Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (73/149) > >>

mare:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 11, 2021, 09:01:41 PM ---Were you always a morning person, Mare, or did you become one? Teach me your ways if it's the second one, lol. I need a million alarms to wake up or I'm asleep until some time between 8am and 11am and never know which one it will be.

I believe it was all the time and you were always surprised that we were all still up. At least for Rose and I, it was slightly earlier, closer to 2/3am and not Julie's 4am! Except for the few times when we were all up until it his 9am the next morning. Those were wild nights, lol.

This is all me except for that Sonic Bomb. My last effort alarm clock is my husband saying "your alarm went off again." And that doesn't always work. I can only fall asleep at 8pm if I'm absolutely dying. I don't even know what my natural circadian rhythm is because I inevitably end up thinking I'm tired, then lay awake in bed for hours.

These are all good points.

Also, what does everyone think, is it easier to write in an emotional headspace (sad, angry, whatever) when you're feeling that way yourself or more difficult?

This is why I try to avoid dead animal books, I'm always sobbing. Where the Red Fern Grows destroyed me in fifth grade. I even cry at sad animal commercials, or happy animal commercials. Really, if there's an animal in it, I'm crying. Even if they're cute dogs wearing bow ties. It's ridiculous.

Also, yes, Beth dying gets me every time. Even though I know it's coming!

But the Russian Doll being multiple people has given me hope that the Boys could all be on it together some day. They have some sort of costume, unmask them, and it's Nick in the crocodile suit, lol.

Being present for confrontations isn't my favorite either. Ugh, blurry Brian. I'd completely forgotten about that until it came up last time.

When was Kevin a complete mess? When he left? He's the only one I can't see being a complete hot mess.

How could you be a fan of boy next door Brian if you think he's a jerk? lol

--- End quote ---

I was always a morning person, even as a kid. I do tend to try to go to bed by 10 but it seldom works.

I think it’s easier to write emotional scenes when you can relate to the scene your writing. I tried to put myself into that situation mentally and it tended to flow pretty easily.

Those Russian Dolls sound like Hanson to me. I don’t hear a female voice at all! And I really can’t see the boys ever doing that together and I hope AJ isn’t the next one to do it. It’ll be like it’s always AJ going for Nick’s sloppy seconds.

I’m sure Kevin has been a complete mess at some point. Just because it doesn’t happen in public, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. And I was never a fan of boy next door Brian because I’ve never really been a fan of Brian lol

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:47:44 AM ---Wow! We are totally opposite! My sister is more like you. Her alarm goes off about ten times before she usually gets up and the level of loudness and noise varies depending on how late it’s getting. No matter how early or late I go to bed, I’m at early. I always wake up around 3 then it’s a waiting game until I get myself totally up. I sleep about 3 to 4 hours a night if I’m lucky. That’s with taking zzz quill. My sleep patterns also suck!

--- End quote ---

LOL Yes we are.  I had a terrible night's sleep last night... probably because I slept in too late yesterday and then stayed up too late writing and talking to you all, then couldn't get to sleep.  I took a melatonin at 9:30, which did nothing, then finally caved and added two Benadryl at 1 a.m. when I was still awake.  I didn't get to sleep until around 2 and then kept waking up every hour.  Then I still managed to oversleep ten minutes past my last alarm.  Ugh!  I am normally not that bad; once I fall asleep, I'm usually good at staying asleep or getting back to sleep quickly if I do wake up in the middle of the night.  Hopefully I will be tired enough to go to bed early tonight.  I don't know how you function on 3-4 hours of sleep a night.  I average about 6 on a school night, but then I am always exhausted by Friday and can easily sleep 9-10 hours on the weekend.

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:47:44 AM ---I managed to escape all the dead or dying dog novels in elementary school and up. I’ve never read the Red Fern but I was always able to tell when my students were reading it in class lol

--- End quote ---

You are lucky!  The worst sad animal book I had to read for school was The Yearling.  I hated that book!!

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:47:44 AM ---I’m glad they didn’t kill him off too. I feel like all the medical dramas felt like they needed to kill off characters to make a Covid realistic episode. I’m glad all the main characters were spared on both that one and The Resident. Let me know when you get caught up with Snow Piercer.

--- End quote ---

Yeah, I noticed that too.  I guess they couldn't do a Covid episode without some casualties, or it would seem like they weren't taking it seriously enough.  I was glad the nurse in The Resident survived too; I thought she was a goner because she wasn't a main character.  I'm hanging by a thread with that show; I have almost quit watching it several times, but then a good episode will come along and it sucks me back in.  I miss ER.

I'll let you know when I catch up with Snowpiercer!  At the rate I'm going, it may not be until summer LOL.

RokofAges75:
If Kevin was ever a complete mess, I'm guessing it would have been right before BSB came along, after his dad died.  I could imagine him feeling a little lost at that time, and he would have been right at that college kid age.  But he has always seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, so I doubt it was much of anything compared to Nick and AJ LOL.

Random fun fact I learned from Kevin's Wikipedia page yesterday:  Did you know he was an extra in "My Girl"??  I had never heard that before, so I looked it up, and yep, here he is: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/57/ec/0f57ec28f9eac260ac16fe864d33b393.jpg  He's in the carnival scene.  How did I not know that??

FrickingKaos:
Yes, I knew he was an extra in My Girl.

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:47:44 AM ---Wow! We are totally opposite! My sister is more like you. Her alarm goes off about ten times before she usually gets up and the level of loudness and noise varies depending on how late it’s getting. No matter how early or late I go to bed, I’m at early. I always wake up around 3 then it’s a waiting game until I get myself totally up. I sleep about 3 to 4 hours a night if I’m lucky. That’s with taking zzz quill. My sleep patterns also suck!
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:59:11 AM ---I was always a morning person, even as a kid. I do tend to try to go to bed by 10 but it seldom works.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 12, 2021, 04:55:58 PM ---LOL Yes we are.  I had a terrible night's sleep last night... probably because I slept in too late yesterday and then stayed up too late writing and talking to you all, then couldn't get to sleep.  I took a melatonin at 9:30, which did nothing, then finally caved and added two Benadryl at 1 a.m. when I was still awake.  I didn't get to sleep until around 2 and then kept waking up every hour.  Then I still managed to oversleep ten minutes past my last alarm.  Ugh!  I am normally not that bad; once I fall asleep, I'm usually good at staying asleep or getting back to sleep quickly if I do wake up in the middle of the night.  Hopefully I will be tired enough to go to bed early tonight.  I don't know how you function on 3-4 hours of sleep a night.  I average about 6 on a school night, but then I am always exhausted by Friday and can easily sleep 9-10 hours on the weekend.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 11, 2021, 11:16:26 PM ---Yes, same!  I lost my internal clock in college.  My dorm roommate had a double major, a full course load, a part-time job, and a boyfriend, so she was always really busy and would regularly stay up into the wee hours of the morning studying while I was trying to sleep before my 8 a.m. classes.  So I learned to sleep through just about anything with the light on.  I think that's what made me such a deep sleeper as an adult.
--- End quote ---

I don't know how you function on 3-4 hours habitually, Mare! The days I have Julie's Sunday-Monday sleep are so rough for me. Like two coffees to exist rough. My fitbit says I average 5-7 hours on work nights and 7-9 hours on non-work nights. I was guessing when you were on before and calling "5am" reasonable. If you were up at 3am though, we were all for sure up. That was only midnight for Rose, lol.

I hope everyone got some quality sleeping in since it's been relatively quiet here the past couple of days. Or that everyone is so inspired that they can't tear themselves away from writing or reading a great novel.  ;D

My freshman roommate was like that also, Julie. If I am tired, I will sleep regardless of conditions. I miss being a high schooler. Somehow I was a pretty good 10ish to 6ish sleeper. Now I will call it 11/12ish to 5-7ish. Alas.

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:47:44 AM ---I managed to escape all the dead or dying dog novels in elementary school and up.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 12, 2021, 04:55:58 PM ---You are lucky!  The worst sad animal book I had to read for school was The Yearling.  I hated that book!!
--- End quote ---

Ugh, so jealous.

The Yearling was so sad!

This has nothing to do with dead animals, but my least favorite book from school related-reading was definitely A Separate Peace, lol.

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:47:44 AM ---sorry this came out looking so weird. I tried to do the quote thing but I do this from my phone so it’s not working properly. [\color]
--- End quote ---

The forum is both ridiculous and extremely slow on my phone as well. I couldn't imagine attempting the long quoting conversations on a phone, so I think y'all on your phones deserve some praise.

I see your issue though! You used "\" instead of "/" to close the tags? frames? what are we calling these things? Anyway, a very minor issue. :)

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:59:11 AM ---I think it’s easier to write emotional scenes when you can relate to the scene your writing. I tried to put myself into that situation mentally and it tended to flow pretty easily.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 11, 2021, 11:16:26 PM ---It depends.  In general, I would say I write best when I'm in a good mood and not stressing out about something.  But I have been known to channel negative emotions into positive writing experiences.  I started Secrets of the Heart after a shitty week at work, when I desperately just needed to think about something else over the weekend.  And I got on a roll with A Heart That Isn't Mine after my grandpa died, when I was also trying to distract myself.  I think it works best when I'm in that emotional headspace because of something I can't control, like grief.  There's nothing you can really do about grief; you just have to go through it.  But if it's caused by a problem I can and should solve, it's harder to focus on writing before I do something to fix the problem.
--- End quote ---

I think that's true. Even on the smallest level, you have to be able to envision how it feels.

Those questions I posted a while back, I never responded because I got stuck thinking of a life experience I often use in my writing and never came up with one, lol!

That's true too. I think there's a difference between in the moment thinking "I am feeling x, and I am writing a similar x" than "I recall a time when x happened to me, so character may be feeling similar." I also like writing to avoid (or work through) things I can't control. Avoiding things I can control is no good for my focus, like you said. I do probably write best when I have nothing on my plate except a desire to write.

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:59:11 AM ---Those Russian Dolls sound like Hanson to me. I don’t hear a female voice at all! And I really can’t see the boys ever doing that together and I hope AJ isn’t the next one to do it. It’ll be like it’s always AJ going for Nick’s sloppy seconds.
--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 11, 2021, 11:16:26 PM ---LOL That would be awesome!

We may have discussed this before, but which BSB do we think is most likely to be on the Masked Singer next?  My money's on AJ, but I think it would be a great moment for Howie or Kevin to shine.  I don't see Brian doing it unless it was something with the whole group, partly because of his voice and partly because he just doesn't like the type to do a reality show.  Right, Blurry Brian?

In hindsight, maybe he should have gone on Celebrity Apprentice back in the day LOL.

--- End quote ---

Same. I also feel like they're Hanson. Thinking the pig might be Nick Lachey and those are my guesses this season. My friend thinks the shell is SJP.

I enjoy seeing AJ on tv too, but I think he's gotta do a show first. I think at this point, Nick's just like "Monetize my life? Monetize my life. Cool." I'd say AJ would be more likely to do it than the others, but that's the perfect reason for Howie or Kevin to do it! It being the Masked Singer and all. :)

Were they not on Celebrity Apprentice? I thought they were. Have I added a tv appearance in my head that didn't actually exist?

--- Quote from: mare on April 12, 2021, 09:59:11 AM ---I’m sure Kevin has been a complete mess at some point. Just because it doesn’t happen in public, doesn’t mean it didn’t happen. And I was never a fan of boy next door Brian because I’ve never really been a fan of Brian lol

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 12, 2021, 05:01:25 PM ---If Kevin was ever a complete mess, I'm guessing it would have been right before BSB came along, after his dad died.  I could imagine him feeling a little lost at that time, and he would have been right at that college kid age.  But he has always seemed to have a good head on his shoulders, so I doubt it was much of anything compared to Nick and AJ LOL.

Random fun fact I learned from Kevin's Wikipedia page yesterday:  Did you know he was an extra in "My Girl"??  I had never heard that before, so I looked it up, and yep, here he is: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0f/57/ec/0f57ec28f9eac260ac16fe864d33b393.jpg  He's in the carnival scene.  How did I not know that??

--- End quote ---

I guess I meant in BSB-time, but you're both right, he seems to have a good head on his shoulders, so he may be (or have been) better about keeping it private. After his dad died is probably a reasonable time to expect. I truthfully have just always assumed that he had his stuff together, but that may just be the 15-year age difference between us. Eleven-year-old me was like "Look at Kevin, he is so mature and well-adjusted." Meanwhile he was actually 26 and having been a 26-year-old, I'm like "Nah, 26 is only a little better than you were at 22, girl." Then at the same time: "I like this 18-year-old mess. He is so cute and charming. Oh? He's going to become even more of a hot mess? That's cool; ride or die, Nick," lol.

Mare always knew Brian had more going on than boy-next-door, lol.

I didn't know Kevin was an extra in My Girl! I'm going to be honest, I had an old age moment where I didn't immediately recognize the movie by title and thought I hadn't seen it at all. Oh Macaulay Culkin in the '90s.

(Okay, now I'm almost caught up. It took me a long time to respond to both of these, lol!)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version