Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124156 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #330 on: July 08, 2013, 09:07:13 AM »

Have you ever written a story just to get more readers?

You know, I can honestly say I've never done that! There are stories I have started that I know if I posted more people would probably read them than my main projects, but I don't think I'd be able to keep up the momentum on something like that without finding the inspiration myself for them.

Have you ever continued/finished a story just to please your readers?

I feel like I wouldn't be so inclined to finish Running Up That Hill if I didn't have people reading it, but I'd probably still feel the push to finish it for completeness sake. I don't think there's any story though I've finished or written on just to please my readers. I've always been that way, I just write what I like and if people like it, that's great. As I said before, I'm trying to complete stories now before posting them so no one is left hanging. If feel like the stories turn out better that way as well, writing when I feel like it rather than forcing something out because I'm feeling pressure to update.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #331 on: July 08, 2013, 09:08:59 AM »

Have you ever deleted a review you disapproved of?

Nope! The only time I delete reviews is if I notice it's one that got posted twice in error.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #332 on: July 08, 2013, 11:17:44 AM »

After seeing what some idiot said to Cinzia in a review, here is another question for you.

What is the worst thing someone has said to you in a review about one of your stories?

It wasn't on this site, it was for one of my Take That stories a few years ago.  Some stupid person said that they couldn't imagine Gary Barlow ever being the way I'd written him, and that I had my facts wrong.  The thing with that site was that the people on there all thought Take That were gods and could do no wrong!  They weren't willing to accept that any of the band could have faults, so my story about Gary cheating on his fictional wife didn't go down too well with some lol.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #333 on: July 08, 2013, 11:19:49 AM »

Well, some people were not down with Nick dying in Forever Like This, but I expected that from the beginning lol.

LOL I might've said "aw no, you can't kill Nick" but I would've meant it in a nice way.  I did enjoy that story :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #334 on: July 08, 2013, 11:25:22 AM »

I know we all say we write for ourselves, but...

I've not written a story to gain readers, nor have I finished one to please anyone.

But someone did once email me asking if I'd write a romance story with her as the main character LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #335 on: July 08, 2013, 11:28:06 AM »

No, but I did delete the story (the cheating Gary Barlow from Take That one) from the other site I used to go on.  I deleted all my stuff from there though.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #336 on: July 08, 2013, 02:30:41 PM »

Ugh, I hate when people have that kind of attitude when it comes to groups. That they are perfect and if you write otherwise it's the biggest offense known to man! You should re-post your Take That fics on this site one day, Steph.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #337 on: July 08, 2013, 02:34:51 PM »

Was there ever a story or a chapter of a story you were afraid to post because of the reaction it might get?

Which story were you most pleased with the reactions you received for a particular scene or plot that maybe either no one saw coming or you had hoped for tears or anger etc...?

Were you ever disappointed with the reaction you got from your readers for a particular scene or character?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

usako

« Reply #338 on: July 08, 2013, 02:38:26 PM »

Nope. That famous review is still there, in plain sight. Along with my reply. I prefer reply instead than delete. The only case I can think of deleting is if I'm being insulted. And, thankfully, that it never happened.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #339 on: July 08, 2013, 02:54:46 PM »

Ugh, I hate when people have that kind of attitude when it comes to groups. That they are perfect and if you write otherwise it's the biggest offense known to man! You should re-post your Take That fics on this site one day, Steph.

I might do, but some of them are a bit cringeworthy LOL

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #340 on: July 08, 2013, 03:02:27 PM »

Was there ever a story or a chapter of a story you were afraid to post because of the reaction it might get? Yes, there have been chapters of stories where I've been a bit nervous.  Like for example 'When We Collide' (which I'm re-reading as Ritz is reading for the challenge), it's got a lot of sex scenes in it and I felt a bit awkward posting them.  I wondered if they were over the top or maybe not interesting enough.

Which story were you most pleased with the reactions you received for a particular scene or plot that maybe either no one saw coming or you had hoped for tears or anger etc...? I loved the reactions to Nick digging out bot flies from Jordan Knight's head in 'Save A Prayer'.  I knew no one was expecting that!

Were you ever disappointed with the reaction you got from your readers for a particular scene or character? No, because I know that we all have didn't opinions.  Just because I might think something seems like a good idea doesn't mean anyone else will like it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #341 on: July 08, 2013, 04:07:34 PM »

I have never written a story just to get more readers.  I have written a couple of stories just to please individual readers who gave me an idea or suggested I write a certain type of story.  I learned the hard way that this is not a good idea LOL.  This was a long time ago, but I hated both stories and only finished them because I felt obligated to, not because I wanted to.

As stated above... yes!  I hate leaving stories unfinished, so I always try to finish what I start, even if I have to force myself to write.  I have finished or intend to finish all but one of the individual stories I've posted over the years, but I've definitely needed a push on some of them.  If it weren't for the fact that so many people have shown an interest in Guilty Roads, I probably would have moved on to a different story by now.

Nope!  As Cinzia said, I'd rather reply and leave it up for people to see than delete it and pretend it never existed.  If the review is inappropriate, then it's just going to make the person who left it look bad, not me.  And it's not inappropriate, then why delete it?  Even if I disagree with what was said, everyone is entitled to their opinion.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #342 on: July 08, 2013, 06:47:14 PM »

Was there ever a story or a chapter of a story you were afraid to post because of the reaction it might get?
I remember being really nervous to post the chapter in Broken where Nick finds out he's going to lose his leg.  Looking back, I'm not sure why I was so nervous about the reaction it was going to get because even though it was supposed to be a big shocker, I bet a lot of people saw it coming.  Why give your main character bone cancer if you're not going to chop off a limb at some point, right? LOL  But at the time, I made it out to be a big deal in my own mind.

Along the same lines, I was afraid of the reaction Curtain Call was going to get when I started posting that one.  I figured people would compare it to Broken and be like, "Really?  You're writing another Nick cancer story?"  I posted the first five chapters all at once just to get it over with LOL.

Which story were you most pleased with the reactions you received for a particular scene or plot that maybe either no one saw coming or you had hoped for tears or anger etc...?
I was pleasantly surprised by the reaction Curtain Call got, after worrying that it would be seen as a desperate attempt to recreate the Broken magic.

As far as particular scenes/storylines, I was happy with the reactions to Secrets of the Heart and the fact that no one figured out all my plot twists.  The last time I tried to write a mystery, someone guessed the ending right away, which made me revise the ending, which made the story not make as much sense, so it was nice not to have that problem with Secrets.

Were you ever disappointed with the reaction you got from your readers for a particular scene or character?
I can't remember ever being disappointed with the reaction I got from readers plural.  I've been disappointed by the reactions of individual readers, but that's to be expected.  Not everyone is going to like the direction a story takes or interpret everything the exact way I intended.  I think the biggest disappointment for me is just a LACK of reaction.  It sucks when you post something you're really proud of and excited about, and NO ONE reviews.  This doesn't happen to me very often anymore, though, so I can't complain!
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #343 on: July 08, 2013, 10:29:29 PM »

LOL I might've said "aw no, you can't kill Nick" but I would've meant it in a nice way.  I did enjoy that story :)

Thanks, Steph! Haha, your reviews on that one were always very sweet and I enjoyed them!
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #344 on: July 08, 2013, 10:52:18 PM »

Nick and Ashleigh's baby died in My Happy Ending, which I knew was going to upset my readers. I remember being really worried at the time that people were going to think I'd taken it too far and were disgusted by it, but no one really was. They were just sad for the plot twist, which made sense because it was a pretty sad thing to have happen.

And I was terrified to post Running Up That Hill initially. I don't know why, but I think it was because all I'd really written up to that point was Nick romance, so posting something out of my comfort zone and totally unlike my other works was scary for me.

Honestly, I was really pleased with all of the reactions for Forever Like This. I wasn't even going to post it anywhere, but my friend convinced me to and I was surprised that people ended up liking it. I was proud of the uber drama wedding scene in particular and really happy that people seemed to respond favourably to it. I suppose it was because Nick was the hero at that point in the story.

I don't think I've ever been disappointed with anyone's reaction, but I agree with what Julie said about being disappointed with a lack of a reaction! There have been chapters I've posted with what I felt were really pivotal moments, and for those to get 0 or 1 reviews can be slightly frustrating. But honestly, I did love writing that story and even though it had a smaller readership than I might've hoped for, I still count it as a success because I'm pleased with how it turned out.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 50