Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124129 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2013, 06:09:03 PM »

I was going to ask for fun how many total reviews you had with all your stories combined but then I decided not to because it would involve math! lmao The site doesn't have that info anywhere, sadly, so you'd have to calculate yourself! Boo AC!!!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #376 on: July 09, 2013, 06:58:49 PM »

Saka-Steph will appreciate why I found 649 to be amusing!

I also found it amusing, and then was doubly amused at your comment lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #377 on: July 09, 2013, 07:03:28 PM »

Do you do any writing in "real life" outside of fanfic?

I have done a bit of writing on original fiction - my Nano 2010 novel was OF.. even though I never finished it. I also started another original fiction novel but havne't got very far with it. That's about it!

I've left 596 reviews, I actually thought it was less than that so yay me lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #378 on: July 09, 2013, 07:31:56 PM »

I am at 789 but I'm going to go ahead and round up to 790 because I leave a review a day.

I don't think that's bad considering how little I actually do read. It would have been way higher had it been when I first found fanfic. LOL

Mine too, although I don't think I ever gave anyone feedback until I started writing and getting it myself.  Even then, it actually intimidated me to email well-respected authors that I looked up to.  I had this delusional idea that they must get SO much feedback, they wouldn't even read, let alone care, what I had to say.  I really put them on a pedestal LOL.  And now, that just seems so ridiculous to me!  Who wouldn't want more feedback??  I bet even best-selling authors, even if they don't have time to respond to it all, still appreciate hearing what their readers think.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #379 on: July 09, 2013, 07:32:54 PM »

I also found it amusing, and then was doubly amused at your comment lol

LOL Okay...?
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #380 on: July 09, 2013, 08:06:44 PM »

LOL Okay...?

Haha 649 is the name of our huge lottery here in Canada. Like the Powerball in the US, I think.
~Saka ♥

- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #381 on: July 09, 2013, 08:16:32 PM »

Haha 649 is the name of our huge lottery here in Canada. Like the Powerball in the US, I think.

Ahh, that explains that!  Do I win?
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #382 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:27 PM »

Here's a morbid question for my fellow medical drama lovers.  Which do you prefer, injury or disease?
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #383 on: July 09, 2013, 08:40:37 PM »

Mine too, although I don't think I ever gave anyone feedback until I started writing and getting it myself.  Even then, it actually intimidated me to email well-respected authors that I looked up to.  I had this delusional idea that they must get SO much feedback, they wouldn't even read, let alone care, what I had to say.  I really put them on a pedestal LOL.  And now, that just seems so ridiculous to me!  Who wouldn't want more feedback??  I bet even best-selling authors, even if they don't have time to respond to it all, still appreciate hearing what their readers think.

I know, right? That's why I hate it when people say they don't leave feedback because they feel dumb or don't know what to say. I'm happy with a "I like this!" LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #384 on: July 09, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »

Here's a morbid question for my fellow medical drama lovers.  Which do you prefer, injury or disease?

It depends. I don't mind disease as long as it's well researched but since I'm not a fan of the boys dying, I think I prefer injury over the diseases anyway. LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #385 on: July 09, 2013, 09:26:13 PM »

Is there anything that is 'off limits' to you as a writer? Something you would NEVER do in one of your stories?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #386 on: July 09, 2013, 09:38:08 PM »

I know, right? That's why I hate it when people say they don't leave feedback because they feel dumb or don't know what to say. I'm happy with a "I like this!" LOL

Exactly!  I don't think people necessarily realize this until they start writing themselves, though.  At that point, there's no excuse, but having been there myself, I do get when people say they feel dumb or don't know what to say.  That's why a "Great story!" or "Update!" review is better than nothing - at least they said something, and for that person, that might be all they feel comfortable saying.  That's another reason I always reply to reviews, though, so let them know I appreciate it and hopefully encourage them to review more!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #387 on: July 09, 2013, 09:45:38 PM »

I love a good grievous injury, but I think I gotta go with disease on this one.  I've written more stories centering around illness, whereas injuries tend to make better subplots.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #388 on: July 09, 2013, 09:49:26 PM »

Exactly!  I don't think people necessarily realize this until they start writing themselves, though.  At that point, there's no excuse, but having been there myself, I do get when people say they feel dumb or don't know what to say.  That's why a "Great story!" or "Update!" review is better than nothing - at least they said something, and for that person, that might be all they feel comfortable saying.  That's another reason I always reply to reviews, though, so let them know I appreciate it and hopefully encourage them to review more!

Yup, responding to all reviews is important! Even the "YAY" or "Update!" It lets people know you read what they said and appreciated it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #389 on: July 09, 2013, 10:01:42 PM »

Is there anything that is 'off limits' to you as a writer? Something you would NEVER do in one of your stories?

The only thing I can think of that I would shy away from is killing/hurting one of the real Backstreet kids.  I will kill off the wives if necessary, but I've never killed one of the real kids, only fictional ones.  That's not to say that I would NEVER cross that line... I might, if it was an integral part of the plot (Sarah's story "Fracture" that she never finished is a good example of this), but I would feel weird about it.  

I also don't like to write about their real life drama until after it's over.  Stuff like AJ going to rehab, Nick's cardiomyopathy, Leslie's death, Howie's dad's or sister's death, even Brian's heart surgery... while all of those issues could have (and, in some cases, HAVE) made for a good, dramatic story, I wouldn't have touched them with a ten-foot pole while they were happening.  I feel that things like that are too fresh, too raw, too REAL to write about until enough time has gone by.  It's like there's a grace period with any real life drama or tragedy, and once some time has passed and all seems well again, then I feel like it's okay to include it in a story.  I rarely base whole stories around real drama like that, anyway - I'd rather mess up their lives with fictional drama LOL.
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 50