Fic Talk > General Discussion

Even newer questions to ponder

<< < (40/112) > >>

FrickingKaos:
Yeah that is what I'm working on with my slash novel I've been trying around with. Want to make it believable but also it's set in the past for most of it.

usako:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on July 28, 2017, 10:52:42 PM ---My most recent example is also slash.  I never used to be able to take slash seriously, but then I read one of Cinzia's short stories for the summer reading challenge back in 2013, and I enjoyed it.  It was well-written, and even though it was technically a slash, it wasn't overly sexual.  It was easy to overlook that aspect of it and appreciate a good Frick & Frack story.  That is actually what inspired me to seriously try writing a slash, which led to Unsuspecting Sunday and then Sick as My Secrets.  I read a few slash one-shots here and there while I was writing SAMS, mostly to get some inspiration for the sexy scenes LOL, but I can't say I read anything that stuck with me.  But now I'm reading Steph's new story Ever Since New York, which is the first slash novel I've ever read, and I have to say that I'm actually genuinely enjoying it.  In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have clicked on it if it wasn't written by a friend/favorite author, but I also wouldn't have stuck with it if I wasn't enjoying it.  The fact that it's an old-school Brian story helps!  Between reading these stories and writing my own, I've become a lot more open to slash and would read more in the future if the writing was good and the storyline appealed to me, just as with any story.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: DelphinaCarter on July 28, 2017, 11:35:52 PM ---It was because of Cinzia for me too funny enough. And I remember you reading my one shot Secrets Of The Heart and I was surprised cause I know you don't like to read slash. I am the same way. If it's well written I enjoy reading it.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on July 29, 2017, 12:18:05 AM ---Wish Cinzia would come back here and see what a trendsetter she is! LOL

--- End quote ---

Thanks girls!!! *_*
But I just showed how good and amazing slash can be. lol Especially when it's Frick and Frack. lol

FrickingKaos:
Yay my Frick is here

mare:
Sorry to always be the Debbie Downer of this group but it's also nice hearing from someone who has pretty much quit the fanfic part of the fandom too, right? lo

That being said, I'm pretty sure I haven't really read a story outside my comfort zone that I enjoyed enough to make me a convert. I have had to read out of my comfort zone for challenges and judging for awards and although the writing had been stellar on some, I wouldn't ever really have a desire to read those particular genres again.

You guys know me though and pretty much since day one, I've always said the same thing about fan fiction. I know what I like so that's what I read. Fan fiction has always been my fast food of reading. I don't eat fast food very often at all but when I decide to, I go with what I know I like. In my case,  a chalupa from Taco Bell...yum! To waste my fast food experience on a Big Mac would be terrible! So I stick to what I know I like.

I do venture outside my comfort zone often for non fanfic reading and tv watching, just to try it. But BSB fanfic has always been all about those five boys to me. I've never really cared about random girls or their real life wives and I've never wanted to see them romantically involved with each other. It's their bromance I love without the mance part lol

I'm glad to see slash making a comeback to the fandom though because hopefully it'll bring some more people who loved it back to reading again. I remember when it was all slash all the time in the fandom.

Sakabelle:
Aw thanks for the love, Julie :) I'm going to give it right back haha.

The story I read out of my comfort zone was Broken. I read that back in like 2007 or something when you'd already finished it. It was clear that Nick was going to end up with cancer but I figured I'd give it a try anyway just because at that time I'd just come back into the fic world and was basically reading everything I could get my hands on that was finished, and that one was really long, and there was a Nick romance as a sequel. Though reading about one of the boys being terminally ill was really not something I was into, I ended up really enjoying it and I now count medical dramas as a genre I really like.

Tracy, you wrote that story about Nick and Brian in college a while ago. Finding Carter, I think it was called? I really liked that one too and before that I was not a fan of AU. AU kind of struck me as "what's the point?" before that, if they weren't going to be in the band then I might as well be reading a regular novel. That story showed me that the boys can still be themselves even if their job is different. I definitely won't shy away from AU now!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version