Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50

Author Topic: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)  (Read 124138 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 9 (even though days go by lol)
« Reply #420 on: July 10, 2013, 06:00:36 PM »

It's actually mostly because I don't keep up with stories. If I actually made it past the prologue/1st chapter I might be more likely to review but I suck at reading LOL

I was saying to Hannah the other day that I want to be sure I'm going to actually read something before I start reviewing because I don't want the author to think I stopped because it wasn't good when I actually stop because I don't particularly like to read and I have the attention span of a gnat LOL I always have the best of intentions though and will follow stories I think I might like to read so I can come back to them and won't forget!

I do exactly that as well! I read one chapter and kind of get a sense if I know if it's something I'll commit to before I leave a review for the chapter.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #421 on: July 10, 2013, 06:01:25 PM »

You are the reason I respond to every review now (or at least try my best to!) I've always had issues reading my reviews so I intentionally don't get notifications about them but now I don't find them as scary so I at least open them long enough to say thank you! :)

YAY! Happy to hear that! I wish more people would get on the bandwagon!
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #422 on: July 10, 2013, 06:02:51 PM »

I am the same way with reviewing - I don't leave a review until I feel like I'm enjoying the story enough to continue reading it.  Like Julilly said, I don't want anyone to think I started reading and then stopped because the story sucked, when the reality is that I either got busy and fell behind on it or got bored with it, neither of which means the story is bad.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #423 on: July 10, 2013, 09:10:10 PM »

It's actually mostly because I don't keep up with stories. If I actually made it past the prologue/1st chapter I might be more likely to review but I suck at reading LOL

I was saying to Hannah the other day that I want to be sure I'm going to actually read something before I start reviewing because I don't want the author to think I stopped because it wasn't good when I actually stop because I don't particularly like to read and I have the attention span of a gnat LOL I always have the best of intentions though and will follow stories I think I might like to read so I can come back to them and won't forget!

Well, maybe I fan-girled a little bit when I discovered (just last week) that I could see who has favorited my individual stories (yeah, I'm a little slow).  Then I thought, "Weird, I don't have reviews from these people."  But, good point that it's a way to keep up with a story you intend on reading one day.  I might have also fan-girled a little when Julie started reading/reviewing one of my stories last night and Mare told me I was actually a good writer and that I should write in a genre she actually wants to read! lol.

PS- I want to see someone answer Mare's last question.  I'm not sure I have a good answer.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #424 on: July 10, 2013, 09:32:52 PM »

If you are slow than I'm like a sloth because I didn't know you could do that and I'm a mod, granted I'm the mod who just stands in the corner and looks purty when it comes to anything remotely technological. lol

I would also like someone to answer my last question, of course after posting it, I realized how hard it is to actually answer!

So, I'll revise it a little to make it easier and say example(s) plural? Maybe that would work. lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #425 on: July 10, 2013, 09:36:29 PM »

Well, maybe I fan-girled a little bit when I discovered (just last week) that I could see who has favorited my individual stories (yeah, I'm a little slow).  Then I thought, "Weird, I don't have reviews from these people."  But, good point that it's a way to keep up with a story you intend on reading one day.  I might have also fan-girled a little when Julie started reading/reviewing one of my stories last night and Mare told me I was actually a good writer and that I should write in a genre she actually wants to read! lol.

PS- I want to see someone answer Mare's last question.  I'm not sure I have a good answer.

Well, you are a very good writer and my plan is to transform all the very good writers into suspense/action writers so I will have lots of great things to read! LOL If you were to write one of those, I would read it in a sec *whispers* not female centered!  :-*

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #426 on: July 10, 2013, 09:38:44 PM »

Okay, I know the challenge really helps with this and that's why everyone should be doing it, but for those of you that aren't, here is a great way to maybe introduce us to your work and perhaps get some new readers out of the deal!

Nevermind lol I'm going to make a new thread for this so maybe everyone will check it out.

Yes, that was a thread cliffy! lmao

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #427 on: July 10, 2013, 10:05:11 PM »

Well, maybe I fan-girled a little bit when I discovered (just last week) that I could see who has favorited my individual stories (yeah, I'm a little slow).  Then I thought, "Weird, I don't have reviews from these people."  But, good point that it's a way to keep up with a story you intend on reading one day.  I might have also fan-girled a little when Julie started reading/reviewing one of my stories last night and Mare told me I was actually a good writer and that I should write in a genre she actually wants to read! lol.

PS- I want to see someone answer Mare's last question.  I'm not sure I have a good answer.

Aww, thanks! :)

I occasionally favorite stories that I haven't actually read - sometimes, like Julilly said, there are stories that sound interesting that I want to remember to check out sometime, and back when I was still hosting stories on my site, I would favorite the ones that were on AC so I'd know when they were updated and could post the new chapters on my site, but I wasn't necessarily reading all of them.  So that might be part of the reason there are people who have your stories favorited that you've never heard from.  But there are also just people who will favorite your stories, actually read them, enjoy them, and still never bother to let you know.  I've been surprised plenty of times to hear someone mention one of my stories, when I had no idea they had even read it.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #428 on: July 10, 2013, 10:08:07 PM »

Okay, I know the challenge really helps with this and that's why everyone should be doing it, but for those of you that aren't, here is a great way to maybe introduce us to your work and perhaps get some new readers out of the deal!

Nevermind lol I'm going to make a new thread for this so maybe everyone will check it out.

Yes, that was a thread cliffy! lmao

I love your new thread!  I will try to answer it in a little bit.  I'm going to answer your last question now, which I intended to answer earlier and then forgot about after I got distracted responding to other things that other people had said LOL.
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #429 on: July 10, 2013, 10:14:44 PM »

I had a lot of catching up to do on this thread! You guys were chatty today!

I also favourite stories that I intend to read at a later date... probably something that I plan on reading when it's finished, lol.

As for my most self-indulgent story, it was probably one of the first ones I wrote where my friends and I lived in a house with Brian and Nick and had a ton of soap-operatic drama. Fun to write though!

And on things I'd never do in stories, I'll agree with everyone else who said killing off Backstreet kids (well, real ones anyway, I've killed off fictional ones) and real-life drama while it's happening. However, after the ten year grace period I'll analyze it to death! lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #430 on: July 10, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »

Has there ever been a scene you've written that has brought you to tears while writing it? What about laughter?

For as much sad stuff as I write, I don't usually make myself cry.  I do know I cried when I killed off the little boy Casey in By My Side, but I also had that damn Dumbo song (Baby Mine) on repeat to make myself emotional, and that song always makes me cry anyway.  I may have shed a tear or two over the very last chapter of BMS too.  I don't think Curtain Call ever quite got me when I was writing it because I did the opposite and kind of shut myself down emotionally to get through the end of it, but it did make me cry when I reread it last year while Mare was reading it for the reading challenge.

At the risk of sounding arrogant, I make myself laugh all the time when I'm writing, whether the scene is supposed to be funny or not.  I would say all of the parts I've contributed to the "1000 Ways..." round robins have made me laugh, as well as a lot of my 00Carter parts, especially the ones that spoof something.

If you had to pick only one scene that you've written that feels best represents you as a writer, what would it be?

I'd go with Chapter 196 of By My Side: http://dreamers-sanctuary.com/fanfic/stories/novels/bms/bms196/  (I'm linking to the version on my site because the version on AC still has Nickelback lyrics LOL.)

This is the aftermath of a car accident and has to be the most intense scene I've ever written.  It has all the things I'm best known for - third person narration, drama, romance, drama, some action and suspense, drama, a hospital setting, medical drama, a near-death experience, drama, choppage, cheesiness, drama, emotional tearjerker stuff, and more drama!  It's pretty representative of  the stuff I like to write LOL.
~Julie

usako

« Reply #431 on: July 11, 2013, 01:37:05 AM »

Has there ever been a scene you've written that has brought you to tears while writing it? What about laughter?

Yes, there has been and not only one. Especially if it's a scene that hits very close to home. There is one scene/story actually that I've wrote and end up in tears. The story was about Brian as a half angel and half human and in that particular scene he was talking about how he never felt like he belong to something, since other angel had always made him feel and suffered the fact that he was different and not like them. And this reflected how I felt during high school when other people would isolate him only because I was fat.

As for laughter, gosh, I have this little story when I made Brian as Roklord, a superhero that saves Nick from his pyschos fans.  :D :D :D

If you had to pick only one scene that you've written that feels best represents you as a writer, what would it be?

Sadly, I think that my best works are all in the Italian fandom. Being new in the writing in English, I still don't know what best represents me.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #432 on: July 11, 2013, 03:42:21 AM »

Aww, thanks! :)

I occasionally favorite stories that I haven't actually read - sometimes, like Julilly said, there are stories that sound interesting that I want to remember to check out sometime, and back when I was still hosting stories on my site, I would favorite the ones that were on AC so I'd know when they were updated and could post the new chapters on my site, but I wasn't necessarily reading all of them.  So that might be part of the reason there are people who have your stories favorited that you've never heard from. But there are also just people who will favorite your stories, actually read them, enjoy them, and still never bother to let you know.  I've been surprised plenty of times to hear someone mention one of my stories, when I had no idea they had even read it.

According to my stats I have around 86 or so people who have Favorited my stuff and I think I have gotten reviews from maybe 10 of them lol

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #433 on: July 11, 2013, 03:50:35 AM »

I don't really have an answer for the second question I asked just yet lol but I thought I'd go ahead and answer the first one

I generally don't get very emotional when I write something because I kind of get into a zone, but maybe sometimes on one of the re-reads during the editing process, I might get a little choked up. I think the only thing that ever made me flat out cry was Nick's birthday chapter in Seasons of Change which I have talked about before.

I do the same thing as you, Julie. When it comes to cracking myself up, I laugh a lot when I'm writing things even if they aren't supposed to be funny. I admit I think I'm like, the funniest person on earth and probably think my 'funny' scenes are way funnier than they actually are! lmao

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #434 on: July 11, 2013, 04:28:53 AM »

I am stone-faced and heartless while writing, so no.

Lol seriously though, I don't think I've written anything that has brought me to tears. I don't really write sad stuff. Laughter on the other hand ... probably but I don't remember a particular time.

Oh god. I have no clue how to answer that as I don't really know who I am as a writer. I don't think I could ever settle on one scene.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 50