Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Featured Story of the month for January 2008 - Just Another Day by Rose  (Read 14208 times)

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
Re: Featured Story of the month for January 2008 - Just Another Day by Rose
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »

Congrats Rose! (Yeah, as always, I'm late lol)
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2008, 02:43:58 PM »

Ah, that's really interesting that you didn't have the guys be BSB. That was smart thinking though. lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2008, 02:58:35 PM »

At least I'm not late in reading this story!
I´ve started right after my previous post and am almost done..
What can I say, I read fast.. good, remember details and such, just fast!

I gotta say I love this story. I´m not really into love stories all that much, but this one is good! I´ll give you a better, longer, more detailed review later on!

Got a question first though. (I also asked in the review-part on the AC-site, but still..)

It's about chapter 17:
I'm kinda confused though.. About this:

“But you SO like him! That’s the guy who you talked about before Sebby came to town right?”

“Yeah it was him-”

<

Izzy met him right? In the living room when the whole fight with Devi was going on.. So why does she ask this question??

Is it sarcasm? Or is it because Cally never told her that the guy she talked to on the phone actually is Nick? Or.. am I just crazy and imagining things?!

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 01:43:06 AM »

Well she mentioned a guy she met earlier in the story when she was talking to Isabel, but never actually named him. That she liked him and all that. She never said it was actually Nick, Iz just was making sure it was the same guy :)
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2008, 08:51:57 AM »

Okay! I figured it was probably that.. but ya never know :)

I was planning on leaving a huge (well, maybe not huge, just longer) review, but I just got a call that I have to go to work soon.. I will give you one later though!

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2008, 10:17:10 PM »

Rose, do you have a favorite chapter or line from your story?

What about anyone else? Care to share your favorite chapter of Scene from JAD and tell us why you loved it so much?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2008, 11:20:29 PM »

Rose, do you have a favorite chapter or line from your story?

What about anyone else? Care to share your favorite chapter of Scene from JAD and tell us why you loved it so much?

oo.. I'm sure I have one. I'll have to get back to you in a bit...  :D
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2008, 02:57:27 AM »

Fave chapter? http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8180&chapter=18 Chapter 17, and it's cause of the stargazing scene, I had HWSS on repeat playing and I feel that chapter totally captures the mood of that song.

Fave line? Well, it's this little blurb right here, cause I totallwy feel like I showed off a randomness that could only be Nick here, in chapter 13.

She smelled of peaches and mangos. I’ve never had a mango, but you know, that shampoo-y mango smell. Yum. I wonder why the fruity smell in stuff never smells like real fruit smells? It’s like that in bath stuff, candy, liquor… Focus Nick!

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »

Alrightie, here it goes!

I love, love, love, love this story!! (And it's sequel too! By the way, I need an update ;D )
Why?
Let me explain..

First, I like the fact that Cally rambles a LOT! It really shows her 'bubbly' personality and makes her so spontaneous, even though she's quite shy around people she just met. To us, she seems to be herself and I like her. I really do. She has her flaws, flaws I can relate to, flaws that make sense, but don't make her a bad person.

I like the fact that even though she is shy, she knows what she wants. That she doesn't always does those things, well, we can blame her parents for that! I mean, she's still young and her parents and friends can influence her pretty much, but that partly is because of her being that young. She knows what she wants (art school for example), but is scared to take that step, because of the expectations of everyone around her. It's sad, but completely understandable . (Which doesn't mean I was at times really frustrated with her because of it. Not like I was mad at her, I just wished she'd choose the path she wanted to go.)

And for Nick, well.. he's Nick. You really portray him like I think he can be at times. When he was so depressed in the beginning of the story, you kinda got me scared. Not because of how he felt, but because of how realistically you made it seem. It almost made me feel like I was reading a blog written by the 'real' Nick Carter. So you obviously did a good job on that. Not only that, he seemed to be suffering from a real depression, with thoughts of suicide.

What I also liked a lot, was the fact that things don't suddenly go fantastic overnight. Not with Nick's moodswings and feelings, and not with Cally's insecurities and fears that hold her back. In fact, especially Cally stays scared out of her mind of certain things for the most of the story, which only seems natural. They really have to 'fight for their right' (sorry, couldn't resist ;D) to be together and live their lives the way they want to.

You're brilliant for the whole "making the guys a rockband instead of a boyband". It works out perfectly fine and I love the little BSB-remarks or things that are BSB and you made them FOI.  ;D Very creative!

Alright, so that makes my review for the most part.
Now for some random thoughts:

- Tracy is a bitch
- I love the way Cally answers her phone!
- I did think it was kinda strange that Brian gave Calypso his number just like that though. Especially because there was no damage to her bike or herself.. and the fact they have quite the age difference. I can see why you did it that way though, it just seemed a bit odd.
- Sebastian has no right to call himself a good friend. Even though he was trying to protect her, telling her parents everything was just.. ugh.. awful would be an understatement . It was just.. 'hella frustrating' to read him act like that.
- The incident at the Grove was sweet, until the paparazzi showed up ofcourse. But before that, the whole thing just made me smile.

That's about it.. lol.. Long enough?  ;)

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2008, 02:53:40 PM »

Now for some questions..(If any of these were already asked, I'm sorry, and just ignore those questions lol)

How did you come up with the title for this story? I mean, did you already have the title and sorta built a story around it? Or did it at first have another title? Or maybe (a lot of 'or's lol) did you have the storyline and couldn't come up with a title then?

Why did you decide to keep the other guys (mostly Howie, Kevin and AJ) out of the story for the most part? Special reason or didn't they belong/fit in JAD?

Ugh.. and another question popped in my head yesterday while I was at work.. but I can't think of it right now..

Owh, and by the way.. I love the Nickname Cally gave Nick! And I love his thoughts about it lol..

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2008, 03:12:21 PM »

Now for my fave chapter and why:

It's chapter... drumroll please..

Well, actually, it's the second part of chapter 6 (Damn) and then chapter 7 (Us? Babysitting?).

Why?
I mean, we must all agree that it is funny as hell that the two of them get stuck. I could see it happen and it really made me laugh out loud (very loud, I might add). It's just so Nickish AND Cally-ish to end up in that situation.

But what I liked about it, was the fact that it terrificly shows how people can misinterpret signals. When Nick sees her standing in front of the Littrell's door, he's thinking about how good she looks in her own way and how he lost his tongue because he's in awe. Cally on the other hand is absolutely convinced that Nick is annoyed by her standing there and that she's everything he considers ugly.

It's a perfect illustration of misinterpretat ing the situation. I love it! I mean, who doesn't think for the other in some situation? Everyone does, don't we? And this shows how wrong we might be. I love it!

Now I also have a fav line, I just can't seem to find it right now.. When I have, I'll post it! >
Got it! It's more than one line though.. It's the moment Nick realises Brian was right. I especially love the part I painted black. Chapter 18: Blind but now I see. >

Thinking back I guess this girl stood out to me from the get go. She was everything I know the world wasn’t supposed to be. I was dating the kind of girl who the world expected me to date. Legs that go on forever, sex when she walks, cocky, and knows exactly who’s she’s dating and what she knows she “should” get from me because of it.

“And Cally ran because fame scared her along with expensive gifts?”

I blinked, surprised. Fuck. He had a point. Damn that Brian. Gets me every damn time. “Yeah...guess so...”

“Nick, not telling you how to live your life, but here is a free piece of advice. Keep this friend, she’s rare. I’ll see you at the studio.”

« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 03:20:18 PM by Nijntje »

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2008, 12:06:44 PM »

Wow I have a lot to reply to lol.

I'm so glad you love Cally, cause honestly I tried to make her as real as possible. But I wanted her to still be likable with her issues intact. She's more apt to go for what she wants in say the sequel but it is obvious that issue is there, just not as much. But yes a lot of that has to do with the fact she is only eighteen years old.

Nick, I portrayed him the way I saw him in the year 2004/2005, cause that's the Nick I was going for. Hence why he does have a "recent" ex called London lol. I seriously think he was in a dark place and needed someone to help pull him out bit by bit, which Cally happened to be that person.

As for Brian and Cally, I myself have had moments where I met someone, realized I needed to keep contact even if there isn't a real reason as to why, and got a number. Knowing it seemed odd lol. For me, that moment plays off as a meant to be moment since that's how Nick gets the number, calls Cally and sets off the whole chain.

-Yes Tracy is evil, but every man has a gf who is someone you know is just so he can get the booty.
- The way Cally answers her phone is the way my friend answers his phone lol, thats where I got the idea from.
- Sebastian although misguided, had the best intentions. (LOL I hate defending him but even I know this). He's the good friend who would even have them hate him if it meant she was protected, he thought he was protecting her.
- I love the Grove incident, to me at that point of the story, it's "what could be" in the sweetness of it, and in the paparazzi attack cause both come with Nick.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2008, 12:17:41 PM »

How did you come up with the title for this story? I mean, did you already have the title and sorta built a story around it? Or did it at first have another title? Or maybe (a lot of 'or's lol) did you have the storyline and couldn't come up with a title then?

Actually at first I was going to name it "Happenstance" because of how the story does start off because of a chance of fate. But it didn't sit well with me. Then, I heard this kinda cheesy song by Jesse McCartney on some movie that was on, called "Best Day of My Life", and the chorus goes:
just another day, it started out like any other, just another day, she took my breath, then she turned around, she took me down...just another day I had the best day of my life. I guess it goes to show you never really know when everything's about to change...And it basically said the theme of the story I had in mind, how everything can change on Just Another Day. And the title was born lol

Why did you decide to keep the other guys (mostly Howie, Kevin and AJ) out of the story for the most part? Special reason or didn't they belong/fit in JAD?
They just didn't fit in the way I would have liked. AJ started popping in more, and will be in more the sequel. Howie and Kevin I'm also trying to fit in more, but yeah, it's mainly always going to be Nick and Brian. No special reason to it though.

Ugh.. and another question popped in my head yesterday while I was at work.. but I can't think of it right now..

Owh, and by the way.. I love the Nickname Cally gave Nick! And I love his thoughts about it lol..

LOL Oh you mean Squishy! lmfao honestly the way Nick can be when he's hyper (in the fic or real life lol), is adorable. And it's from Finding Nemo, and just, seems to fit Cally's own brand of randomness and Nick's. I think it's cute lol.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2008, 12:27:40 PM »

Now for my fave chapter and why:

It's chapter... drumroll please..

Well, actually, it's the second part of chapter 6 (Damn) and then chapter 7 (Us? Babysitting?).

Why?
I mean, we must all agree that it is funny as hell that the two of them get stuck. I could see it happen and it really made me laugh out loud (very loud, I might add). It's just so Nickish AND Cally-ish to end up in that situation.

But what I liked about it, was the fact that it terrificly shows how people can misinterpret signals. When Nick sees her standing in front of the Littrell's door, he's thinking about how good she looks in her own way and how he lost his tongue because he's in awe. Cally on the other hand is absolutely convinced that Nick is annoyed by her standing there and that she's everything he considers ugly.

It's a perfect illustration of misinterpretat ing the situation. I love it! I mean, who doesn't think for the other in some situation? Everyone does, don't we? And this shows how wrong we might be. I love it!

Now I also have a fav line, I just can't seem to find it right now.. When I have, I'll post it! >
Got it! It's more than one line though.. It's the moment Nick realises Brian was right. I especially love the part I painted black. Chapter 18: Blind but now I see. >

Thinking back I guess this girl stood out to me from the get go. She was everything I know the world wasn’t supposed to be. I was dating the kind of girl who the world expected me to date. Legs that go on forever, sex when she walks, cocky, and knows exactly who’s she’s dating and what she knows she “should” get from me because of it.

“And Cally ran because fame scared her along with expensive gifts?”

I blinked, surprised. Fuck. He had a point. Damn that Brian. Gets me every damn time. “Yeah...guess so...”

“Nick, not telling you how to live your life, but here is a free piece of advice. Keep this friend, she’s rare. I’ll see you at the studio.”

The babysitting chapters, those were fun to write honestly. I was cracking up the entire time. I was originally going to try to squeeze it all in one but figured it deserved two lol. I'm glad you saw I was going for the idea that people misread signals so badly all the time. It was my first chance to really face their POVs against each other since I was using both and it had them both there thinking about the other lol. And with as clumsy as they both can be, getting stuck isn't a huge stretch of the imagination lol.

And chapter 18, I had a hard time with that one, cause Nick finally opened his eyes to what's been there all along. I wasn't sure how to go about it without making it bad lol. So I'm glad you liked that scene as well.  ;D

Oh side note cause I forgot to put this in my earlier post, I'm glad you liked how I snuck in all this BSB stuff to make it FOI. I wanted the transition to be smooth and still have the group we're all fans of in essence be there somehow.

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2008, 02:27:27 PM »

Thanks Rose for the replies!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4