Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (11/150) > >>

RokofAges75:
LOL I've definitely spent hours going down the nostalgia rabbit hole of reading old threads here.  It's fun though.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on December 31, 2020, 04:23:15 PM ---YES! Anything with other people's bodies, really. I would be the worst doctor. But then I sit over here writing "Blood! Blood! Blood! Let's talk about how it smells!" I think I compared Nick to steak once and couldn't think of anything better to say, so I left it, haha.

--- End quote ---

LOL!  Yeah, same...  I think I would have gone into healthcare in some capacity if I wasn't a teacher, but I honestly don't know that I have the stomach to be a doctor or nurse (especially nurse).  It's not the sight of blood and gore that would bother me; it would be the smells.  I have a pretty sensitive gag reflex when it comes to bad smells.  I have to hold my breath in public restrooms sometimes to avoid gagging so hard it brings tears to my eyes, so I'm not sure how I would do dealing with the various disgusting odors the human body can create.  But then some days I watch Dr. Pimple Popper and think I missed my calling and should have become a dermatologist, cause her job looks so satisfying LOL.  Gross, but satisfying.

RokofAges75:
Does anyone have any writing-related resolutions this year?

I'm not a resolution person, but I did make a resolution to write every day in both 2017 and 2018.  That worked out well for me in 2017 and not at all in 2018.  I don't think I bothered with it the last two years, but 2019 and 2020 were both great writing years for me.  So this year, I will just say I want to keep writing regularly.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 01, 2021, 01:00:51 AM ---LOL I've definitely spent hours going down the nostalgia rabbit hole of reading old threads here.  It's fun though.
--- End quote ---

I think it was the first version of this type of thread back when we were all starting to get to know each other and it went on for pages... I spent half the time saying "so insightful, everyone here is a true master of their craft", then probably a quarter of it saying "our inside jokes just ran rampant, yeesh," then the other quarter saying "I sounded so stupid, omg."

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 01, 2021, 01:00:51 AM ---LOL!  Yeah, same...  I think I would have gone into healthcare in some capacity if I wasn't a teacher, but I honestly don't know that I have the stomach to be a doctor or nurse (especially nurse).  It's not the sight of blood and gore that would bother me; it would be the smells.  I have a pretty sensitive gag reflex when it comes to bad smells.  I have to hold my breath in public restrooms sometimes to avoid gagging so hard it brings tears to my eyes, so I'm not sure how I would do dealing with the various disgusting odors the human body can create.  But then some days I watch Dr. Pimple Popper and think I missed my calling and should have become a dermatologist, cause her job looks so satisfying LOL.  Gross, but satisfying.

--- End quote ---

You know, I used to also and then once I started teaching Pre-K, I was like "I can handle anything! Every bodily fluid you all have!" so maybe now I could be a health care professional. My best friend is a wonderful nurse, and we're constantly telling each other "you're amazing, but I could never do what you do." She's really held me up during all this and vice versa.

Do dermatologists have as many weird smells comparatively? If not, maybe you did miss your calling! I have no idea what I would have done if I didn't end up teaching. I think I was really lost until I figured that out. On winter break right now though, stay at home wife/professional volunteer seems like a pretty cushy gig, but I feel like I would get bored within a month.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 01, 2021, 10:27:01 AM ---Does anyone have any writing-related resolutions this year?

I'm not a resolution person, but I did make a resolution to write every day in both 2017 and 2018.  That worked out well for me in 2017 and not at all in 2018.  I don't think I bothered with it the last two years, but 2019 and 2020 were both great writing years for me.  So this year, I will just say I want to keep writing regularly.

--- End quote ---

Oh man, I am not a resolution person at all. I used to blog right after I graduated college as everyone did in the new 10's. I eventually stopped doing it because I would try to post something every day (gee, sounds familiar) and the only things I really had fun posting were when I told old stories about things that had happened to me that were a mix of memoir and a mix of "this is a scene from a novel" (see: lost, missed writing). But, one post I had fun doing every year was something I called "X Things Before X" where the "X" was however old I would be on my next birthday. I figured, since my birthday was so close to the new year anyway and I was terrible at keeping resolutions, I would just make a list of things I thought would be fun to do before my next birthday. And it ran the gambit from "try skiing" to "watch Titanic X more times so you'll have spent a month of your life watching it" to "visit four new states," etcetera. And it actually motivated me to try to do some things on the days I felt listless or actively seek out adventures. It got harder to come up with things as the years went on (I don't think I could come up with 34 things now for this year), but I still did it for a few years even after I ultimately stopped blogging (no one read it anyway, so no real loss when I was no longer enjoying it).

Writing goals this year? I'm not sure that I could commit to writing something 365 days in a row, 30 was fun, but I just don't think I could keep up the pace. Though if we're counting editing (which I have been), I'm up to 61 in a row now, so maybe I could? If I really tried... But I feel like that's a lot to commit to right now. Especially after only really editing for a month.

I think my writing goals are:
1. Finish this massive editing project that is PBox a decade later.
2. Maybe finish writing PNecklace this year. Only 28 chapters to go and 32 pages of interesting tidbits to put in the right spots! Which feels like another 4-7 chapters based on what they're about... Seems doable? Especially since I have updates covered through May, so it feels less stressful than posting a thing I had then having nothing until I write the next one.

I could probably do another month of writing every day some time this summer (the hustle and bustle of November is fun, but kind of an odd time of year), so if anyone else was interested in doing a "Camp NaNo" type thing together, I think they do it in April and July? I'd be happy to organize if that's up anyone else's alley.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 01, 2021, 01:04:10 PM ---I think it was the first version of this type of thread back when we were all starting to get to know each other and it went on for pages... I spent half the time saying "so insightful, everyone here is a true master of their craft", then probably a quarter of it saying "our inside jokes just ran rampant, yeesh," then the other quarter saying "I sounded so stupid, omg."

You know, I used to also and then once I started teaching Pre-K, I was like "I can handle anything! Every bodily fluid you all have!" so maybe now I could be a health care professional. My best friend is a wonderful nurse, and we're constantly telling each other "you're amazing, but I could never do what you do." She's really held me up during all this and vice versa.

Do dermatologists have as many weird smells comparatively? If not, maybe you did miss your calling! I have no idea what I would have done if I didn't end up teaching. I think I was really lost until I figured that out. On winter break right now though, stay at home wife/professional volunteer seems like a pretty cushy gig, but I feel like I would get bored within a month.

--- End quote ---

LOL I know, sometimes I cringe at those old threads where we hijacked the topics with side conversations and think how obnoxious we all were, myself included.  I may still be obnoxious, but I'd like to think I'm less so now that I'm older LOL.

That is true - teaching children builds up your tolerance to puke, snot, blood, and other bodily fluids.  Especially in Pre-K, I'm sure!  I have had students have "accidents" at school, but it's not as common in 4th grade as I'm sure it is in preschool.

I'm sure dermatologists get their fair share of bad smells.  There's a lot of pus on Dr. Pimple Popper, and that can't smell great.  I bet healthcare workers get desensitized pretty quickly though.  God bless them for the work they do, especially this past year!  I think I made the right choice with teaching.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version