Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44

Author Topic: Questions to ponder part 11  (Read 110417 times)

balance

• Innocent Bystander
Re: Questions to ponder part 11
« Reply #345 on: July 05, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »

I agree! In fact I put my twitter on private because I get too many of them trying to find me on there! Same with facebook! Ugh these kids grow up too fast!

My twitter is private, but not my facebook.  :shrug:
Pammy Whammy

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #346 on: July 05, 2014, 06:32:23 PM »

My twitter is private, but not my facebook.  :shrug:

I never approve them and tell them they have to wait until I'm not their teacher anymore. I do have a lot of former students as friends on FB now but not while they are still IN my school.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #347 on: July 05, 2014, 06:41:45 PM »

I know!!  I didn't know you were a teacher too! :)  What do you teach?

I run the computer lab at my school.  Can you imagine how frustrating it is to try to teach correct keyboarding skills to kids who are use to sending text messages using their thumbs?!  This coming school year, I'll be celebrating my 20th year at my school. The kids can be frustrating, but they keep me young! Also, they introduced me to the Backstreet Boys.....gotta love them for that!
Pammy Whammy

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #348 on: July 05, 2014, 06:46:54 PM »

I never approve them and tell them they have to wait until I'm not their teacher anymore. I do have a lot of former students as friends on FB now but not while they are still IN my school.

I usually tell them that if they want to be my friend or add me to their friends' list, I need a note or phone call from Mom or Dad.  The weird thing is that I more times than not get parental permission.
Pammy Whammy

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #349 on: July 05, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »

That's neat! I just think it's funny that they even want to be our friends. I don't think I would have ever tried to friend one of my teachers if facebook existed when I was in school. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #350 on: July 05, 2014, 09:32:54 PM »

I don't think I would want to friend any of my teachers, either, at least while I was in school.  It's funny that I'm friends with two of my former teachers now.  I think a lot of it is about "collecting" friends.  There's usually not a lot of conversations going on.  But, I did have one student message me and asked me to print a report for him because he had run out of ink at home.  So I guess facebook could be a useful tool in education.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 09:36:11 PM by balance »
Pammy Whammy

Carter

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #351 on: July 05, 2014, 10:46:43 PM »

I didn't have any favorite teachers in school....most of them weren't nice...so my school experience sucked for most of my life...but I see friends adding their kids' teachers to facebook and I dont see the point I think they should have their privacy and not be apart of their business. I may just be the weird one though lol.
~Carter~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #352 on: July 05, 2014, 10:55:43 PM »

I run the computer lab at my school.  Can you imagine how frustrating it is to try to teach correct keyboarding skills to kids who are use to sending text messages using their thumbs?!  This coming school year, I'll be celebrating my 20th year at my school. The kids can be frustrating, but they keep me young! Also, they introduced me to the Backstreet Boys.....gotta love them for that!

Oh, I bet!!  I teach 4th grade, and most of my students are terrible at keyboarding.  It takes a week for them to type one of their stories or essays, which are typically only 1-2 pages long (using size 20 font LOL).
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #353 on: July 05, 2014, 10:58:40 PM »

I don't accept Facebook friend requests from students... or their parents!  (I had a couple of those this year too.)  I already censor myself on Facebook now that my coworkers (and boss) and older family members are on there, but I would feel even more obligated to make sure everything I posted or "liked" was appropriate if I knew my students and their parents could see it, and that would take all the fun out of it.  My first class of students are going to be juniors in high school this year... I figure when they get out of high school, if they still want to be Facebook friends, I'll friend them then, when we're all adults LOL.
~Julie

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #354 on: July 05, 2014, 11:49:14 PM »

I don't post a lot on Facebook.  And when I do, it's usually school related or something really generic, like going to the local produce store and they have fresh blackberries.  But yeah, I do censor myself when I do post.  I will like pictures, but rarely comment unless it's something like "Happy Birthday."

And Julie, my first group of kids have graduated college and started their professions.  I even have a few with kids!  I told you all before, I'm the old lady on this board!!! :D
Pammy Whammy

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #355 on: July 06, 2014, 03:19:05 AM »

I have kids out of high school and college as well. They are the ones that I have allowed to friend me. When I start teaching the kids of the kids I used to teach is when I will officially start to groan! LOL

I've actually gotten to the point where kids I started teaching in Kindergarten are now in college! I've made it through a full school cycle! lol :o ???
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:48:29 AM by mare »

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #356 on: July 06, 2014, 12:07:50 PM »

Lol I haven't managed to stay in a job for longer than four years! I can't imagine doing the same job for that long.
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #357 on: July 06, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »

It's pretty crazy but also kind of awesome. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #358 on: July 06, 2014, 01:15:00 PM »

Yeah, it's fun to see them grow up!  My first class are driving and getting jobs now, so that'll be interesting when I start seeing them working around town.
~Julie

balance

• Innocent Bystander
« Reply #359 on: July 06, 2014, 02:08:27 PM »

It's pretty crazy but also kind of awesome. LOL

:)  It's never boring! 
Pammy Whammy
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 44