Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (23/149) > >>

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 17, 2021, 04:44:10 PM ---Done!  I'm RokofAges75.
--- End quote ---

Hooray! Invite sent!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 17, 2021, 04:44:10 PM ---I'm glad you got a lot of writing done!  That is more satisfying than shredding papers.

I guess Nick!

--- End quote ---

Some day I will finish shredding my old phone bills, haha. It was more satisfying.

It is Nick. And he is fine with it because he said something to the effect of "I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing" directly prior.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 17, 2021, 04:44:10 PM ---That is smart to go one chapter at a time.  I don't like having multiple versions of a story and typically delete the old ones after I don't need them anymore, but that is for works in progress.  I do think if I ever went back and rewrote a finished story that was already posted, I would save the original version.  Although I didn't do that for Code Blue, so maybe not.  (But Code Blue also wasn't finished.)
--- End quote ---

I think I'd save whatever I had for me depending on the level of rewriting. I have three different version of PBox right now, so I'm just rolling with it, haha.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 17, 2021, 04:44:10 PM ---No, I'm still switching back and forth between their POVs every chapter, but I ended up splitting the two scenes I had written for Chapter 7 into two separate chapters, which would make the other one Chapter 9, since they're both from Kevin's POV.  That means I have to go back and write Chapter 8, which will come between them and be from Nick's POV.

--- End quote ---

Oh that makes sense! Whose chapters spill on to the page easier or is it about the same?

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 17, 2021, 08:38:59 PM ---Hooray! Invite sent!

--- End quote ---

Thanks!  Accepted!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 17, 2021, 08:38:59 PM ---Oh that makes sense! Whose chapters spill on to the page easier or is it about the same?

--- End quote ---

I guess it's been about the same.  Kevin's chapters have been more research-intensive, which slows me down some, but they've been interesting to write.  A Nick chapter is where I got stuck on this story the first time around, and his chapters are the ones I've been splicing, rewriting, and piecing back together.  But the new Nick parts I've written from scratch have flowed pretty well.  I'll be writing a lot of Nick this weekend, so we'll see!

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 18, 2021, 06:39:17 PM ---Thanks!  Accepted!
--- End quote ---

Hope a bunch of the rest of you join this adventure! Especially if you're writing anyway.  :biggrin:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 18, 2021, 06:39:17 PM ---I guess it's been about the same.  Kevin's chapters have been more research-intensive, which slows me down some, but they've been interesting to write.  A Nick chapter is where I got stuck on this story the first time around, and his chapters are the ones I've been splicing, rewriting, and piecing back together.  But the new Nick parts I've written from scratch have flowed pretty well.  I'll be writing a lot of Nick this weekend, so we'll see!

--- End quote ---

Harder to keep track of Kevin's whereabouts via memory in the Unbreakable-era, haha. I wonder if you got stuck before because Nick had some tiny hot mess stuff going on 3-4 years ago. Like a "oh no, it's back" type thing. Glad they've all been flowing well though! Did you spend most of yesterday writing or did you finally catch up on your shows?

I've been going through my OF edit the past couple of days and adding a chapter that probably should have been there in the beginning and I have been dilly-dallying because I keep thinking "Nick was such a wreck in the beginning of this. It's been so long since we've been here (editing aside), that I'd forgotten!" I'm all over the place. I should really focus on my two other writing commitments, haha. Yet, I've got nothing to do since my husband is out of town, so I just sit here click clacking away.

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 18, 2021, 07:08:53 PM ---Harder to keep track of Kevin's whereabouts via memory in the Unbreakable-era, haha. I wonder if you got stuck before because Nick had some tiny hot mess stuff going on 3-4 years ago. Like a "oh no, it's back" type thing. Glad they've all been flowing well though! Did you spend most of yesterday writing or did you finally catch up on your shows?

--- End quote ---

LOL Yeah, Kevin kinda just disappeared during that era.  Nah, I didn't think my Nick struggles had anything to do with Nick himself.  It was more finding myself in a Nick chapter that would never end and realizing I needed to change the order of some events to be able to switch back to Kevin's perspective in the next chapter.  That's what got me stuck in the first place, and then life happened.  I took an extended break and then came back and wrote A Heart That Isn't Mine instead of getting myself unstuck on this one.  No regrets about that because I think I needed to get the idea for AHTIM out of my head before I could concentrate on something else.  I always felt pretty confident I would come back to this one when the time was right, and I guess that time is now.  I wrote before school again yesterday (and today!), but I was so tired last night, I actually watched The Masked Singer live and went to bed right after.  I still haven't watched this week's Walking Dead!

--- Quote from: nicksgal on March 18, 2021, 07:08:53 PM ---I've been going through my OF edit the past couple of days and adding a chapter that probably should have been there in the beginning and I have been dilly-dallying because I keep thinking "Nick was such a wreck in the beginning of this. It's been so long since we've been here (editing aside), that I'd forgotten!" I'm all over the place. I should really focus on my two other writing commitments, haha. Yet, I've got nothing to do since my husband is out of town, so I just sit here click clacking away.

--- End quote ---

Is it hard to get back into your characters' heads when it's been that long and you're hopping from story to story?  I would probably need to do a lot of rereading.

Hey, as long as you're working on some writing project, that's all that matters.  I get the frustration of feeling like you're all over the place though.  I hate feeling that way.  I hope you can refocus and take advantage of the quiet time while your husband's away.

It occurred to me earlier this week that April Fool's Day is in two weeks and, as usual, I have nothing planned or started.  I know we talked about pranks in one of these threads a while back, so I went looking to see what fantastic ideas you all came up with for me.  I think I've got a fun one now, but it's going to require some writing, and I'm like, "Ugh... I just wanna keep writing what I've been writing and not get derailed writing something dumb for a joke that no one else will even appreciate."  Hopefully I'll have a little more motivation this weekend when I'm not so tired.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 18, 2021, 07:29:16 PM ---LOL Yeah, Kevin kinda just disappeared during that era.  Nah, I didn't think my Nick struggles had anything to do with Nick himself.  It was more finding myself in a Nick chapter that would never end and realizing I needed to change the order of some events to be able to switch back to Kevin's perspective in the next chapter.  That's what got me stuck in the first place, and then life happened.  I took an extended break and then came back and wrote A Heart That Isn't Mine instead of getting myself unstuck on this one.  No regrets about that because I think I needed to get the idea for AHTIM out of my head before I could concentrate on something else.  I always felt pretty confident I would come back to this one when the time was right, and I guess that time is now.  I wrote before school again yesterday (and today!), but I was so tired last night, I actually watched The Masked Singer live and went to bed right after.  I still haven't watched this week's Walking Dead!
--- End quote ---

I think Nick's preference is to have his chapters never end! At least for me, haha! He just demands to be the center of attention.

I always hate when I get something written and then after the fact think that the order needs to be shuffled. It's always a headache, so I feel you. AHTIM sounds like another pushy idea. How many of your stories would you say were pushy ideas when they started?

You're really on a roll! That's every day this week so far, isn't it? I'm surprised you still haven't watched Walking Dead! That's commitment to writing. I watched Masked Singer live (as usual, and laughed so hard at "pork grind," I have the worst taste in jokes.), then said to my little group chat that I had to go write. It helps that Masked Singer is a 7pm show here.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 18, 2021, 07:29:16 PM ---Is it hard to get back into your characters' heads when it's been that long and you're hopping from story to story?  I would probably need to do a lot of rereading.
--- End quote ---

You know, it's not too bad since it's the same characters at different points in the story; I did let Snail drop off a bit because of it, though. I feel like I can comfortably hop back and forth between the whole PBox series, within reason, but probably not the whole of PBox plus Snail... Maybe I'll feel better once I get this "new in an old part of the story" chapter written, because then the rest is back to hacking and slashing something that exists on paper instead of only in my head. I mostly just realized it had been a month since I'd given my non-BSB test audience anything to look over for me, so I figured I should get back to work, especially since I was writing from scratch. And then it came up in PNecklace in passing, so it seemed like the right time to commit backstory to paper. I think most of what throws me is that PBox Nick now is very different from PBox Nick at the beginning. He's done so much character developing, good for him. *sniff* :D

Mood listening has actually helped a lot. When I know that I'm focusing on PNecklace and it's fairly Nick focused, I've been listening to a lot of I'm Taking Off (especially during my commute, but sometimes quietly in the background if I want some ambient sounds and the tv is too distracting). When I'm focusing back on PBox and it's fairly Nick focused (as the first few chapters I'm currently in are), I listen to a lot of Now or Never. Guess that means I'll be enjoying a lot of All American for the next one, lol. When I did the big PBox edit, I did find myself gravitating to BSB songs pre-2008 as well when I was in shuffle mode (unless one of my favorites off a later album came on). My years of playing all my favorite songs on repeat non-stop have prepared me for listening to one CD for six months! No regrets! (I'm mostly kidding.) I do miss the other Boys after only listening to Nick for a while, haha. And sometimes I've gotta mix it up in general.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 18, 2021, 07:29:16 PM ---Hey, as long as you're working on some writing project, that's all that matters.  I get the frustration of feeling like you're all over the place though.  I hate feeling that way.  I hope you can refocus and take advantage of the quiet time while your husband's away.
--- End quote ---

It's my fault for listening to Nick and writing what's interesting instead of writing what's in order, haha. I think I'm almost done with this chapter though and then I can let OFPBox sit and percolate for a while. It's a perfect writing week, really! A weekend, two snow days, and then no husband around and another weekend. March Madness may get me though.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on March 18, 2021, 07:29:16 PM ---It occurred to me earlier this week that April Fool's Day is in two weeks and, as usual, I have nothing planned or started.  I know we talked about pranks in one of these threads a while back, so I went looking to see what fantastic ideas you all came up with for me.  I think I've got a fun one now, but it's going to require some writing, and I'm like, "Ugh... I just wanna keep writing what I've been writing and not get derailed writing something dumb for a joke that no one else will even appreciate."  Hopefully I'll have a little more motivation this weekend when I'm not so tired.

--- End quote ---

I'd be impressed if you did have something planned out that far in advance! Pansting is appropriate for April Fool's!

Just make your site a 404 error, lol. The joke is that there are no jokes and also no fanfics. And then you can keep writing and working hard on Nick and Kevin, especially if you think you might be able to start posting next month! :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version