Fic Talk > General Discussion

Even newer questions to ponder

<< < (41/112) > >>

RokofAges75:
Aww, thanks!  I'm glad I made a medical drama convert out of you! :)

AU was the other "outside my comfort zone" genre I was thinking of.  I think the first story that really opened my eyes to how good AU could be was Between the Lines.  I had tried and failed to get into that story before because so many people had recommended it, but something made me finally stick with it - it may have been Mare's old fanfic group or maybe an awards I was judging, I don't remember.  I wasn't that big of a baseball fan at the time, and I didn't like AUs because I missed the Backstreet vibe, but once I got into that story, I LOVED it, and it's one of my favorite fanfics now.  So well-written and full of bromance!  Since then, I've been much more open to AU.  I enjoyed Finding Carter and some of Julilly's AUs like Satin and Silk, and I got into writing AUs like Song for the Undead and 00Carter.  I still prefer canon to AU, but just like with slash, I won't pass by a story just because it's AU anymore.

FrickingKaos:
Aw thanks ladies. Finding Carter was and still is one of my favorite stories I've ever written. These comments made my day.

I love writing AU because there's so much to play with. It's funny because I don't read a lot of it. I go for Canon stories more.

FrickingKaos:
So here's a question I thought of, what got everyone into writing fanfiction in the first place?

I don't exactly know when it was, I just know that in high school I carried notebooks around and wrote a lot between classes, during lunch, before school... I still have my notebooks too.

Sakabelle:
I think I've told this before, but I'll tell it again lol. I was on BSB websites in like 1998 or something, and I was cruising this one fansite that had a link called "Stories." I thought it was going to be stories about meeting the boys, so I clicked on it, but it was fanfic. Like, so many fanfic stories. Mostly Nick romance which was right up my alley LOL. After reading a whole bunch of them I decided to try writing my own.

I actually contacted the author of that site asking her to host my stuff (and she did!) but I didn't even know the concept of chapters or anything at that time. I was just writing in a word document and adding onto it as I went. So I asked her how people would know I'd updated and she was like "Just split it into chapters and send me new chapters as you write them!" And here we are.

Sakabelle:
I was digging through some old threads on here and I came across a question I thought would be interesting to ask again. When you get inspiration from a movie, a book or even another fanfic, how do you go about twisting that idea to make it your own?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version