Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread

<< < (106/150) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:02:31 AM ---Any reason in particular? Other than the squees of the hurt one being comforted?

I've mentioned my love of Band of Brothers/Family of Choice/True Companions many times.

I'm also a sucker for "The Power of Friendship" because I just love characters that know they're stronger together (see: Band of Brothers/Family of Choice/True Companions above).

--- End quote ---

I love all these ones you mentioned too.  I bet most BSB authors who write group stories do; that brotherly relationship is one of the things we all love about the Boys, right?

As for hurt/comfort, I think it just goes with my lifelong love of medical drama.  I was reading fiction about hospitals and diseases and whatnot well before I discovered fanfic.  Then I found fanfic at a time when Brian heart problem stories were all the rage, so I read a lot of those (as well as bus crash stories and all the rest) and eventually started writing them too.  I've done romantic hurt/comfort, but I also like just having the other boys be there for the one who's hurt or sick.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 16, 2021, 12:13:04 AM ---I love all these ones you mentioned too.  I bet most BSB authors who write group stories do; that brotherly relationship is one of the things we all love about the Boys, right?
--- End quote ---

Definitely. If anything they're the reason I love those ones so much in general, maybe in the back of my mind, I'm like "the characters from x are just like the Boys right now," haha.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 16, 2021, 12:13:04 AM ---As for hurt/comfort, I think it just goes with my lifelong love of medical drama.  I was reading fiction about hospitals and diseases and whatnot well before I discovered fanfic.  Then I found fanfic at a time when Brian heart problem stories were all the rage, so I read a lot of those (as well as bus crash stories and all the rest) and eventually started writing them too.  I've done romantic hurt/comfort, but I also like just having the other boys be there for the one who's hurt or sick.
--- End quote ---

It's crazy to think of a time when the medical drama was mostly focused on a real life medical issue Brian had instead of "spin the wheel of possible diseases for Nick" ("Herpes? That's too normal." *spins again* "Ooh, flesh eating bacteria!"). I miss the good old bus crash stories. It always felt like anything could happen after a bus crash.

You're assuming I don't also squee when the Boys comfort one of them when they're hurt or sick without any romantic connotations. It's not quite the same thing, and I know Mare used to make fun of it/would make fun of me now, but I always enjoyed when Kevin carried Nick up stairs or whatever.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:23:22 AM ---It's crazy to think of a time when the medical drama was mostly focused on a real life medical issue Brian had instead of "spin the wheel of possible diseases for Nick" ("Herpes? That's too normal." *spins again* "Ooh, flesh eating bacteria!"). I miss the good old bus crash stories. It always felt like anything could happen after a bus crash.

--- End quote ---

You've been spying on me again, haven't you?  How else would you know I had herpes and flesh-eating bacteria on my Nick Wheel of Misfortune?

I'm sure the Sick Nick stories were around then too, but being a Brian teenybopper whose least favorite Backstreet Boy was Nick, I only read stuff about Brian or Brian and the group.  Like bus crash stories!

The ER crossover I finished last year was an old-school bus (technically van) crash story set in 1995, and it was such a fun throwback.  I hadn't written one of those since 2000.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on January 16, 2021, 12:23:22 AM ---You're assuming I don't also squee when the Boys comfort one of them when they're hurt or sick without any romantic connotations. It's not quite the same thing, and I know Mare used to make fun of it/would make fun of me now, but I always enjoyed when Kevin carried Nick up stairs or whatever.

--- End quote ---

Not at all!  I was just saying I personally enjoy both.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 16, 2021, 12:35:34 AM ---You've been spying on me again, haven't you?  How else would you know I had herpes and flesh-eating bacteria on my Nick Wheel of Misfortune?
--- End quote ---

Hahahaha! Well, I figured after leg choppage and zombie viruses you could either go completely mundane or continue down the less common medical issues path. How common are flesh eating bacteria? I'm actually not sure!

I wish I still had my tiny wheel, then I would write these on it for the full laugh.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 16, 2021, 12:35:34 AM ---I'm sure the Sick Nick stories were around then too, but being a Brian teenybopper whose least favorite Backstreet Boy was Nick, I only read stuff about Brian or Brian and the group.  Like bus crash stories!

The ER crossover I finished last year was an old-school bus (technically van) crash story set in 1995, and it was such a fun throwback.  I hadn't written one of those since 2000.
--- End quote ---

Think there are Sick Howie or Sick Kevin stories? I'm sure Sick AJ has to exist...

A medical drama and a bus crash? How did it feel to go back to your roots?

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on January 16, 2021, 12:35:34 AM ---Not at all!  I was just saying I personally enjoy both.

--- End quote ---

All the squees here too. Though I prefer my problems on the emotional side over the medical for hurt/comfort. This one is broken and being cared about helps fix them and makes it so they start personing again. Aww.

FrickingKaos:
I love stories where the guys are kidnapped, whether it's one or all of them. I like hurt /comfort stories.

I especially love stories set back in the day when they were younger. Old school stuff.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version