Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124137 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #405 on: July 10, 2013, 08:05:31 AM »

Has anyone ever written a part like that that DID get a negative reaction from readers who think they went too far?

- No I can't say I've ever gotten a negative review actually. Go me :P

What's the most extreme, "Oh no you di-in't!" type part you've ever written?

- Probably when Laruen gets murdered in Figured You Out because that story to begin with was one that I was really scared of the reactions I would get when I wrote it. I loved seeing how shocked people were when Valerie killed her.

What extreme scenes have shocked you in other people's stories?

- hmmm.....there are so many to choose from though. One that sticks out in my mind was in Song For The Undead when Brian's family comes back as zombies and he has to kill them. The other is Nick killing a fan and baking her into muffins, while singing a nursery rhyme...to this day I will not eat blueberry muffins (Thanks Julie)

On average, how many reviews do you get per update?

- Depends on the story. I don't get much feedback like I used to anymore, when I was writing Finding Carter last fall I received maybe three or four for each chapter, but for my romance stories there are many chapters without feedback. Weird World has gone a few chapters without feedback too, but I keep writing anyway because I want to finish them.

How has the amount of feedback you receive changed over the years you've been writing?

- Yes actually as I stated above, it has gotten less :( since I don't update as frequently most have stopped reading. My best friend reads but doesn't review as she is a co writer on my romance series. I am just happy to write and am getting better at not letting lack of feedback keep me from writing.

Which do you prefer when it comes to reviews, quality or quantity?

- Not gonna lie, there is nothing like seeing those little emails after someone has left a review. I do like seeing the numbers go up because it means people are enjoying it, but let's be honest here, almost every one of us likes seeing reviews :)

Do you remember the first piece of feedback you got for a fanfic?

- The first one that sticks out for me was when Mare was reading Figured You Out....it made me so happy I actually teared up, and she told me that she reccomended it to other people. For my favorite author to do that I felt so honored and special. I had gotten reviews before that but hers really meant the most to me out of anyone else.

What was the first story you posted that surprised you with the amount of feedback it got?

- Finding Carter and Figured You Out both surprised me because honestly I didn't think anyone would like reading them. I am always surprised anyone reviews my work at all and I am really grateful to even get one review.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #406 on: July 10, 2013, 08:07:32 AM »

The most self indulgent story for me would have to be Not The Other Guy. Self insert and I dated Nick, however Tracy in the story was a bit more ambitious than I am in real life. She ends up telling Nick that she will have his children just so he stays with her, as he is in love with her best friend. We get married and I actually am murdered in the sequel on our honeymoon, so I didn't last in the story very long...oops LOL

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #407 on: July 10, 2013, 08:24:23 AM »

"What extreme scenes have shocked you in other people's stories?

- hmmm.....there are so many to choose from though. One that sticks out in my mind was in Song For The Undead when Brian's family comes back as zombies and he has to kill them. The other is Nick killing a fan and baking her into muffins, while singing a nursery rhyme...to this day I will not eat blueberry muffins (Thanks Julie) "

Oh my god, you people are sick!   :crazy: :D **goes to find this scene**
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 08:28:38 AM by emilo »

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #408 on: July 10, 2013, 08:43:59 AM »

Do you remember the first piece of feedback you got for a fanfic?

- The first one that sticks out for me was when Mare was reading Figured You Out....it made me so happy I actually teared up, and she told me that she reccomended it to other people. For my favorite author to do that I felt so honored and special. I had gotten reviews before that but hers really meant the most to me out of anyone else.

Thanks, Tracy! every time you say this I get such a warm and fuzzy feeling :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #409 on: July 10, 2013, 01:29:44 PM »

Here's a morbid question for my fellow medical drama lovers.  Which do you prefer, injury or disease?

I like both, I don't even mind if they're killed off either lol.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #410 on: July 10, 2013, 01:32:58 PM »

Is there anything that is 'off limits' to you as a writer? Something you would NEVER do in one of your stories?

I wouldn't kill off any real life kids and family members.  If they're fictional, then it's OK, but even then, I'm not sure I could kill off a child in one of my own stories.  Maybe that should be a challenge for me!

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #411 on: July 10, 2013, 01:47:10 PM »

I finally saw "This is the End" the other day.  I enjoyed it (especially the ending), but I couldn't help but think that not just anyone could get away with making a movie like that, in which they get all their friends together and play themselves, and have it be a success.  It was very self-indulgent.

So my question is, what's the most self-indulgent story you've written and why?

I loved that film too!

OK, my most self-indulgent story is probably one called Patience which was a Take That story.  The main character was me (LOL) and I was an unlucky in love loser (just like in reality, except at the time I wrote it I was married).  I had the female lead called Steph meet Jason Orange in France, in the place where I'd really been on a family holiday.  Then they had a long distance relationship between South Wales and Manchester where he's from.  Basically, it was wishful thinking, but I did enjoy writing that story lol.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #412 on: July 10, 2013, 03:37:40 PM »

Has there ever been a scene you've written that has brought you to tears while writing it? What about laughter?

If you had to pick only one scene that you've written that feels best represents you as a writer, what would it be?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #413 on: July 10, 2013, 03:51:30 PM »

I wouldn't kill off any real life kids and family members.  If they're fictional, then it's OK, but even then, I'm not sure I could kill off a child in one of my own stories.  Maybe that should be a challenge for me!

LMAO at the killing kids challenge!

I have actually killed quite a few kids in my stories, mostly babies.  I love me some dead babies!   :drools:
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #414 on: July 10, 2013, 03:52:23 PM »

"What extreme scenes have shocked you in other people's stories?

- hmmm.....there are so many to choose from though. One that sticks out in my mind was in Song For The Undead when Brian's family comes back as zombies and he has to kill them. The other is Nick killing a fan and baking her into muffins, while singing a nursery rhyme...to this day I will not eat blueberry muffins (Thanks Julie) "

Oh my god, you people are sick!   :crazy: :D **goes to find this scene**

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10670&chapter=12  :angel:
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #415 on: July 10, 2013, 04:01:40 PM »

LMAO at the killing kids challenge!

I have actually killed quite a few kids in my stories, mostly babies.  I love me some dead babies!   :drools:

I'm glad I'm not the only complete psycho! LOL YAY!!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #416 on: July 10, 2013, 04:02:05 PM »

Here's a morbid question for my fellow medical drama lovers.  Which do you prefer, injury or disease?
I'm going to go injury on this one, though Julie has an interesting point that injury does well as a subplot.  Here's my reasoning- an injury has to have a backstory, a situation you put your character in to end up with said injury. A disease, almost 100% of the time, just happens.  Then, the story basically has to be about the disease itself.  Now, Julie has mastered the art of telling a "disease story" and making it excellent.  I immensely enjoyed the Broken series and Curtain Call, but for my own reading/writing purposes, I think I actually prefer disease/injury as a subplot instead of having the whole story be about it.

Is there anything that is 'off limits' to you as a writer? Something you would NEVER do in one of your stories?
I agree with not killing the real-life Backstreet kids.  That just seems so personal, and what it they actually DO read fanfic?  I can't imagine, say, being Howie and stumbling across a story where little John dies.  Eek.  I also agree with keeping real-life drama out while it's still fresh.  For example, let's take Nick in Falling in Love Again and it's (eventual) sequel.  Leslie's death happened around the time frame I'm basing the story on.  I have no intention of touching it.  In my happy little fanfic world, that never happened.  Now, Nick's real life family drama in that he had a pretty crappy upbringing, that's part of what makes Nick, Nick.  So I'm not opposed to mentioning that. One thing I can never see myself doing is slash.  That's just personal preference more than anything

As far as the self-indulgent writing goes, I think that in a way, all fanfic is a bit self-indulgent, because we're inserting our idols into stories we write.  Otherwise, we'd all just be writing original fiction and leaving the Backstreet Boys or any other fandom out of it.  That being said, there are definitely pieces that are more self-indulgent than others.  Julie, I too wrote a big girl band meets boy band story many moons ago,and for anyone who's been reading the forum and the challenge thread, you know that the rewrite of that is Forever.  Totally self-indulgent!  For any other info on that story, you can see that I've alluded to it when answering other questions and in the challenge thread.  No use beating a dead horse, there. lol

Thanks, Emily!  That's a good point about an injury having a back story, a build-up, whereas a disease just happens.

I also agree with what you said about Nick's crappy upbringing not being a taboo to write about because it's a part of him.  I feel the same way about a lot of the issues the guys have faced in the past, like Brian's heart problems and AJ's alcoholism.  Like I said, I wouldn't have wanted to write about those things right as they were happening, but now that years and years have gone by, those things are just a part of their history and helped shape them into the men they are today.  Nowadays I hardly ever write stories, even AUs, WITHOUT at least mentioning a lot of those things.  It's good back story.  But that's what I meant about there being a grace period, for me anyway - it has to be history, not something that's happening in the present, for me to feel comfortable writing about it.

Gotta love those girlband stories! LOL
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #417 on: July 10, 2013, 04:03:02 PM »

I'm glad I'm not the only complete psycho! LOL YAY!!

Like I said... freaks unite!  :cheers:  We're all a little mad here.
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #418 on: July 10, 2013, 05:45:19 PM »

That's because you don't leave reviews for your favorite stories, Julily ;). Mine's 112, but growing. When I was simply reading and not writing much, I didn't leave many reviews at all. I did a lot of reading before I even registered with the site. Now that I've been writing a lot and doing the reading challenge, I understand the value of good feedback, so I'm trying to do better!

It's actually mostly because I don't keep up with stories. If I actually made it past the prologue/1st chapter I might be more likely to review but I suck at reading LOL

I was saying to Hannah the other day that I want to be sure I'm going to actually read something before I start reviewing because I don't want the author to think I stopped because it wasn't good when I actually stop because I don't particularly like to read and I have the attention span of a gnat LOL I always have the best of intentions though and will follow stories I think I might like to read so I can come back to them and won't forget!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:53:25 PM by julilly »
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #419 on: July 10, 2013, 05:48:47 PM »

Yup, responding to all reviews is important! Even the "YAY" or "Update!" It lets people know you read what they said and appreciated it.

You are the reason I respond to every review now (or at least try my best to!) I've always had issues reading my reviews so I intentionally don't get notifications about them but now I don't find them as scary so I at least open them long enough to say thank you! :)
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 50