Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: What's next for us?  (Read 27141 times)

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
Re: What's next for us?
« Reply #60 on: January 06, 2007, 09:48:19 PM »

I've thought about it, but I just don't have as much time anymore.

I actually had another awards site that I ran with a couple of friends called the Undiscovered Gem Awards, which we started purposely to award stories that were not the popular ones that won awards everywhere else.  We specified that you could only be nominated if you hadn't won any or more than 2-3 awards (I don't remember what the actual number was).  Whatever it was, we did it just to eliminate those authors from nominating themselves LOL.  And we judged everything ourselves.  It was great, and we had planned on doing another season, but then the two of them got busy, and so did I, and it kinda fell through.  I would love to run that one again, but I just haven't had time for another project.

I think that's a REALLY awesome idea Julie! So many great stories go undiscovered cuz they are overshadowed by the hype of other stories. As a reader I've always been wary of "overhyped" fics that everyone else seems to gush over. I guess maybe I expect too much? Anyway my favorite stories have been those "diamond in the rough" type.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #61 on: January 06, 2007, 10:44:34 PM »

The Undiscovered Gem Awards were a great idea because there is so much talent out there waiting to be found. I wanted to do something like that for FFF, but I never got around to it and I think at that point I was so over the whole awards thing and how people would react to them that I was afriad to even go there.

Awards are a very tricky thing and no matter what, you're not going to please everybody. Those anti awards sites really drained all the fun out of fanfic awards for me lol they were horrid! I'm glad those days are over.

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #62 on: January 06, 2007, 10:52:03 PM »

Awards can be a good or bad thing depending on how they're handled.

I think doing one like that is a great idea, because I've noticed also that there a lot of people out there that only go for stories that have a lot of hype surrounding them, because theyre sure to be "amazing" or something. And some of them are, but others are cliched teenyness. So I don't know.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #63 on: January 06, 2007, 11:11:10 PM »

I think that's a REALLY awesome idea Julie! So many great stories go undiscovered cuz they are overshadowed by the hype of other stories. As a reader I've always been wary of "overhyped" fics that everyone else seems to gush over. I guess maybe I expect too much? Anyway my favorite stories have been those "diamond in the rough" type.

Exactly!!  I mean, some of those overhyped fics are on my favorites list too because they're truly good stories - they're overhyped for a reason.  They may not be everyone's cup of tea, storyline- or genre-wise, but you can't deny they're well-written stories.  But so many others, I've tried to read and just been like, "Eh..." or even "Huh??"  I guess I'm kinda picky too, and when they're that overhyped, I expect them to deliver too.  I love the diamond in the rough stories and authors too; those awards were fun to run. :)

~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #64 on: January 06, 2007, 11:31:10 PM »

Exactly!!  I mean, some of those overhyped fics are on my favorites list too because they're truly good stories - they're overhyped for a reason.  They may not be everyone's cup of tea, storyline- or genre-wise, but you can't deny they're well-written stories.  But so many others, I've tried to read and just been like, "Eh..." or even "Huh??"  I guess I'm kinda picky too, and when they're that overhyped, I expect them to deliver too.  I love the diamond in the rough stories and authors too; those awards were fun to run. :)

Yup, I agree lol I do love a lot of the overhyped stories but there are quite a few I just kind of go 'and why do people like this again?' LOL i'm the same way with movies too though. I'm probably the only person in the universe that kept saying "Die already!!" during the Notebook. lol

I have issues!  :P :-[
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2007, 11:33:47 PM »

Yup, I agree lol I do love a lot of the overhyped stories but there are quite a few I just kind of go 'and why do people like this again?' LOL i'm the same way with movies too though. I'm probably the only person in the universe that kept saying "Die already!!" during the Notebook. lol

I have issues!  :P :-[

I was the weirdo that decided to laugh during LOTR when the trees started walking. I was so disappointed that they didn't step on anyone.
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2007, 11:36:50 PM »

I was the weirdo that decided to laugh during LOTR when the trees started walking. I was so disappointed that they didn't step on anyone.

and i'm the weirdo that still has yet to see it! lmao but now I might have to. Walking trees eh?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2007, 11:44:13 PM »

LOL I would probably laugh too!  I've only seen the first LOTR, and the whole time, I kept wanting to ask my friend, "When is this going to be over?"   Only then it did end, and I was like, "Huh??" cause the end was so abrupt!  Granted, I knew I was supposed to lead into two more sequels, but still.  I'm not really into fantasy though, except Harry Potter and Star Wars.  I read "The Hobbit" in 8th grade because I had to, and it wasn't bad once I got into it, but I've never really had the urge to curl up with the rest of the series either.

I laughed at the end of the second Matrix movie too... and I also hadn't seen any of those movies until a few years ago, when my college friends made me watch them.  I still haven't seen the third one.

I do love The Notebook and Titanic and those kinds of movies, but I hate romantic comedies.  Not ALL of them - I like My Best Friend's Wedding and The Wedding Singer - but most of the other ones I've seen are just cheesy and predictable and pointless.  If I want to see a comedy, I'll watch Billy Madison or something - forget the romance.  And if I want to see a romance, I'll watch a drama-filled tearjerker where comedy is only comic relief.  And I know that makes me weird, cause the romantic comedies are the ones all my girl friends wanna go see LOL.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:46:08 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2007, 11:46:38 PM »

and i'm the weirdo that still has yet to see it! lmao but now I might have to. Walking trees eh?

That's the second one. And unless you are a huge fan of the books, don't bother.

I was dragged; hence why I amused myself with the idea of walking trees stepping on people.

In fact... I'll save you the trouble of seeing it.... Lord Of The Rings
~*Dee*~

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #69 on: January 06, 2007, 11:49:36 PM »

LOL I would probably laugh too!  I've only seen the first LOTR, and the whole time, I kept wanting to ask my friend, "When is this going to be over?"   Only then it did end, and I was like, "Huh??" cause the end was so abrupt!  Granted, I knew I was supposed to lead into two more sequels, but still.  I'm not really into fantasy though, except Harry Potter and Star Wars.  I read "The Hobbit" in 8th grade because I had to, and it wasn't bad once I got into it, but I've never really had the urge to curl up with the rest of the series either.

I laughed at the end of the second Matrix movie too... and I also hadn't seen any of those movies until a few years ago, when my college friends made me watch them.  I still haven't seen the third one.

I do love The Notebook and Titanic and those kinds of movies, but I hate romantic comedies.  Not ALL of them - I like My Best Friend's Wedding and The Wedding Singer - but most of the other ones I've seen are just cheesy and predictable and pointless.  If I want to see a comedy, I'll watch Billy Madison or something - forget the romance.  And if I want to see a romance, I'll watch a drama-filled tearjerker where comedy is only comic relief.  And I know that makes me weird, cause the romantic comedies are the ones all my girl friends wanna go see LOL.

Leonardo DiCaprio.... *cue drooling smiley*

I'm not really a genre person when it comes to movies... My two favorite movies are: Titanic (Romance of romances) and The Labrinyth (Cult 80s movie). :D
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #70 on: January 06, 2007, 11:52:52 PM »

Leonardo DiCaprio.... *cue drooling smiley*

I'm not really a genre person when it comes to movies... My two favorite movies are: Titanic (Romance of romances) and The Labrinyth (Cult 80s movie). :D

LOL same here... Titanic is my absolute favorite movie, and Team America: World Police is probably my second favorite LOL.  I love horror movies, raunchy comedies, epic historical romantic dramas, anything starring Leonardo DiCaprio except Total Eclipse, Disney movies, Harry Potter and Star Wars but not LOTR or Matrix...   I'm pretty random too.
~Julie

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #71 on: January 06, 2007, 11:54:16 PM »

LOL same here... Titanic is my absolute favorite movie, and Team America: World Police is probably my second favorite LOL.  I love horror movies, raunchy comedies, epic historical romantic dramas, anything starring Leonardo DiCaprio except Total Eclipse, Disney movies, Harry Potter and Star Wars but not LOTR or Matrix...   I'm pretty random too.

Me toos! :o
~*Dee*~

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #72 on: January 06, 2007, 11:56:57 PM »

Me toos! :o

You have excellent taste then. ;D   He's my absolute favorite actor; I own almost every movie he's made, although I've slacked a little with his latest ones.  I still need to see The Departed and Blood Diamond... hard to get anyone to go see them with me in the theater, and I won't go to movies alone. :(   I'll rent them. :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 11:58:47 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #73 on: January 06, 2007, 11:59:06 PM »

LMAO at the parody!!!

That was excellent.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #74 on: January 07, 2007, 12:01:51 AM »

You have excellent taste then. ;D   He's my absolute favorite actor; I own almost every movie he's made, although I've slacked a little with his latest ones.  I still need to see The Departed and Blood Diamond... hard to get anyone to go see them with me in the theater, and I won't go to movies alone. :(   I'll rent them. :)

Come to Colorado and we can see them together. ;)
~*Dee*~

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6