have branched out to almost every other genre since then. Actually I think I have written in every single genre since then. Wow, go me! After my little romance a few weeks ago, I think I really have covered everything else except for the mpreg maybe lol yeah, I won't be going there.

usako

« Reply #284 on: July 06, 2013, 06:42:32 AM »

There was definitely a lot more slash in BSB fandom back then - but I also think it depends on the archive. Over here, there's not a lot of it. Scrolling through the BSB section of Archive of Our Own (which doesn't appear to be overly active) the bulk of it seems to be slash.

Being a slash writer and reader, I've to say that BSB slash is pretty much dead. Those stories on Archive of Our Own are only old stories posted previously on livejournal. It's very, very, very difficult to find something new to read (and good, since I'm a pricky reader.) and sometimes I feel like I'm the last one writing it.  :D  :D :D

My very first fanfic wasn't slash but it was a Frick and Frack still. The reason was because I was so sick and tired to find stories that only had as main plot a love story and where the attention wa on the female character. I don't want to read about the girl being tortured/beated/hurt/sick/dying, I want to read about the guys dealing with these things. lol The only het I started to write (and then erased it because it sucked) was about Brian meeting this girl that then ended up threatening him to hurt the other guys if he didn't stay with her.  :D

Then I discovered the world of slash and since then I've only written that genre. Still, I don't write only romance. My very first long (that it still is waiting to be finished) is a drama/suspence (poor Brian), I've started a fantasy, a sort of humour story where Brian was a sort of Tukedo Kamen from Sailor Moon. I still have to write a good medic fic about Brian and that is definetely one of my goal as an author.

I think I really have covered everything else except for the mpreg maybe lol yeah, I won't be going there.

I did!  :D :D :D Another way to torture Brian  :D :D :D
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 50