Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fanfic Warnings?  (Read 6287 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Fanfic Warnings?
« on: February 20, 2008, 03:39:17 PM »

Hey, here's a little discussion that's fun. lol

So I was updating that I changed my countries names and some news and things, and I looked at the first page and was eyeing the warnings on all the stories. There was one that had "Graphic Violence, Graphic Sexual Content, and Sexual Assualt/Rape" and I thought to myself that I would probably never read a story with all three of those warnings...

(I should point out that PBox's warnings are Graphic Violence and Death... I chose graphic violence because I figure, if Nick gets in fights and then spends half his time bloodied up in the story, then graphic is king of the right choice....)

Anyway, I scrolled down and there was another one that had both "Graphic Sexual Content and Mild Sexual Content" as a warning. And I thought, is that really necessary? lol I mean, if you're already warning people about the graphic stuff, do they really need to be warned about the mild stuff? In my case, Nick gets in a fight and is oozing blood because of something nasty... Say a hole in his abdomen. ;) Let's call that graphic viloence... Then later he punches someone in the face. Let's call that mild violence. If I already warned everyone about the gaping wounds, do I really need to warn them about the punch to the face? lol Maybe that was my question...

Anyway, what I really did want to discuss was whether or not warnings influenced if you'll read a piece. :) And that was a long rambly way of asking it. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: Fanfic Warnings?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 03:47:15 PM »

Warning don't really influence me or turn me away from anything.  If something looks like it's promising, either from the summary or the first couple of chapters, I'll probably continue to read it.

What you said about not warning people about mild violence/sexual content if there's already a graphic warning makes sense.  Why put both there?  Because if you already have graphic stuff, chances are you're going to have some mild stuff...hmm..

When I was posting one of my stories originally, I was kind of hesitant to put the Death warning, just because my big surprise ending is that the main character dies (Aren't I nice?) so I was kind of iffy on putting that there... in the end I think I did, but it kind of worried me because I didn't want to give away too much, you know?
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 04:11:54 PM »

Warnings don't really make me decide whether to read it or not but I do chuckle often when I read the warnings. For me it's about the summary first and foremost.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 04:26:28 PM »

^ agreed.  I don't even know if I read the warnings listed. And I also agree with Saka. If you have graphic violence then you don't have to put mild violence, its a given. I think you just have both options so that you can put mild if that's all you have.

I also had the same problem with NYACS. I didn't want to put death/sexual assault and rape because I didn't want people knowing that was what was going to happen. I think I did anyway and I even warned my readers that the one specific chapter got really graphic so skip it if its not your thing. but yeah, sometimes I think a rating "PG" "PG-13" "R"  etc should be enough of a warning and I don't think the individual warnings are necessary.

I do, however, like the slash warnings because I have absolutely no desire to read about the boys falling in love with each other. Having gay guys/girls in your stories is one thing, but not telling your readers that your story is a slash is mean. lol.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 05:55:51 PM »

Warnings aren't a big deal to me either; I don't really look at them.  If the story is good, then I can take whatever comes with it.  A good example is "Signal to Noise" by Bobbi (not on AC, but I'm sure a lot of you have heard of it - it's a classic).  I'm not one of those Bobbi superfans; that's the only story of hers I've read and really enjoyed, and it has a lot of graphic, uncomfortable stuff in it, but it's such a great suspense story that it doesn't matter.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 06:04:05 PM »

^ uncomfortable is the understatment of the year! lol

and I have to say, I haven't seen many slash fics. I wonder if that trend has died down. I remember when that was the 'in' thing to do.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 06:04:46 PM »

I don't think I actually put death until people started dying. lol I mean, you only need to warn people about what's already in there, right? lol

Maybe I'm just weird then. lol I think the only reason I took notice of the first story I mentioned at all was because the name "Renee" was in the summary. lol The violence thing doesn't really bug me... Obviously. It's the "Graphic Sex" thing I'm not a fan of.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 06:05:45 PM »

and I have to say, I haven't seen many slash fics. I wonder if that trend has died down. I remember when that was the 'in' thing to do.

I'd say the trend has died down because the boy band trend has died down. lol Now the girls have fictional characters from Japan to fantasize about. lmao

And I only say it cuz it's true.
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 06:07:47 PM »

there should be a this is a stupid story warning or... this story will never be finished so don't bother reading it or... this story relies only on it's banners. It has no substance or... this story will change titles a thousand times or... lol

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 06:08:08 PM »

lol Now the girls have fictional characters from Japan to fantasize about. lmao
And I only say it cuz it's true.

So very true.  Anime fandom scares me sometimes lol
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 06:10:07 PM »

there should be a this is a stupid story warning or... this story will never be finished so don't bother reading it or... this story relies only on it's banners. It has no substance or... this story will change titles a thousand times or... lol

How about a "Mary Sue" warning lable? lmao "Complete Unrealistic sex life" is a warning lable that would get put to use as well. ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's at least a couple of my stories I would like "This story will never be finished" for... :(
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 06:11:14 PM »

So very true.  Anime fandom scares me sometimes lol

I can say with confidence that that is an understatement as well. lmao
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 06:12:10 PM »

ooh yes, a Mary Sue warning would be grand lol

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2008, 06:13:54 PM »

ooh yes, a Mary Sue warning would be grand lol

Can the three of you implement something so that Moderators could put warning lables like that one stories? lmao
~*Dee*~

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2008, 06:16:24 PM »

lmao I think there would be a lot of unhappy people if we did that. Especially me. I think Jullily has more reading patience than I do.

Pages: [1] 2 3