Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (47/150) > >>

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 05, 2021, 01:59:08 PM ---I've watched just about all the live TV musicals they've done in the last few years, and the only one I thought was really good was Jesus Christ Superstar with John Legend.  I ended up buying the music from that, and I like it better than the original Broadway cast recording because it sounds more modern.

As far as movie versions of musicals go, my favorite is probably Grease.  But I've actually never seen Grease live on stage, unless you count the TV one they did with Vanessa Hudgens a few years ago.

--- End quote ---

Yo, that's because Jesus Christ Superstar slaps. My family was very into musicals when I was a child, like I have distinct memories of listening to "Red and Black" on our record player. The first live musical I ever went to was the touring production of Jesus Christ Superstar and it was mesmerizing. The second was Fiddler on the Roof... and I hated it so much. Now I know that it's great, heartfelt, and clever, but Andrew Lloyd Webber definitely has all other musical geniuses beat in the spectacle department. That's probably why his are consistently popular years and years after their release.

I love Grease too. And the sequel, but for different reasons than the original. Mainly, the songs are great in a cheesy way.

OMG, speaking of Andrew Lloyd Webber, the Cats Movie. I went to one of the "chat along" showings at Alamo Drafthouse with some friends, all clad in cat ears because we loved the musical (and one friend loved the movie for the hilarity of it all). The people in front of us were so mad at us because we were just singing along, clapping for our favorite cats and they said "Don't clap at this movie." (because it's terrible was the implication more than noise, because they were also chatting during it.) And we basically told them, "Hate if you want, we're going to enjoy. We all came to the audible react-along version for a reason. If you wanted to only have your opinion heard out loud, then you should I have been that guy in a regular screening."

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 05, 2021, 02:47:51 PM ---That is so cute!!  I love that.

--- End quote ---

It was very serendipitous that it came out during our engagement because I fell in love the minute I heard it, since we'd always said some similar things about our being able to meet. That and it just slaps. Had we gotten married before it came out, I would have still chosen a BSB song, and likely ALAYLM, AIHTG, or maybe SPTH... but the timing was perfect! What are the chances BSB knew I needed a song like that in my life right then? haha. They've been there for me through most of my life, so I don't think I could imagine picking anything else, to be honest.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: mare on January 05, 2021, 03:19:27 PM ---I agree about Jesus Christ Superstar. I have skipped pretty much all the other NBC live musicals. I watched Peter Pan but wasn’t really impressed. I think I’m the only person on the planet that’s not a huge fan of Grease. Maybe it’s ptsd from not even getting into the chorus of it in my high school production because my drama teacher thought I was too fat to be a lead or any of the dancing. lol what a jerk he was.

--- End quote ---

Ugh, I hate people like that, but especially people who have jobs in helping professions (e.g., teachers, counselors, etcetera). Like in no way should you let your biases affect your students!

You're my shining star, Mare. (but not in the same exact way as the BSB song, just want you to know... I'll see myself out.)

nicksgal:
OMG, now my inspiration station is complete with my cup of morning coffee. My inlaws were asking my husband what I wanted for Christmas and he said "a private Backstreet Boys performance" as this was deep in the Masked Singer season at the time. I just received this today (https://ibb.co/KjrGFQh and https://ibb.co/7Vg0250)! Their hair and the jackets! This pleases me very nostalgically. I for sure had this picture on my wall and loved it even though their style game was not on point.

RokofAges75:
Love the mug!  So cute!

The timing of Chances worked out perfectly!  It was the same for me; it came out a days before my grandpa passed away, so it was the only bright spot in an otherwise really bad week.  Thank you, Boys.

So did you like the Cats movie?  I have never seen Cats (movie or stage production), but the trailer was creepy LOL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version