Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10

Author Topic: What if a BSB went to the temple?  (Read 28153 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Re: What if a BSB went to the temple?
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2008, 12:16:09 AM »

My mommy was raised Methodist and I went for a while, but... It's more like being nice to other people and that there's some sort of greater power out there, I just don't really know what it is. :)

I know what you mean.  I believe what I was raised to believe, and I haven't gone against that, but I'm also not exactly a practicing Methodist either.  I'm one who kinda picks and chooses LOL.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

starbeamz

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2008, 12:16:54 AM »

lol Mormons are the worst at that! So many are born and raised as mormons, but then decided they don't believe or want to live by the guidelines of the faith. I think it's one thing to be baptized in the LDS faith and attend church occasionally, but it's an entirely different thing to actually live by the religion. Its kind of sad the percentage in our faith that do live by the standards set forth.

I think every religion has that LOL There are so many Muslims my age that are totally ignoring half the rules and living their lives the way they want because they want to be just like everybody else. I can understand that...to a point. I just don't understand how, when you're doing everything in total opposition to what a religion says, you can still say that you practice it...

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like, if you do it knowingly, it's just hypocritical.
Sarah

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2008, 12:24:24 AM »

I know what you mean.  I believe what I was raised to believe, and I haven't gone against that, but I'm also not exactly a practicing Methodist either.  I'm one who kinda picks and chooses LOL.

Well, I think all modern religions are based on being nice to your fellow man, so as long as we all have that in common, anything else we choose to believe in our own right is not a big deal. :)
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2008, 12:25:35 AM »

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like, if you do it knowingly, it's just hypocritical.

That's kind of like saying you're registered in a class, but you only go when you want.

It's silly.

But I can understand how people pick and choose, especially living in different envirnments and things like that.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2008, 12:27:52 AM »

Well, I think all modern religions are based on being nice to your fellow man, so as long as we all have that in common, anything else we choose to believe in our own right is not a big deal. :)

well said. I totally agree!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2008, 12:31:39 AM »

I have my moments. lol
~*Dee*~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2008, 03:53:44 PM »

This is a long one for being posted yesterday. Mostly because of the religious aspect probably.

I was raised Roman Catholic and have taken quite a bit of heat growing up. Mostly because people don't understand the worship aspects of the faith since it has the same root as many of the other religions.

As for Mormons, the only thing I dislike is the door to door attempt to preach. Though the ones I've turned away have always been curteous about me doing so. *shrugs* If I wanted to seek out a particular faith I would do it on my own. But hey Jehovah's Witnesses do the same thing so yeah. heh.

Pretty much I will discuss religions with people, I like to debate the details and play devils advocate (yes I will debate you against religion) but it's only to get people thinking and really learning how to defend their own faith (one guy told me I helped him grow deeper in his faith) LOL. I have been hated and called athiest for it ...heee.. I'm of the belief though you don't bash a religion and only can speak negatively about it if you know the religion deeply and not just think you know it.  I like to take aspects of lots of different religions and form my own beliefs off of them, that's how I am now.

As for a story about a boy falling for someone from LDS I think it would be interesting for the religious aspect. Quite a drama can ensue with a boy fighting his love for the girl because of her religious beliefs but that's the only reason he fights it because she is a perfect match for him. It would be quite intriguing though I could not write it since I do not know the Mormon faith well enough to write about it.

My husband was rasied RLDS *Ducks* It's called something else now but I've heard that Mormons HATE RLDS but he can't tell me about the split or how they differ.

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »

This is a long one for being posted yesterday. Mostly because of the religious aspect probably.

I was raised Roman Catholic and have taken quite a bit of heat growing up. Mostly because people don't understand the worship aspects of the faith since it has the same root as many of the other religions.

As for Mormons, the only thing I dislike is the door to door attempt to preach. Though the ones I've turned away have always been curteous about me doing so. *shrugs* If I wanted to seek out a particular faith I would do it on my own. But hey Jehovah's Witnesses do the same thing so yeah. heh.

Pretty much I will discuss religions with people, I like to debate the details and play devils advocate (yes I will debate you against religion) but it's only to get people thinking and really learning how to defend their own faith (one guy told me I helped him grow deeper in his faith) LOL. I have been hated and called athiest for it ...heee.. I'm of the belief though you don't bash a religion and only can speak negatively about it if you know the religion deeply and not just think you know it.  I like to take aspects of lots of different religions and form my own beliefs off of them, that's how I am now.

As for a story about a boy falling for someone from LDS I think it would be interesting for the religious aspect. Quite a drama can ensue with a boy fighting his love for the girl because of her religious beliefs but that's the only reason he fights it because she is a perfect match for him. It would be quite intriguing though I could not write it since I do not know the Mormon faith well enough to write about it.

My husband was rasied RLDS *Ducks* It's called something else now but I've heard that Mormons HATE RLDS but he can't tell me about the split or how they differ.

aww. We don't hate the RLDS (Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), we just get tired of people mixing the two up because most of the time people don't even know that the RLDS church exists. They just assume that they are the same religion and then everything the two different religions believe gets lumped together and it creates a lot of misconceptions about our faith. (as if we don't have enough of those to begin with  :D) But of course we don't hate them. I've only ever met one RLDS member in my whole life and she was a very nice person. It was interesting to talk to her and I learned they have a lot of the same principals as the LDS faith. Which makes sense because they are a branch off the faith, but they differ in the few core elements that we consider to be very important.

I didn't know it was called something else now?

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2008, 09:59:34 PM »

^ I looked it up, they call themselves Church of Christ now. *shrugs*

Jason told me that LDS members were forbidden to speak to RLDS members. *shrugs* Doesn't matter he doesn't go to that church anymore, he has his beliefs but we'd probably go to some non-denominational Christian church if we wanted to attended services.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2008, 10:00:49 PM »

aww. We don't hate the RLDS (Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints), we just get tired of people mixing the two up because most of the time people don't even know that the RLDS church exists. They just assume that they are the same religion and then everything the two different religions believe gets lumped together and it creates a lot of misconceptions about our faith. (as if we don't have enough of those to begin with  :D) But of course we don't hate them. I've only ever met one RLDS member in my whole life and she was a very nice person. It was interesting to talk to her and I learned they have a lot of the same principals as the LDS faith. Which makes sense because they are a branch off the faith, but they differ in the few core elements that we consider to be very important.

I didn't know it was called something else now?

Yeah, I think it's called Community Church of Christ or something along those lines; I'm not positive.  I actually didn't know they existed until about... oh... maximum of five years ago.   Thus I never met anyone, to my knowledge, from RLDS.

I don't really know how they got started either other than this:  After Joseph Smith died and the majority of the Saints had gone to the Salt Lake Valley, Joseph's wife Emma eventually remarried.  I don't know when RLDS was organized, but they asked Joseph and Emma's son, Joseph III to lead them.  He said no two or three times before he finally agreed.  I think, also, that the leadership passed down through the family to today.

If any of that is wrong, please correct me, because I'm interested in learning how they differ from the LDS church.  Along with every other Christian church and other religion out there.
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2008, 10:07:32 PM »

Jason told me that LDS members were forbidden to speak to RLDS members. *shrugs*

Well, from my point of view, that's just not true.  I know that there are people out there who take things to the extreme in different aspects of life.  That may be one such extremity, it may not.  I don't know.  If I were to meet an RLDS member, I would be fascinated to know their beliefs.
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2008, 10:26:12 PM »

Well, my Belief-o-Matic results are finally in.

1.  Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (100%) 
2.  Jehovah's Witness (88%) 
3.  Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (73%) 
4.  Orthodox Judaism (69%) 
5.  Islam (63%) 
6.  Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (63%) 
7.  Bahá'í Faith (62%) 
8.  Orthodox Quaker (62%) 
9.  Sikhism (57%) 
10.  Eastern Orthodox (53%) 
11.  Roman Catholic (53%) 
12.  Seventh Day Adventist (49%) 
13.  Liberal Quakers (47%) 
14.  Reform Judaism (46%) 
15.  Jainism (46%) 
16.  Hinduism (39%) 
17.  Mahayana Buddhism (38%) 
18.  Theravada Buddhism (37%) 
19.  Unitarian Universalism (37%) 
20.  Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (33%) 
21.  Neo-Pagan (30%) 
22.  New Age (24%) 
23.  Secular Humanism (23%) 
24.  Taoism (18%) 
25.  Scientology (18%) 
26.  New Thought (17%) 
27.  Nontheist (17%)

Well, it got me right too.  It'll be interesting to learn about all these beliefs.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2008, 10:55:11 PM »

I got for my top three (I can't copy/paste from internet pages for some reason)

1.  Unitarium Universalism 100%
2.  Neo-Pagan 95%
3. Liberal Quaker 91%

I've read those and yes a mix of those is me. :-D

I was raised Roman Catholic and that was Number 25 out of 27 at 20% lol.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Nijntje

• Minion of Mayhem
  • Some love is not really love at all..
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »

Here are my results...

1.  Unitarian Universalism (100%) 
2.  Secular Humanism (96%) 
3.  Liberal Quakers (87%) 
4.  Neo-Pagan (79%) 
5.  Theravada Buddhism (77%) 
6.  Mainline to Liberal Christian Protestants (72%) 
7.  Nontheist (71%) 
8.  New Age (65%) 
9.  Reform Judaism (61%) 
10.  Mahayana Buddhism (60%) 
11.  Taoism (58%) 
12.  Bahá'í Faith (48%) 
13.  Orthodox Quaker (48%) 
14.  Scientology (47%) 
15.  Sikhism (46%) 
16.  Jainism (46%) 
17.  New Thought (45%) 
18.  Christian Science (Church of Christ, Scientist) (32%) 
19.  Islam (30%) 
20.  Orthodox Judaism (30%) 
21.  Mainline to Conservative Christian/Protestant (26%) 
22.  Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) (25%) 
23.  Hinduism (25%) 
24.  Eastern Orthodox (23%) 
25.  Roman Catholic (23%) 
26.  Seventh Day Adventist (18%) 
27.  Jehovah's Witness (6%) 

And they are pretty correct.. I'm an atheist and the religions/beliefs above that, are pretty okay with everything you do or don't believe.. so yeah, it's pretty accurate.

I seriously don't understand though why my Scientology-score is higher than my Islam-score.. I know I agree with a lot more of the Islam-beliefs (for example the 'Zakat') than I do with the Scientology-things.. And I absolutely do NOT agree with Jehovah's (but don't worry,  I don't wish them any harm or something ;) ), so I'm okay with that one being on the lowest rank..
Not every dream is supposed to come true
Some words are best unsaid
Some love is not really love at all
I keep everything I shared with you
And that's enough.. there's us..

julilly

• Master of Havoc
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2008, 01:09:08 PM »

Isn't Nick a mormon or is that one of those things that was made up inside my head? lol

You didn't make it up! Around the time that his mother's book came out, she made mention of it, then the press talked about it
~Maple Jellybean~

What's the difference between ignorance and apathy? ... I don't know, and I don't care.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10