Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110551 times)

jess20

• Innocent Bystander
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #210 on: February 17, 2014, 10:35:39 PM »

Cancer stories are so painful for me to read and write. There's just something about cancer that gets to me. I always stay away from cancer stories whether it be in books, fanfiction, TV or movies. You'd have to be pretty gutsy to write cancer, so to be really bogan 'Onya Julie!'

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #211 on: February 18, 2014, 01:54:24 AM »

Follow-up to Tracy's question:

What has been your hardest story to write, what has been your easiest, and why?

My hardest? Oddly enough Walked Out Of My Dreams gave me some serious hell. It was my first attempt at a "Brian" story and while it turned into more a Brian/Nick novella, I think it shows towards the end I was having a bit of a rough time. I don't channel Brian nearly as well as I can channel the other four. I don't know why really, but its rough getting into his head sometimes.

What's funny about that though is my easiest story was Remember Me This Way. That story flowed so well it was ridiculous. It took only a lil over a year to write and part of that was because of work and school and a bunch of other stuff getting in the way lol. But the story was supposed to be "written" by Brian, but it was my easiest story to write out of all of them. So go figure. I think part of it was because in some ways it was well in my comfort zone. As someone who's studied psychology for years I've done research into alzheimer's/early onset alzheimer's and I knew where to look, did even more research and so it it felt natural to slip into Nick's head (who I always have an easy time with) and give him that disorder. I love characterizati on and I feel that in the heart of that fic it's really characters and their angst carrying it along.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #212 on: February 18, 2014, 02:02:31 AM »

I thought of a really interesting question. What genre do you feel as a writer is the most challenging to write, and what genre is the easiest?

You can speak for your own writing experiences or just your opiniona, I am really curious.

For me I think the most challenging is sci fi and romance. With sci fi you need to come up with your own universe and sometimes own laws, or even a society....it takes a lot of creativity.

Romance has been done so many times that it is hard to find a new way to do it and not have it be similar to another idea, you need it to catch people's attention. Romance requires a lot of creativity.

In my personal experience, I'd probably say suspense. While I haven't posted one, I have had ideas but even getting one going is horribly hard LOL. You have to have every little piece thought out so you can drop the tiniest of clues along that no one truly picks up on and the villain needs to be believable. I don't know how Mare does it so often. I end up scrapping my ideas or nudge them aside cause it's so far out of my comfort zone.

Easiest? Probably horror and sci-fi. I love my horror. I love torture LOL. I sound psychotic saying it but I just have all sorts of ideas of cruel new ways to kill, maim or torture the Boys and one of my goals is to eventually write a good ole' horror story rather than just a oneshot because I think it'd just be fun.

As for sci-fi, there's a lot of freedom that comes with it. Because you create your own worlds, your own future (if that applies), creatures, all sorts of things. You get to set up your own rules and as long as you have them in your outline so you don't break them, it's fun starting your new reality from scratch. It takes a lot of details and attention but I really enjoy it. It can be tiring though which I think is why I end up taking "breaks" from it and dabble into other genres.

Here's a good question. What are your strengths as a writer? Weaknesses?

What would you say are the strengths of other writers?

Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #213 on: February 18, 2014, 06:17:33 PM »

I think the hardest story for me to write was "It Stays With You" because it was so disturbing to me. I'm not big on the whole torture thing. Watching it or reading it makes me squirm so I knew it was going to be really hard for me to write about Brian having to torture Nick in this one. Plus writing this from Brian's POV was an added challenge as well. I also struggled through "Whatever The Night May Bring" because of the whole sci fi element of it.

The easiest I believe was "Hope is the Last Thing Ever Lost" I'm not exactly sure why but I didn't struggle with this one at all. The words just came almost effortlessly. Maybe because I had taken a nice long break in between stories so it felt refreshing to write. A close second would have to be "Why I'd Do it all Again" That one was a piece of cake for me because I had always wanted to create some of those scenarios and couldn't wait to do it. LOL
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #214 on: February 18, 2014, 06:23:05 PM »

More good questions that I have to ponder, Rose lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #215 on: February 18, 2014, 07:08:30 PM »

Cancer stories are so painful for me to read and write. There's just something about cancer that gets to me. I always stay away from cancer stories whether it be in books, fanfiction, TV or movies. You'd have to be pretty gutsy to write cancer, so to be really bogan 'Onya Julie!'

I have always loved medical drama!  My two most popular stories happen to be Nick cancer stories, so that's what I'm best known for, but I do write other things too LOL.  I don't see myself doing another cancer story because I'm not sure where else I would take that storyline, but I will always write medical drama.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #216 on: February 19, 2014, 02:46:16 PM »

Hardest story for me to write is Maybe Tomorrow because of all the historical stuff, and is probably why it's still unfinished.

Easiest was Save A Prayer as it just flowed out of me.  Perhaps I should just stick to torturing the boys lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2014, 05:12:42 PM »

I think historical fiction would be hard to write.  I've never written a true historical fiction, but just researching all the Amish stuff for Guilty Roads was a pain in the ass.
~Julie

jess20

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #218 on: February 21, 2014, 03:20:32 AM »

Historical fiction would be SO awesome! If I was into romance I would write one set in the Middle Ages and in the middle of the Crusades - ya know, the whole knight in shining armour thing.

Ooh, can anyone ask a question? Because I have a history nerd question!

So, if you could pick an era to put the guys in, which era would it be? Can't say 21st century because that's no fun! lol

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #219 on: February 21, 2014, 06:34:55 AM »

Yep, anyone can ask a question!  That's a good one!  I'll answer when I have more time to think about it.
~Julie

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #220 on: February 21, 2014, 12:57:45 PM »

I'd like to see 1950-1960's era.  You know, the original boybands- doo-wop groups, the Beatles, the Temptations.  I can see a "That Thing You Do" type story being fun to write.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2014, 08:34:01 AM »

I loooove That Thing You Do. I'd like to see them in the Revolutionary time as minutemen or living in colonial times when America was first starting as a country.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2014, 09:23:46 AM »

Those are both great eras!  I would put them in the 1860, leading up to the American Civil War.  Florida was a part of the Confederacy, while Kentucky, as a border state, was technically neutral, so it would be interesting to put the Boys on different sides.  So much drama!
~Julie

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2014, 10:10:11 AM »

I think historical fiction would be hard to write.  I've never written a true historical fiction, but just researching all the Amish stuff for Guilty Roads was a pain in the ass.

That was all I wrote when I first started writing fanfic. By far, AU historical is my favourite genre. I've written a couple historical fics in the last decade (as I think you know since you're the only person who likes one of them haha) and I always have ideas for more! My favourite era is early 20th century but back in "the day" I did write some medieval action :P
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2014, 10:42:39 AM »

Those are both great eras!  I would put them in the 1860, leading up to the American Civil War.  Florida was a part of the Confederacy, while Kentucky, as a border state, was technically neutral, so it would be interesting to put the Boys on different sides.  So much drama!
That is such a great point!  Good answer!  I've never really read any historical fanfic, but I can see myself enjoying something like that if it was written well!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 44