Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Endings..GAH  (Read 4932 times)

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Endings..GAH
« on: February 03, 2008, 01:33:18 PM »

So, I'm in the middle of writing a story and I'm starting to think "Crap! I have no idea how to end this!" The problem is, I have to decide soon because the ending will impact the way I want to take the story.  It will also impact the length of the story by a significant amount.  How do you decide how to end your stories?  Usually when I start one, I have a clear ending in mind, but this one has taken so much planning and organization that I really want to be sure of the ending before I move any further.  Help!!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Endings..GAH
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 01:40:20 PM »

Nine times out of ten, I don't have a clear ending. Maybe that's why I'm so scatter-brained. lol I will though have a vague idea of what should happen. Like, in a romance, for instance, they either end up together or they don't. You pick one and move toward it.

The story I've been working on for a while now is PBox, and when I started it, I did have a very vague idea of what would happen in the end, and that's what will be the fiftieth chapter. Everything up to that point, I had yet to think of. I think it was around chapter nineteen when I figured out how I wanted the story to end. Nick and I had an argument about it, and the two of us settled on an ending that made both of us happy. lol

So I'd say just have a nice little chat with your characters and decide from there. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 01:54:24 PM »

I'm kind of the opposite. Nine Times out of ten I see the ending first. Basically when I come up with a story idea I ask my self "what if?"  What if this happened? What if these two did this? Then The answer to my what if is usually the end of my story. Everything in the middle for me is usually the "how?"  If this happened, then this would be the result so how do I get to that point?

I can't even really see starting a story if I don't know how it will eventually end, so I'm probably no help at all.   But good luck!!
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Kagoma

• Major Disruption
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2008, 02:30:16 PM »

I never ever think of the ending. Its like a weird thing with me. I never know how I'm going to end things.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 04:46:34 PM »

7.5 times out of ten I have an ending in mind already while the other 2.5 times I freeball the ending lol

I would say concentrate on your story right before bed one night and maybe it'll come to you in your dreams. I'm not kidding either lol i've done that before and it's worked out.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 05:00:04 PM »

I usually think of the basic idea first, but before I start writing it, I have to have at least a general idea of how it's going to end.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 06:44:07 PM »

Usually the first two things I come up with are a beginning and an ending. Sometimes that ending changes are its not completely clear, but I usually have a general idea of where I want the story and the characters to be when I do decide to end it.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 10:38:03 PM »

Well, I had something of an idea for an ending but now I'm not so sure that I like it anymore.  I guess it's that I've come to really like the characters and now  I don't want to end the story on the somewhat plain and boring note that I had originally intended.  Perhaps I'll throw in some drama for good measure haha

Thanks for your help :) *hugs for everyone* Yay!
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2008, 10:41:25 PM »

ooh, thats always hard. I recently had to change the whole ending of my story. I just had to really get in my characters heads and put myself in their shoes. But, I finally did come up with something and I'm actually a lot more excited about the new ending than the first one.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2008, 10:43:26 PM »

I typically have an idea of where a story is going, but sometimes the characters move the story in a different direction then I intend. In Darkness of Vampires, the ending in that story is NOT the ending I had intended, but April and Kevin took the story in a different direction and I couldn't end it that original way.  The basic idea of how the first story was going to end is still how the 2nd story ended though.

When writing Amnesia, I had NO idea of how that was going to end, but let the twists and turns I kept making with the main characters steer the story and how it ended was how it needed to end.

I agree with mare about thinking about your story before you sleep or let your mind drift to your story as you listen to music.  Both of those ways have developed plot lines and endings for my stories in the past. :-D
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2008, 10:45:18 PM »

Well, I had something of an idea for an ending but now I'm not so sure that I like it anymore.  I guess it's that I've come to really like the characters and now  I don't want to end the story on the somewhat plain and boring note that I had originally intended.  Perhaps I'll throw in some drama for good measure haha

Thanks for your help :) *hugs for everyone* Yay!

lol, Sounds like a cookbook recepie. A dash of drama here, a pinch of romance there... A spoonfull of angst.... lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2008, 10:45:54 PM »

My only piece of advice is to go with your gut and give it the ending YOU want. Not the one other people WANT to see (Unless its what you want of course) I learned the hard way with UMS that readers suck like that sometimes, but if you believe in an ending strongly enough you'll be proud of it. Don't let anyone else influence your opinions.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2008, 10:49:16 PM »

My only piece of advice is to go with your gut and give it the ending YOU want. Not the one other people WANT to see (Unless its what you want of course) I learned the hard way with UMS that readers suck like that sometimes, but if you believe in an ending strongly enough you'll be proud of it. Don't let anyone else influence your opinions.

That's my life philosophy. ;D
~*Dee*~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2008, 10:50:53 PM »

Definately end it for yourself first and foremost and if it happens to be what readers want then good for them, but I think endings are even better (most times) when it's not exactly how you (the reader) wants it to end.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2008, 10:52:48 PM »

Definately end it for yourself first and foremost and if it happens to be what readers want then good for them, but I think endings are even better (most times) when it's not exactly how you (the reader) wants it to end.

But does a reader necessarily see it that way right away? lol

Give me an example. ;)
~*Dee*~

Pages: [1] 2