Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Fanfic Warnings?  (Read 6292 times)

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
Re: Fanfic Warnings?
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2008, 10:11:48 PM »

Even the most practise can't give you a 12 inch penis lol Soooo I think he still has a lot to live up to when it comes to people who put their expectations into fic form

LMFAO!!! Julilly I think that comment just about made my night! I heart you! Lol

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 10:35:53 PM »

Warnings do not turn me off or on to a story since I'm against censorship and ratings of stories to begin with.  I understand the ratings online since you don't have areas to call stories Children's, Young Adult or Adult...

But yeah a Mary Sue warning would be GRAND!
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

AJsKellyMouse

• Minion of Mayhem
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2008, 12:46:03 PM »

In real life, where "books" exist, you don't know whether or not the book you picked up is going to have graphic sex, or just the regular kind, or graphic violence or finger jammed in a car door, you basically go off of the summary, and the reputation/writing history of the author.

I have a point here, it's that I think warnings aren't completely necessary. Even if you write slash you would put that it's gay m/m f/f etc in the genre description.

I didn't think of it like that...that's a really good point.  I completely agree with you on this.
~Kelly~

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2008, 10:38:29 PM »

Julilly I've always thought that way about books. That you only go off the description/summary on the back of the book but there is no little box that says "Warning this book contains material not suitable for all ages" *shrugs*  That is where the genre comes in. If you pick up a Harlequin romance expect more of the graphic sex description. If you pick up a Young Adult book .. violence will be more mild and if there is sex in the story you question why it's in the young adult section.

- Purpura -
   -Lore-

MaggieW

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2008, 10:11:03 PM »

I usually look at the summary first, then if it catches me, I check the rating.  I stay away from anything that says "Graphic Sexual Content," or graphic-anything, I think, no matter how interesting the story seems; unless it's an old favorite.
"What's life without a few dragons?" Ron - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (movie)

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day which says, 'I will try again tomorrow.' - Author Unknown

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you."  ~Ray Bradbury
Pages: 1 2 [3]