Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (105/150) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 15, 2021, 10:25:17 PM ---Anyone besides Julie and I have a long weekend that they're hoping to use for writing?

Here's another one, describe what you've got going on writing-wise in five words or less, but cryptically. Like I couldn't say "I'm editing PBox" and Julie can't say "Bethlehem."

Here's a writing quote for the weekend:

"Never write anything that does not give you great pleasure. Emotion is easily transferred from the writer to the reader." -- Joseph Joubert

--- End quote ---

Weekend goal: Finish Chapter 20.

I love this quote!  I just watched another one of Alexa's videos, "What Fanfic Can Teach You About Writing" (https://youtu.be/gG-LpRqIlYM), and one of the things she talks about is how fanfic helps you figure out what tropes readers like to read.  For the most part, I write what I like to read and hope there are others out there who will like reading it too.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 15, 2021, 10:35:50 PM ---Weekend goal: Finish Chapter 20.

I love this quote!  I just watched another one of Alexa's videos, "What Fanfic Can Teach You About Writing" (https://youtu.be/gG-LpRqIlYM), and one of the things she talks about is how fanfic helps you figure out what tropes readers like to read.  For the most part, I write what I like to read and hope there are others out there who will like reading it too.

--- End quote ---

Editing my favorite, oh noes!

I didn't watch that one yet, but I loved when she brought up tropes in the fanfic to pro one. I think it's true, fanfic writers have a real handle on tropes. Which is great, because I love them.

Same, I write things I would like to read (and things Nick wants me to write), so I have at least two fans for sure, haha.

nicksgal:
I guess that's a writing related question that I think I posted in the wrong place originally... What are everyone's favorite tropes?

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 15, 2021, 10:48:12 PM ---I guess that's a writing related question that I think I posted in the wrong place originally... What are everyone's favorite tropes?

--- End quote ---

I'm a sucker for hurt/comfort stories!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 15, 2021, 11:50:10 PM ---I'm a sucker for hurt/comfort stories!

--- End quote ---

Any reason in particular? Other than the squees of the hurt one being comforted?

I've mentioned my love of Band of Brothers/Family of Choice/True Companions many times.

I'm also a sucker for "The Power of Friendship" because I just love characters that know they're stronger together (see: Band of Brothers/Family of Choice/True Companions above).

You can also always get me with a Bright Lady/White Knight dynamic and I am also a sucker for Magical Girl stories no matter the intended age demographic, but that does not really apply to the Boys... Although PBox might be a Magical Boy story?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version