Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36

Author Topic: Question of the day part 10  (Read 90944 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: Question of the day part 10
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2013, 10:13:06 AM »

If you could only use one word to describe yourself as a fanfic writer, what would it be?

What about one word to describe other fanfic writers?

Me = dramatic.  I don't write stories without some kind of drama.  People even die in my comedies LOL.

Rose = intense.  SO intense!  Rose excels at writing the intense stuff, whether it's action, horror, or drama/angst.  Another word I was going to use for her (except it's not in the Double Rainbow song) is brave because she's not afraid to write anything.  If you suggest it, she'll go there!  Also, when she gets a new idea, she gets really into it!  She is the reason why most of our collaborations have come from jokes.  First we're joking around, and then suddenly Rose has us actually talking seriously about it, and the next thing you know, we're writing!  It's so intense!

Mare = original.  Mare marches to the beat of her own drummer!  She knows exactly what she likes and what she doesn't like, and her tastes have absolutely nothing to do with what is popular with everyone else.  She is so creative, she can come up with things no one else would have thought of, and that makes her stories unique.

UK Steph = fluid.  I say this because Steph always seems to go with the flow!  She's willing to try anything, and she's read and written a little of everything!  She always seems to mold her writing style to suit whatever genre she's writing, and that's one reason she does so well with challenges.

Saka Steph = underrated.  It shocked me when Steph said she had never won a fanfic award, just as it shocked me when she said people in her real life don't think of her as smart.  I haven't read a lot of her stories, but I've read enough to know that she is one of the best writers on this board!  People think of her as a romance writer, and there's nothing wrong with that, but seeing as how none of the stories I've read by her have been romance, I can attest to the fact that she is so much more than that!

Tracy = reflective.  This has two meanings.  First, it means Tracy is always thinking.  She questions and doubts herself a lot, but I also see her always trying to grow as a writer and improve upon herself, and she does that by reflecting upon her writing.  Secondly, like a mirror or any reflective surface, Tracy shows us a lot of different things.  She is one of the most diverse writers on the board; she's pretty much done it all, and like Steph, she's willing to try anything.

Julilly = multifaceted.  There are a lot of different sides to Julilly, both as a writer and as a person.  She comes off as tough as nails sometimes, but she also has a wicked sense of humor and a warm, fuzzy side that she may not always like to show (but it's there, trust me - when she's not throwing bunnies or kicking babies or stabbity stabbing people, anyway!).  As a writer, she is equally multi-dimensional.  She doesn't write as often as she should (or doesn't post it anyway), but like Steph and Tracy, she has written in a variety of genres and has utilized AU to take her stories in completely different directions from the fandom norm.

Cinzia = devoted.  I say this because Cinzia, like Mare, is another who knows exactly what she likes and writes what she likes without worrying what others might think.  She is devoted to her craft and to angst and to Brian (and the idea that Brian and Nick might secretly be in love :)).  She is also so devoted that she takes time to translate her stories from Italian to English, or even to write them in English, which is not her first language.  That's dedication!

Lore = brazen.  Lore is bold as a writer.  She's not afraid to write what she loves, even though what she loves is not always what is popular.  She, like Julilly, forges her own path and takes her stories in different directions from the fandom norm.  She's also not afraid to speak her mind and say what she feels, and I respect that quality in her as a person, as well as a writer.

Emily = fresh.  I don't mean the 50s slang version of "fresh," as in "being a smartass."  I used fresh to describe Emily not just because she is a relatively new writer on AC, having been a member for less than two years, but because she has felt like a breath of fresh air this summer!  It's always nice to have new people join the forum and jump right into the conversation, instead of lurking and then calling the rest of us a clique when they don't make friends right away.  In addition to that, I've read two of her stories this summer that I've really enjoyed.  "Falling in Love Again" was the first fanfic, especially a ROMANCE fanfic, that I've read willingly on my own and really gotten into in a LONG time.  It brought back that old warm fuzzy feeling of excitement that I used to get when I read fanfic, and again, I hadn't experienced that in a long time.  Sometimes you need a good old romance with just the right mix of drama and fluff to do that, and Emily's story did.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 10:16:02 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2013, 10:18:22 AM »

Julie - Rainbow. Because she's basically all the colors. She can be any type of writer if she wants to be and she's proven it again and again. I guess Versatile is a better word but it's as close to DRATW as I could get lol.

:sunny:

Thank you ZDR!!!  I love being described as a rainbow!  So bright and vivid!  You almost make me want to take down my Choppage Queen avy and put up a rainbow... almost.  The blade of the bone saw may not be as colorful, but it's still bright!
~Julie

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »

If you could only use one word to describe yourself as a fanfic writer, what would it be?
I honestly have no idea. Blonde? LOL I always write about the whiny blonde one in the group. Nick from BSB, Niall from One Direction, my short lived Ashley Angel/O-town phase lol when I was writing Gundam Wing slash I even wrote about the blonde pilot. Yep.

This is difficult!

Rose - Twisted. This comes from her love of horror, of course!

Tracy - Hilarious. Her stories are so funny - even Figured You Out had a few laugh out loud moments as I recall.

Julie - Angsty. All her stories that I've read have lovely angst!

Mare - Definitely agree with Rose on cliffies, lol. I'd also say brotherhood is one that comes to mind.

Julia - Direct. Her stories get right to the point and aren't overly wordy. I definitely appreciate this as I have a very short attention span, lol.

Steph - Diverse. I can't think of a genre she hasn't tried, it seems like every time she writes a new story it's something completely different from the last.

~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #123 on: July 28, 2013, 02:01:25 PM »

I love the words everyone is using to describe themselves and each other! Yay us!

I think one word for me would be complex because I like to make things as complex as possible, in fanfic land as well as real life. Not always intentional but, yeah. LOL

I would love to come up with a word for every single one of you but to be fair I'm just going to do it for people who I feel like I have a handle on their writing personalities and some of you I don't know that side of you well enough to make that call. 

Julie - thoughtful: I don't think you write a single word without putting a ton of thought behind what you are trying to say, whether it means spending hours researching, watching videos, outlining. You think before you speak!

Rose - collaborator: I associate you with co-writing. I also blame you for this because you constantly call yourself a collab whore! LOL You have a natural ability to work well when writing with someone else and you can also blend with those people's styles flawlessly.

Ritz- Promising: I have only had the chance to read the one story from you but you have a lot of talent and I'm looking forward to reading even more down the line.

Steph - Honest: Your stories come from a very natural and honest type place. You write to please you and for the fun of it. Lots of people say that but don't really mean it, you do and it comes across in your writing and your personality. :)

Tracy - conflicted: You are always doubting your writing and abilities when there's no reason to. You are a good writer. Accept that and move away from comparing yourself to other people because somewhere out there someone is comparing themselves to you!

Julilly - Perfectionist: A trait that makes things you write outstanding but also a trait that keeps you from working on your outstanding stories! LOL

Saka Steph - Spontaneous: You seem to go where the wind takes you. If that happens to be BSB you're there. If it's 1D off you go. Feel like writing a slash, okie dokie then. You're not afraid (at least don't' seem to be) to try new things.

Emily - Personal: Like Ritz, I've only read one story from you but in that one story I saw you. I feel like maybe you put a lot of yourself in your work and that's what helps bring your characters to life.

As I think of more I will add! :)

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #124 on: July 28, 2013, 03:00:19 PM »

I'm enjoying reading all these words and descriptions, too!  Everyone's choosing great words, and they're all so true!

Mare, thank you!  I may OVERthink things sometimes, but I appreciate what you said!  And Steph, I love that you chose the same thing as I chose for myself! LOL
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #125 on: July 28, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »

I really don't know what to say...perhaps the word simple as my stories are never that complex.

This is so hard!

Mare - Bromance.  Your stories always show the brotherly love the boys share, you write them so well and I often think of them as being like the way you write them.  You're confident and are not afraid to say what you like and don't like, which I admire in people.  Oh, and you are also the Cliffhanger Queen, but I do love a good cliffy!

Julie - Perfectionist.  I can tell that every story of yours has had a lot of research put into it and that's what makes them so believable and hooks me in from the start.  I always know that I'm going to enjoy a story written by you, you even made me enjoy a slash story, which is something I never thought would happen.

Lore - Complex.  Your stories are never straightforwar d and I never know what's coming next (and I do like to guess).  You're not afraid to write the kind of stories you like, and write to please yourself.

Rose - Torture.  You do love to make your characters suffer.  Whether you're killing them off, making them lose their identity or giving them Alzheimer's, it's always very enjoyable.

Tracy - Diverse.  You're willing to give anything a go, but worry too much about pleasing people when you have no need to worry about things like that.  Write for yourself :)

Steph - Dramatic.  I've read a few of your stories and they are always packed full of drama, like Forever Like This, which could've just been a straightforwar d romance (and still been great).  I can't believe anyone would think of you as not clever.  That's not what I see at all.

Julilly - Confident.  I've read most of your stories on here and love your confidence and how you get straight to the point of the story, without lacking anything in your storytelling.  

Emily - Realistic.  I've only read one story so far, but loved how natural and real the romance was, and I do love a good romance!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #126 on: July 28, 2013, 03:12:08 PM »

^ Those are great, Steph!  And thank you! :)
~Julie

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #127 on: July 28, 2013, 03:18:06 PM »

I'm also enjoying everyone's words and descriptions, and thanks for the words about me :)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #128 on: July 28, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »

Steph - Multifaceted. You can pretty much blend into any genre. I love that about you because I know going in that no matter what it is, there's a really good chance I'm going to love it.

Tracy - Unsure. You always question yourself when you start new things. Possibly because you'll do practically any story. But you shouldn't! You've got the talent all you need to do is try being a little more confident.

Julilly - Unique. I remember when all your old stories were up and they were always a little left of center. In a very good way obviously. I wish you'd finished them but even so the fact I remember them? (Like the one where Nick was an android) should say a lot for how good you are.

SakaSteph - Diamond. I say that because you're basically the diamond in the rough. People may not realize how talented you are but you should be recognized more! Because yes, you are that awesome!

Lore - Fearless. You write what you want but without really caring if anyone else likes it or not.

Emily - New. I may not have read your stories yet but it's okay. I like how you've jumped into things here! I love new people and their viewpoints :).
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #129 on: July 28, 2013, 04:03:52 PM »

Same here, thanks everyone! We have been very warm and fuzzy lately! LOL

So here's the next question: Who do you think is the worst fanfic writer ever?

LMAO just kidding! Don't answer that!

I was thinking this morning though, I wonder who was the very first person that ever actually posted a BSB fanfic and I wonder what it was about. I wonder if there's anyway to find out that information. I mean it might not even be online anymore. In fact chances are it isn't, but after reading about the trends and such, you can't help but wonder who was the very first person that kicked it all off and what ws the very first story!  :shrug:

Get on that one, Julie! LMAO
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2013, 04:09:32 PM »

What was your very first fanfic about?  Was it BSB or some other fandom?

usako

« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2013, 04:13:22 PM »

Oh gosh, a name came up in my mind but, thankfully, you guys will never know her because she writes only in Italian.  :D :D

What was your very first fanfic about?  Was it BSB or some other fandom?

It was a Sailor Moon fanfic, though I don't remember title or what was about.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2013, 04:13:30 PM »

Aww!  Warm fuzzies for everyone!  Thanks so much to all of you who included me and described me as a writer (very well, I might add!)  I agree with most of these descriptions!  Great question and great answers!

usako

« Reply #133 on: July 28, 2013, 04:18:32 PM »

Complex. I never settle for the simple thing, I always have to go and try to find every reason possible behind every behaviour.

It's really hard, especially because I'm fairly new here. Aside from adding that you girls are amazing, I agree with everyone else.

And thanks Julie. Though I will erase the "secretly" and "might" and replace them with "they're certainly in love". LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #134 on: July 28, 2013, 04:23:50 PM »

Same here, thanks everyone! We have been very warm and fuzzy lately! LOL

I was thinking this morning though, I wonder who was the very first person that ever actually posted a BSB fanfic and I wonder what it was about. I wonder if there's anyway to find out that information. I mean it might not even be online anymore. In fact chances are it isn't, but after reading about the trends and such, you can't help but wonder who was the very first person that kicked it all off and what ws the very first story!  :shrug:

Get on that one, Julie! LMAO

LMAO!  If I thought I could find out the answer to that, I would!  I may Google anyway and see what I can find! :)

I started reading them in 1999, but I'm sure people were writing them years before that, especially the European fans.  It could have started as early as 1996, which is basically the dawn of the internet as we know it.  I think 1996 is the first year I remember having internet.  So BSB fanfic has basically been around forever!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36