Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124121 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #390 on: July 09, 2013, 11:24:01 PM »

I finally saw "This is the End" the other day.  I enjoyed it (especially the ending), but I couldn't help but think that not just anyone could get away with making a movie like that, in which they get all their friends together and play themselves, and have it be a success.  It was very self-indulgent.

So my question is, what's the most self-indulgent story you've written and why?
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

usako

« Reply #391 on: July 10, 2013, 01:15:26 AM »

How many reviews have you left on the site according to your statistics?

I read a lot of stories, even way back when I wasn't registred on the site or the forum. I've already said that I'm bit shy when it comes to interact so I tend to leave few reviews because I always end up being stuck not knowing how to put in words my thoughts. Especially because I don't want to leave a simple "Great chap" or "Please, update!". The reading challenge is helping so hopefully I will leave more and more reviews.

usako

« Reply #392 on: July 10, 2013, 01:20:48 AM »

Here's a morbid question for my fellow medical drama lovers.  Which do you prefer, injury or disease?

Both?  :D  :D
As a reader, I love those kind of stories and I've learn so much about medical that sometimes I shocked my English teacher because I knew the names of organs and illness that she didn't even teach! lol
As a writer, I wrote a lot about diseases. Poor Brian, I've tortured him in so many ways and that's because even a simple cold has to be turned in something more serious and worse.

usako

« Reply #393 on: July 10, 2013, 01:24:13 AM »

Is there anything that is 'off limits' to you as a writer? Something you would NEVER do in one of your stories?

I'll go with what Julie has said, killing a Backstreet's kids. This is something that I wouldn't ever be able or want to write. If the story really requires a dead kid, I'd probably invent an original character and put into the story.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #394 on: July 10, 2013, 03:58:50 AM »

Now is it sad that I would have no trouble killing off a Backstreet kid? lol I kind of lump them in with all the other misc people, but then again for that same reason I never would really feature them anymore than in passing.

Is there anything that is 'off limits' to you as a writer? Something you would NEVER do in one of your stories?

I can't ever see myself writing a female centered fic ever. Yup, I'll kill the kids but damn it all to hell if I center a BSB fanfic around a girl! lmao
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #395 on: July 10, 2013, 04:04:13 AM »

I want to see that movie! I might splurge next week and go see a matinee or something before it disappears!

I would say the most self indulgent story I have ever written is 5 Backstreet Boys in Search of a Plot. The three of us wrote this purely for our own enjoyment just to overly mock and take a stab at all the sterotypical things that went on in all the genres of fanfic. We cracked ourselves up as we did it and pretty much didn't care whether people read it or not. We were surprised to see it end up as popular as it did, but yeah, that one was pretty self indulgent!

As a solo act, I would have to say Why I'd Do it All Again was my self indulgent homage to the boys because I got to just selfishly make up in my mind what I wanted to really happen behind the scenes of their day to day lives, not really caring if I was right on the money or not. I mean, I would love to picture Nick really falling out of a window to grab his cellphone to this day and in my head it actually happened! lmao
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 04:07:07 AM by mare »
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #396 on: July 10, 2013, 04:15:19 AM »

My review count is 1679.....but that is because I always review every chapter, even if it is an old story....I also read WAY more than I write LOLLOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #397 on: July 10, 2013, 04:36:12 AM »

Now is it sad that I would have no trouble killing off a Backstreet kid? lol I kind of lump them in with all the other misc people, but then again for that same reason I never would really feature them anymore than in passing.

I can't ever see myself writing a female centered fic ever. Yup, I'll kill the kids but damn it all to hell if I center a BSB fanfic around a girl! lmao

LMFAO I love you, Mare.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #398 on: July 10, 2013, 04:41:27 AM »

Why thank ya! lmao :)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #399 on: July 10, 2013, 04:49:01 AM »

For the self-indulgent story question, I'd have to answer for the past and the present, because my most self-indulgent stories were written like 13 years ago.  There was my girlband story, "Through Thick and Thin," in which I based the female characters on myself and my best friends, and yes, we all hooked up with the Backstreet Boys.  That was very self-indulgent (and yes, I seriously did write a story like that LOL).  Then there was "The Terror Chronicles," which is the only story in which I've blatantly included myself as a character - my ideal future adult self, that is, since I was fifteen when I wrote it.  I did NOT hook up with a Backstreet Boy in that one, only because I was already married to a character based on my real life high school crush.  So that was pretty self-indulgent too.

As far as more recent examples go... I think my most self-indulgent story is Footprints, which is basically just scenes and back story from Broken written from Claire's point of view.  I won't say I wrote it just because I couldn't let go of Broken, because I still had a ways to go on BMS when I started it, but I also didn't write it because it was in any way necessary to the series.  I just wrote it because I liked my character Claire and because I wanted to, which I guess is what makes it self-indulgent.  It's my one and only venture into "neverending romance series" territory.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #400 on: July 10, 2013, 04:53:36 AM »

My review count is 1679.....but that is because I always review every chapter, even if it is an old story....I also read WAY more than I write LOLLOL

That's awesome, Tracy!  And hey, reading is vital to writing.  Anyone who says they want to be a writer but don't like to read is shooting themselves in the foot.  It doesn't have to be fanfic, but all writers should make reading a priority.
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #401 on: July 10, 2013, 07:17:34 AM »

Here's a morbid question for my fellow medical drama lovers.  Which do you prefer, injury or disease?
I'm going to go injury on this one, though Julie has an interesting point that injury does well as a subplot.  Here's my reasoning- an injury has to have a backstory, a situation you put your character in to end up with said injury. A disease, almost 100% of the time, just happens.  Then, the story basically has to be about the disease itself.  Now, Julie has mastered the art of telling a "disease story" and making it excellent.  I immensely enjoyed the Broken series and Curtain Call, but for my own reading/writing purposes, I think I actually prefer disease/injury as a subplot instead of having the whole story be about it.

I agree with not killing the real-life Backstreet kids.  That just seems so personal, and what it they actually DO read fanfic?  I can't imagine, say, being Howie and stumbling across a story where little John dies.  Eek.  I also agree with keeping real-life drama out while it's still fresh.  For example, let's take Nick in Falling in Love Again and it's (eventual) sequel.  Leslie's death happened around the time frame I'm basing the story on.  I have no intention of touching it.  In my happy little fanfic world, that never happened.  Now, Nick's real life family drama in that he had a pretty crappy upbringing, that's part of what makes Nick, Nick.  So I'm not opposed to mentioning that. One thing I can never see myself doing is slash.  That's just personal preference more than anything

As far as the self-indulgent writing goes, I think that in a way, all fanfic is a bit self-indulgent, because we're inserting our idols into stories we write.  Otherwise, we'd all just be writing original fiction and leaving the Backstreet Boys or any other fandom out of it.  That being said, there are definitely pieces that are more self-indulgent than others.  Julie, I too wrote a big girl band meets boy band story many moons ago,and for anyone who's been reading the forum and the challenge thread, you know that the rewrite of that is Forever.  Totally self-indulgent!  For any other info on that story, you can see that I've alluded to it when answering other questions and in the challenge thread.  No use beating a dead horse, there. lol

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #402 on: July 10, 2013, 07:46:19 AM »

Hmmm.....I usually do not like writing about Nick's siblings, but I included Aaron in my AU series. So probably I would say killing off his family or any of the guys' families is something I have never done nor intend to do. I do not mind killing off girlfriends, fiances or wives though muahahaha ;)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #403 on: July 10, 2013, 07:49:19 AM »

awe thanks Steph :) That chapter was probably one of my favorites to write of that story because I knew it would shock people and I couldn't wait for the reactions. A lot of people were surprised I didn't spare Lauren actually.

Has anyone ever written a part like that that DID get a negative reaction from readers who think they went too far?
I don't think I have!

What's the most extreme, "Oh no you di-in't!" type part you've ever written?
Purely on reaction, Nick's death in Forever Like This. But it wasn't that extreme, he just died in his sleep lol.

Honestly, the most extreme thing I feel I wrote was Niall overdosing on cocaine and then Liam and Louis finding him unconscious in his own vomit. Also, I wrote that in a Starbucks so if anyone had looked at my screen they probably would have thought I was nuts lol.

What extreme scenes have shocked you in other people's stories?
The scene that sticks out the most in my mind is Lauren's death in Tracy's Figured You Out. I wasn't expecting that and she wrote the build up to it so well that I'm sure I actually gasped when it happened.

On average, how many reviews do you get per update?
I think usually about 1-3. There are some stories that have gotten a few more.

How has the amount of feedback you receive changed over the years you've been writing?
Now that I post mostly on Ao3 instead of AC I get less reviews and more "kudos" instead of actual comments. Those are nice so I at least know people enjoyed what they read!

Which do you prefer when it comes to reviews, quality or quantity?

Quality, definitely.

Do you remember the first piece of feedback you got for a fanfic?

I don't remember the first specific piece, but when someone left a message on my guestbook on my old angelfire site I was pretty excited, lol.

What was the first story you posted that surprised you with the amount of feedback it got?

In Pieces got like 6 reviews per chapter, I think. I remember being really excited about that because authors I looked up to were reading it and that was really cool.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #404 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:50 AM »

I did NOT hook up with a Backstreet Boy in that one, only because I was already married to a character based on my real life high school crush.  So that was pretty self-indulgent too.

LOL! That's too cute!
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 50