Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (21/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 15, 2021, 10:32:07 PM ---I am so excited. It's a four day weekend! I knew I had it in me eventually. I'm hoping I can as well. I'm trying to keep my sleep schedule fairly consistent, but I'm honestly wide awake, so I may just keep writing until I can't or it hits midnight or something. Tomorrow's schedule is a little writing, a little of my volunteer stuff, some coffee, and paper shredding, lol. Today I deep cleaned the bathrooms, so I deserve some writing time.

I don't mind splicing, but it's usually a "I wrote part of this scene already and now we're here." Then I type over it in suggest mode as I see fit until it goes with the rest of what's there. Suggest mode is my favorite, but the walls of green are something else after a while. I think this one might be a little harder because I have a "here's what happened" version and "here's Nick saying 'here's what happened' as everyone reacts" version. There's good in both, it's just putting them together in the right way, because I don't think it warrants both a "here's what happened" chapter and a "everyone reacts" chapter. Not sure what this is yet! I may have to reread both of them first, then decide.

--- End quote ---

You definitely deserved some writing time after deep cleaning your bathrooms!  I hope you got some writing done today too, in between volunteering and paper shredding.

I have never really used suggesting mode for fanfic because I feel like the walls of green would bother me, but it's worth a shot sometime.  I can't wait until I can safely delete the copy I made of the original version of My Brother's Keeper when I went back to revise/rewrite some of it.  I'm past the point I was in that version, plotwise, but I keep finding new places to put some of the little snippets of dialogue or description I liked in the first version.  It is nice not to have to rewrite everything from scratch, but I don't like to have multiple versions of the same story junking up my folders.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 15, 2021, 10:32:07 PM ---Woah! Go, Julie, go! I'm sending good vibes to your inspiration! Now was just the right time to write this one!

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Apparently so!  I wrote before school again this morning and am hoping to write more tonight.  I'm almost done with Chapter 9, but then I have to go back and write Chapter 8, which I skipped because the scene I'm working on now was originally tacked onto Chapter 7 until it got too long.  So I wrote two Kevin chapters in a row, and next I'll go back and write two Nick ones.  And that will put me through Chapter 10, so if this writing streak continues, I'll be ready to start posting this thing in April.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: mare on March 16, 2021, 10:56:37 AM ---Next up is probably a John Grisham novel I haven’t read yet. I think it’s called The Partner? I’ve read his newer stuff but never read much of his older stuff.
--- End quote ---

I didn't think I've actually ever read one of his novels! Then I looked it up and none of the covers for the books looked familiar, but the film posters did. So, apparently, I have seen a bunch of movies based on his novels without reading them, lol.

Which one that you've read did you like best?

--- Quote from: mare on March 16, 2021, 10:56:37 AM ---I missed the where I read question. I always had a book with me at school in case of last minute assemblies or class no shows. I usually bring a book with me wherever I go, like my Dr. Appt. tomorrow, but if it’s too loud I can’t concentrate on what I’m reading. I prefer reading at home, especially when the weather is warm enough for me to sit outside.

--- End quote ---

Mare! Reading during assemblies! Shame. Kidding. ;) I like reading outside too (or at the pool). It's not as bad with a book because you can still wear sunglasses. :)

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 16, 2021, 05:37:28 PM ---I can read in public places if I have to (like in waiting rooms or airports), but I prefer to read at home.  I do read at work sometimes, but only children's books or professional texts.

--- End quote ---

I do most of my reading on airplanes these days. That's probably why I feel like I haven't read anything in a while, lol. I don't really read at work either, but I always see other teachers reading on their lunches, so I was curious if you were a work reader or not (and also if Mare was, really).

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 16, 2021, 05:37:28 PM ---Yeah, that sounds more my speed.  I don't like having a lot of requirements for something that's supposed to be fun.  I could probably churn out 50,000 in June or July with the right story, but not in any other month.  Count me in for the Camp Nano!
--- End quote ---

Wahoo! Everyone who's interested in joining me for a little craziness, go to nanowrimo.org and click "sign up" if you don't already have an account. Then everyone tell me your usernames and I will invite you to "The Absolutely Chaotic Backstreet Project" writing group. :)

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 16, 2021, 05:43:43 PM ---Not everything needs to be an epic, as I'm learning LOL.
--- End quote ---

Psh! Shhh! ;)

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 16, 2021, 06:03:40 PM ---You definitely deserved some writing time after deep cleaning your bathrooms!  I hope you got some writing done today too, in between volunteering and paper shredding.
--- End quote ---

I ended up shredding zero papers today, lol. Next time. But I did get a lot of writing done! I successfully spliced the two chapters and still ended up writing 1,700 new words for the chapter, including two times where I actually laughed out loud while writing, which I didn't know this was a chapter for jokes, but apparently it was.

And we can all play another addition of "Which Backstreet Boy is being discussed?" Hooray!:

“Clueless, unpredictable, and impulsive! At least something always gets done!”

I also get to add more kinky tags to this epic story at some point in the future as I constantly write ahead. I assume there's got to be some kind of tag for "kinky claiming by supernatural beings," no? lol I'm a horrible person because I'm sure most of those tags are meant legitimately and I never intend for anything to be kinky and just like to joke.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 16, 2021, 06:03:40 PM ---I have never really used suggesting mode for fanfic because I feel like the walls of green would bother me, but it's worth a shot sometime.  I can't wait until I can safely delete the copy I made of the original version of My Brother's Keeper when I went back to revise/rewrite some of it.  I'm past the point I was in that version, plotwise, but I keep finding new places to put some of the little snippets of dialogue or description I liked in the first version.  It is nice not to have to rewrite everything from scratch, but I don't like to have multiple versions of the same story junking up my folders.
--- End quote ---

I have so many versions of all of these at this point that it is what it is, haha. I try to limit the walls of green text to one chapter at a time, then track the new words, then accept the changes so it's not always walls and walls of green text. I think it's fun to have a "complete old version" copy, then you can see how much has changed. :) It's why I still have my circa 2008 version of PBox even though I updated it on the site.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 16, 2021, 06:03:40 PM ---Thanks!  Apparently so!  I wrote before school again this morning and am hoping to write more tonight.  I'm almost done with Chapter 9, but then I have to go back and write Chapter 8, which I skipped because the scene I'm working on now was originally tacked onto Chapter 7 until it got too long.  So I wrote two Kevin chapters in a row, and next I'll go back and write two Nick ones.  And that will put me through Chapter 10, so if this writing streak continues, I'll be ready to start posting this thing in April.

--- End quote ---

April is so soon! I'm excited for you; you're getting a lot done! Are you changing over to two chapters for Nick and two chapters for Kevin or just this time because of the length?

mare:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 16, 2021, 08:14:11 PM ---I didn't think I've actually ever read one of his novels! Then I looked it up and none of the covers for the books looked familiar, but the film posters did. So, apparently, I have seen a bunch of movies based on his novels without reading them, lol.

Which one that you've read did you like best?

Mare! Reading during assemblies! Shame. Kidding. ;) I like reading outside too (or at the pool). It's not as bad with a book because you can still wear sunglasses. :)

I do most of my reading on airplanes these days. That's probably why I feel like I haven't read anything in a while, lol. I don't really read at work either, but I always see other teachers reading on their lunches, so I was curious if you were a work reader or not (and also if Mare was, really).

--- End quote ---

Only the assemblies I did not have to attend lol which was most of them.

Favorite a John Grisham novels are Callico Joe and The Guardians. I just finished Slaughterhouse Five so I’ll be starting The Partner tomorrow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version