Fic Talk > General Discussion

The Writing Thread: Orlando Passaggio (aka The Writing Thread 3)

<< < (75/149) > >>

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: mare on April 14, 2021, 12:56:21 PM ---I have tried to take melatonin but it didn’t work for me. Unisom doesn’t work either. Zzz quill helps me sleep for at least 3 hours straight but Tylenol pm and two gummy sleep aids seem to work best. My sister insists I should just start smoking pot lol but... no!

I miss ER too. Did you see there’s going to be a reunion? That’s very exciting. I also love how in those shows, the doctors ask all these questions and they happen to mention the one time when they went to NC and suddenly the doctors look at each other and are like yes! I know exactly what’s wrong with you! You just have come in contact with the green tailed chinchilla! All you have to do is take two of these and you’ll be cured!! I wish real doctors appointments went like that. I saw a different neurologist today and she was completely unhelpful. 

--- End quote ---

I'm glad you found something that works for you.  LOL My sister has also tried to convince me to take up pot now that it's legal in IL.  She's more into edibles than smoking it.  She gave me a pot gummy bear to try, and it did nothing for me.  Plus it tasted gross.  I'll stick to regular, delicious gummy bears, thanks.

I am SO EXCITED about this ER reunion!!!  And yes, I agree about the doctors in medical dramas just mysteriously knowing so much more than real doctors.  They also seem to specialize in everything.  The Resident is terrible about that; I don't even know what kind of doctor Conrad is supposed to be, but he can treat anything!  At least New Amsterdam is better about differentiatin g between the different departments and specialties.

I'm sorry your neurologist wasn't helpful this week. :(

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 05:08:46 PM ---I haven't gotten more than about 5 hours of sleep any night this week... ugh!  I have managed to keep up my daily writing streak, although the more sleep deprived I get, the less I'm able to write in a day.  I did not even have the mental energy left to reply to any of these posts last night LOL.  But I have maybe one or more paragraphs left to go in Chapter 13, so I'm hoping I can muster enough energy to finish that tonight.
--- End quote ---

According to fitbit, I'm at 3 days around 5 hours and 2 days between 7-8 hours (early start days versus later start days), so we're about in the same boat, I suppose.

Glad you kept your writing streak up! I saw you on and then saw you didn't reply and was like, "Ah, Julie must be drained." I get it. I've been there for sure. Good luck on your last paragraph today!

I have also kept up my streak, but was utterly useless yesterday. I don't know what it is about update days, but I never write much after them, no matter whether I can update earlier in the afternoon if I like or have to update in the evening. Afterward, I tried to hop between two different in progress points and just barely anything came out... I was hoping today would be better, but it's just as useless feeling right now. I think I also wish I could just make this chapter a movie montage, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 05:08:46 PM ---They did make a guest appearance on one episode, but I meant as a contestant.
--- End quote ---

It's been so long since I've seen it that I couldn't remember if they were contestants or guests, to be honest, lol. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't a crazy person and had made up their appearance on it.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 05:08:46 PM ---I like how you assume it's a sweet little anecdote and not a horror story about the time Kevin was caught decapitating baby birds so he could collect their skulls like a serial killer in the making.
--- End quote ---

I just figured with how much we all said that we hated reading about dead animals in general, that decapitated baby birds was out of the question, lol. If you hadn't specified baby birds, I may have asked if it was sweet or horrific.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 05:08:46 PM ---Good idea.  I'd be curious to see how much I could get done if I didn't stop to look stuff up or contemplate my word choice too.

--- End quote ---

I was thinking about doing it now on my own just to see if I could force myself out of this blah feeling for even just fifteen minutes of focus since I have a general idea of what to write, but I'm just feeling meh about writing -- it might be the snow. I'll let you know how it goes!

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 05:18:26 PM ---She gave me a pot gummy bear to try, and it did nothing for me.  Plus it tasted gross.  I'll stick to regular, delicious gummy bears, thanks.
--- End quote ---

lol I am also team "regular, delicious gummy bears."

RokofAges75:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 15, 2021, 05:38:39 PM ---According to fitbit, I'm at 3 days around 5 hours and 2 days between 7-8 hours (early start days versus later start days), so we're about in the same boat, I suppose.

Glad you kept your writing streak up! I saw you on and then saw you didn't reply and was like, "Ah, Julie must be drained." I get it. I've been there for sure. Good luck on your last paragraph today!

--- End quote ---

I hope we all can catch up on sleep this weekend!  Sounds like it's much-needed for everyone!

Thanks!  It actually ended up being seven paragraphs LOL, but I just finished the chapter!  Now I will be forced to start a new chapter on a Friday night to keep my streak alive... no pressure LOL.  Hopefully I can come up with a good first line tomorrow morning in case I'm brain dead by tomorrow night.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 15, 2021, 05:38:39 PM ---I have also kept up my streak, but was utterly useless yesterday. I don't know what it is about update days, but I never write much after them, no matter whether I can update earlier in the afternoon if I like or have to update in the evening. Afterward, I tried to hop between two different in progress points and just barely anything came out... I was hoping today would be better, but it's just as useless feeling right now. I think I also wish I could just make this chapter a movie montage, lol.

--- End quote ---

I know that feeling.  I have to either get my Saturday updates ready to post late on Friday night or wait until Saturday afternoon because if I get up on Saturday morning and do that before I try to write, I probably won't be productive either.  Do you write your author chats in advance, or is that part of your update day routine?  Because that takes time and mental effort too.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 15, 2021, 05:38:39 PM ---It's been so long since I've seen it that I couldn't remember if they were contestants or guests, to be honest, lol. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't a crazy person and had made up their appearance on it.

--- End quote ---

LOL I would have started watching that show much sooner if any of them had been contestants.  The one episode they were on was the first episode I ever watched.  But then I tuned in to the first episode of a later season that featured one of Illinois's many crooked governors, Rod Blagojevich, just to see what a train wreck it was.  I got sucked in, and I'm ashamed to admit Celebrity Apprentice was one of my guilty pleasure shows for its last few seasons.  I refused to vote for Trump just based on how obnoxious he was on that show, and that was nothing compared to his whole presidency.

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 15, 2021, 05:38:39 PM ---I just figured with how much we all said that we hated reading about dead animals in general, that decapitated baby birds was out of the question, lol. If you hadn't specified baby birds, I may have asked if it was sweet or horrific.

--- End quote ---

LOL Have I mentioned that the story I'm writing is really depressing?

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 15, 2021, 05:38:39 PM ---I was thinking about doing it now on my own just to see if I could force myself out of this blah feeling for even just fifteen minutes of focus since I have a general idea of what to write, but I'm just feeling meh about writing -- it might be the snow. I'll let you know how it goes!

--- End quote ---

Ew, snow!!  Snow in April is just wrong.

Yeah, for me it would definitely have to be on a weekend when my brain is well-rested.  By this point in the week, I'm usually pretty "meh" about writing too.

RokofAges75:
Here is today's Camp Nano Care Package:

"'I write every day at the same time! I write ten pages everyday! I set myself deadlines and stick to them! I only ever write in the bathtub!' — said no one ever, and yet, somehow, every writer.

When we read about other writer’s practices, we often forget that they are that writer’s practice, and not universals. There is no one way to write a novel, and for the novel that you are writing now, the way you are doing it is just fine, thank you very much."

I know we've already talked about writing routines and rituals on here, but are you consistent with the practices you follow every day that you write, or do you change it up open?  What are the more rigid requirements you have for a successful writing session, and what can you be flexible with?

nicksgal:

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 07:07:32 PM ---I hope we all can catch up on sleep this weekend!  Sounds like it's much-needed for everyone!

Thanks!  It actually ended up being seven paragraphs LOL, but I just finished the chapter!  Now I will be forced to start a new chapter on a Friday night to keep my streak alive... no pressure LOL.  Hopefully I can come up with a good first line tomorrow morning in case I'm brain dead by tomorrow night.
--- End quote ---

Tomorrow's a late start for me, so I'm hoping! That or waking up and feeling immensely inspired to write with my morning.

Glad you're done even though it was six paragraphs longer than you expected! lol Just saying, if the new chapter's not coming, could be a good time to write a scene out of order for the good of the streak. ;) I'm sending you good vibes.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 07:07:32 PM ---I know that feeling.  I have to either get my Saturday updates ready to post late on Friday night or wait until Saturday afternoon because if I get up on Saturday morning and do that before I try to write, I probably won't be productive either.  Do you write your author chats in advance, or is that part of your update day routine?  Because that takes time and mental effort too.
--- End quote ---

I think it's the feeling of being "done." I did today's thing, so now I don't have to do things anymore today. Which is a bummer, because sometimes I'm really into the writing earlier in the day. I do write my author chats in advance 95% of the time. The funnier, more eloquent, and elaborate that they are, I wrote them ahead of time. If they're kind of rambly and/or shorter, then I wrote them after (or just prior to) updating.

This week's was funny if anyone missed it and likes listening to me discuss things I've researched with great love at one point or another. Here's an excerpt:

--- Quote from: nicksgal on April 14, 2021, 08:53:15 PM ---Or the slightly newer [reason] where [Isis] needed the magic to re-create a certain missing body part for her dead husband after Set played a game of “Whoever fits in this sarcophagus wins!” “Oh no, our pharaoh Osiris is dead! And chopped into tiny pieces! And now we need a new pharaoh of all of Egypt?! Who could have possibly seen this coming?! Guess it’s me unless some more legitimate heir miraculously comes along! (Good luck procreating with your dead and dis-membered husband.)”
--- End quote ---

I was running out of things to talk about that seemed interesting, so I went with my old reliable "mythology," lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 07:07:32 PM ---LOL I would have started watching that show much sooner if any of them had been contestants.  The one episode they were on was the first episode I ever watched.  But then I tuned in to the first episode of a later season that featured one of Illinois's many crooked governors, Rod Blagojevich, just to see what a train wreck it was.  I got sucked in, and I'm ashamed to admit Celebrity Apprentice was one of my guilty pleasure shows for its last few seasons.  I refused to vote for Trump just based on how obnoxious he was on that show, and that was nothing compared to his whole presidency.
--- End quote ---

Same. A Backstreet Boy as a contestant on some show? I am there. It's why I watched DWTS twice, after all, lol. I think if you relate to or recognize the celebrity, it's easier to get sucked in, whether it's the Boys or a crooked governor. I ebb in and out of watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette just depending on how likeable or horrendous the contestants were the season before.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 07:07:32 PM ---LOL Have I mentioned that the story I'm writing is really depressing?
--- End quote ---

I mean, yes. But I just also can't picture Kevin decapitating baby birds on top of sad dead animals, lol.

--- Quote from: RokofAges75 on April 15, 2021, 07:07:32 PM ---Ew, snow!!  Snow in April is just wrong.

Yeah, for me it would definitely have to be on a weekend when my brain is well-rested.  By this point in the week, I'm usually pretty "meh" about writing too.

--- End quote ---

It's fairly common here? You get used to it.

I just finished up this week's training that I'm doing right now and it might be another meh day for me, unfortunately. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version