Fic Talk > General Discussion

Even newer questions to ponder

<< < (39/112) > >>

RokofAges75:
My most recent example is also slash.  I never used to be able to take slash seriously, but then I read one of Cinzia's short stories for the summer reading challenge back in 2013, and I enjoyed it.  It was well-written, and even though it was technically a slash, it wasn't overly sexual.  It was easy to overlook that aspect of it and appreciate a good Frick & Frack story.  That is actually what inspired me to seriously try writing a slash, which led to Unsuspecting Sunday and then Sick as My Secrets.  I read a few slash one-shots here and there while I was writing SAMS, mostly to get some inspiration for the sexy scenes LOL, but I can't say I read anything that stuck with me.  But now I'm reading Steph's new story Ever Since New York, which is the first slash novel I've ever read, and I have to say that I'm actually genuinely enjoying it.  In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have clicked on it if it wasn't written by a friend/favorite author, but I also wouldn't have stuck with it if I wasn't enjoying it.  The fact that it's an old-school Brian story helps!  Between reading these stories and writing my own, I've become a lot more open to slash and would read more in the future if the writing was good and the storyline appealed to me, just as with any story.

FrickingKaos:
It was because of Cinzia for me too funny enough. And I remember you reading my one shot Secrets Of The Heart and I was surprised cause I know you don't like to read slash. I am the same way. If it's well written I enjoy reading it.

RokofAges75:
Wish Cinzia would come back here and see what a trendsetter she is! LOL

Yes, there's another example of my newfound openness to slash LOL.  I don't think I'll ever turn into one of those people who only want to read and write slash, but I also won't pass over a story just because it has that label anymore.

One thing that I've found I really enjoy about slash is that it's a way to include romance without taking attention away from BSB by focusing too much on a female character.  I really enjoyed writing a novel that was just about the relationship between two Backstreet Boys, and I think that's why I'm in such a bromance phase, where most of my ideas focus on two of the Boys (just not in a romantic way).

FrickingKaos:
I think that's why I enjoy slash too. Although I do write regular romance as well, I feel like I enjoy slash a little more because I can focus on the boys and not the random female characters.

RokofAges75:
Yep.  Nothing against regular romance or random female characters; I enjoy those too, but it's kind of a relief to not have to worry about creating a believable, likable, well-rounded original character.  You still have to make the Boys well-rounded characters, but that's easier cause there's so much already fleshed out for you.  Then the challenge becomes making them sexually attracted to each other in a way that's believable LOL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version