Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Let's ring in the new year with some praise!  (Read 23053 times)

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
Let's ring in the new year with some praise!
« on: December 31, 2008, 12:38:13 AM »

I'm not sure what to call this thread, but basically, it's officially the last day of 2008, and I thought this would be a nice chance for us to lift ourselves and each other up with some well-deserved praise.  This thread is part Author Inquisition, part Shameless Plugs, and part survey.  Here are the questions for your consideration. ..

1.  What was your biggest writing- or fanfic-related accomplishment of 2008?

2.  What do you feel was the best piece of writing you did this year?  It can be a whole story or just a certain chapter or scene.  Give us a link or, if it's a really short excerpt (like a paragraph), post it here.

3.  Which of your own stories are you most proud of, and why?  (This doesn't have to be one written in 2008).

4.  Give us a link to one of your own stories that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed, and tell us why you think it's worthy of being read.

5.  Switching over to praise for other writers, give us a link to someone ELSE'S story that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed.  Again, tell us why you think this story is worthy of being read.

6.  What was the best story you discovered in 2008?  Provide a link, and tell why you liked it.

7.  Name an AC author who impressed you this year (with their writing, their updating, whatever it may be LOL), and tell us why.

8.  Do you have any writing- or fanfic-related resolutions for 2009?  If so, what are they?

I thought of sort of a challenge to go along with this thread, but I'll wait and see how many responses it gets before I post that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:48:01 AM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
Re: Let's ring in the new year with some praise!
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:44:47 AM »

take pity on us westerners huh... It's not official for me or Reb yet!  :P
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:47:03 AM »

LOL sorry.  You can answer the questions anyway... it's close enough! ;)
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 01:20:52 AM »

1.  What was your biggest writing- or fanfic-related accomplishment of 2008? Um, well I'd have to say writing Being Jamie Baker was my biggest accomplishment this year. It was my first absolutely 100% original fiction, and without having the boys to draw from I was surprised at what a challenge it was. I can usually write a novel in 4-6 months, Jamie took me over 8.

2.  What do you feel was the best piece of writing you did this year?  It can be a whole story or just a certain chapter or scene.  Give us a link or, if it's really short excerpt (like a paragraph), post it here.Again I'm going to go with Jamie Baker on this one. I think my writing in Fan Friction has it's moments, but as an overall story I think Jamie pulls you in and keeps you there up until the end. (At least I really hope so!)  http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2500230/1/Being_Jamie_Baker

3.  Which of your own stories are you most proud of, and why?  (This doesn't have to be one written in 2008). This is super hard because I'm proud of a lot of my stories for a lot of different reasons. I guess I'd say If We Were A Movie because not only do I still just love it too pieces, it got such a great response and was nominated for a few fiction press awards. People got really attached to my characters in that one and that always makes me proud.

4.  Give us a link to one of your own stories that you feel is undiscovered or under-appreciated, and tell us why you think it's worthy of being read.Ooh, I'd def say In The Shadows!! I am in love with this fic! My amazing co-writer Sarah just blows my socks off, and I think that the two of us together just make each other reach our potential a lot of the time. We also come up with some great stuff because two heads are better than one. This one isn't read all that much because we don't update enough, but it's soooo fun. It's Brian as Batman! But the other guys are all in it enough that it has those great "group moments" too. Anyway, it may very well be my favorite of all my stories and I think that's because Sarah's beautiful angst balances out all my sarcastic fluff rather nicely. http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8626

5.  Switching over to praise for other writers, give us a link to someone ELSE'S story that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed.  Again, tell us why you think this story is worthy of being read.  Ooh, this is super easy!

My Mind's Eye by your_ill_july
Summary: "Lonely is a man without love."
Suffering through a seemingly loveless marriage, and a lack of friends writer Nick Carter finds himself a desperate man, alone in a crowd and looking for something to fill the voids in his life. When Alaina swings into his world, she turns it upside down.
http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8872&warning=4

This story is just written so beautifully and is extremely captivating and easy to relate to! I fell in love by the end of chapter one and will wait patiently for each and every update. It's hardly read at all because it's this authors only posted story and it's an AU about just Nick, but I promise it's so worth the read!!!   

6.  What was the best story you discovered in 2008?  Provide a link, and tell why you liked it. This would have to be the same as the question above. Seriously, beautiful fic!!! One of my favorites!! Oh, and another one that was started this year called Call Of Darkness by Monkeyabu and Starry Eyes is off to a good start. http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewuser.php?uid=319 There's only three chapters of this one so far, but it's well written and it makes me wonder what is going to happen, so I often find myself wondering when they are going to update. Not that many stories on AC do that for me anymore.

7.  Name an AC author who impressed you this year (with their writing, their updating, whatever it may be LOL), and tell us why.Um, I'd say Erika(Kevmylove) definitely impressed me this year. I'd read some of her earlier stuff, but when I read Sinister Devotion, I was really surprised at how far she's come as a writer. I can see a ton of progress! Not to mention, that I really, really enjoy the story! It's very unique, and AJ(or I should say Jack) is such a fascinating character. Mad props to you hun, you deserve it! 

8.  Do you have any writing- or fanfic-related resolutions for 2009?  If so, what are they? Well I am going to take my original fiction and do my bestest to find an agent this year. Bring on the rejection letters!! lol Keep your fingers crossed for me!  I also would like to finish at least Fan Friction this year, and I'm still in the air about this sci-fi I started when I got stuck. I may write that one too... But I don't really have any intentions to write any new fan fic, so I'd like to make the goal to finish up as much of the in-progress stories I've got going as I can. Hopefully I'll find my motivation again, but after this year, it's just not necessarily looking that way, so we'll see.

If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2008, 07:41:46 AM »

aww yay a survey! I love these things!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 09:52:02 AM »

I've started reading that story 'My Mind's Eye' and you are right, it's fantastic!

I'll have a think about what to answer for the survey though  :)

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2008, 11:30:48 AM »

I've started reading that story 'My Mind's Eye' and you are right, it's fantastic!

I'll have a think about what to answer for the survey though  :)

aww, YAY! That story deserves love!  ;D

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2008, 11:49:40 AM »

I haven't read all of it, but I agree - that writer is really talented!
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2008, 11:51:52 AM »

4.  Give us a link to one of your own stories that you feel is undiscovered or under-appreciated, and tell us why you think it's worthy of being read.Ooh, I'd def say In The Shadows!! I am in love with this fic! My amazing co-writer Sarah just blows my socks off, and I think that the two of us together just make each other reach our potential a lot of the time. We also come up with some great stuff because two heads are better than one. This one isn't read all that much because we don't update enough, but it's soooo fun. It's Brian as Batman! But the other guys are all in it enough that it has those great "group moments" too. Anyway, it may very well be my favorite of all my stories and I think that's because Sarah's beautiful angst balances out all my sarcastic fluff rather nicely. http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8626

I kinda forgot you guys were writing this story... I'll have to check it out!  I wasn't so sure the superhero stuff was up my alley, but I have gotten caught up on my Batman lately, with The Dark Knight coming out, so I'm probably in the right mood for it.  Plus, who doesn't love Brian being all hot and angsty and vigilanteish, right?  LOL
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2008, 11:56:21 AM »

LOL Julie that is a wonderful question. I don't know who wouldn't love that. Plus it's a lot about him being the Avenging Angel, but it's kind of more about The FBI lady investigating him, but falling for him at the same time, so while yes, it kind of is a super-hero story, he still doesn't have any super powers, so it isn't too much super-hero for those who don't like that kind of thing. At least I don't think it is...  But thanks hun! I'd be excited if you checked it out and I know Sarah would too!  Oh, and speaking of Sarah, I totally get to meet her today!!! YAY I'm super excited!

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »

I'm not the only one who's going to answer this am I? Julie, you made it up... Where's your answers????

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2008, 12:00:37 PM »

Yay for meeting Sarah!  You can talk shop in person... among other things LOL.  Yeah, I'm going to answer.
~Julie

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2008, 12:01:07 PM »

I am almost done with mine.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2008, 12:16:52 PM »

I would have to say actually finishing The Thirteenth Step. I was in such a negative fanfic writing place this year and really wanted to quit altogether and truthfully still do, but even feeling that way I decided to crack down and finish the story and I'm so glad I did. I plan on finishing off the other two I'm working on before the end of the school year.

2.  What do you feel was the best piece of writing you did this year?  It can be a whole story or just a certain chapter or scene.  Give us a link or, if it's a really short excerpt (like a paragraph), post it here.

I would say A Day in the Life of a Lima Bean would probably be the best thing I have written this year even though it's almost more than a year old.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8674&chapter=2

3.  Which of your own stories are you most proud of, and why?  (This doesn't have to be one written in 2008).

This is a tough one because like Kelly said, for the most part I'm proud of most of my stuff for different reasons and the answer to this question will probably change from day to day. I have to say it's a tie between two of them. Season's of Change (The second story of Mel's Tree) and Shadow Woods.

Season's because I just feel like it was the best writing I've done to date. Most of that story came from my heart and overall it seemed to really touch people way more than anything I've ever written before.

Shadow Woods because it really flowed nicely and seemed to really surprise people with the twist it took at the end. I love surprising people like that.

4.  Give us a link to one of your own stories that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed, and tell us why you think it's worthy of being read.

I don't know if any of my stuff is really undiscovered but because I started writing such a long time ago there are a lot of stories I wrote earlier on that I feel like a lot of the newer people don't even know exist. Not to sound full of myself lol but I think most of them are worthy of checking out. I feel like some of that stuff is much better than the stuff I'm writing now because I had more passion for writing fanfics at the time. But if I had to pick one...hrmm I guess I'd go with Separate Ways. It's the only time I've written a totally fictitious family around the real life boys. Nick's family was completely fabricated and in that process I fell in love with the older brother I created for him. It's probably the only story where I've had a female co-lead in as well and chapters where it was just the brother and the girl and nothing about the boys at all. I guess it's the furthest from a me story you could get but yet I think it's a very me story at the same time.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=692

I don't plug myself all that often but if you are looking for totally BSB centered stuff to read like the old days of fanfic, check out my earlier stuff. Okay enough about me...what do YOU think about me? lmao
  :P

5.  Switching over to praise for other writers, give us a link to someone ELSE'S story that you feel is undiscovered or underappreciat ed.  Again, tell us why you think this story is worthy of being read.

Again, this is a tough one because I haven't really read all that much lately but an oldie but a goodie that I hope people would check out is a short story called The One With Nick by Mersey. Everyone knows she's one of my favorite authors (and people) but this story kind of sums up why. It's simple with so many layers and so beautifully written. I hope you guys check it out.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=2128

6.  What was the best story you discovered in 2008?  Provide a link, and tell why you liked it.

I am very sad to say that not only has my passion for writing waned over the years but my passion for reading has as well. There aren't that many stories I've read over the past few years but I can say the one I did discover this year and found I really am enjoying when it's updated (Which isn't very often) is Thicker Than Blood by Rebellious One. Whenever I can find a summary that has me intrigued enough to actually open the story it's always a bonus but, then the plot just kind of sucked me in. It's a very unique story with a lot of action and twists and turns. Plus, I always have a soft spot for fics where the boys are brothers as long as it's well written.

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8918

7.  Name an AC author who impressed you this year (with their writing, their updating, whatever it may be LOL), and tell us why.

I would have to say Kelly has impressed me with her writing overall this year. That would be Honey. She knows I haven't read a whole lot by her because the stories she writes aren't usually the kind I will read, but what I admired most about her is how she allowed herself to step so far out of her comfort zone to try new things. She wrote original fics, different fandoms and started a suspense which showed her true talent for diversity. I think that takes guts and real passion for writing. Kudos to her!

8.  Do you have any writing- or fanfic-related resolutions for 2009?  If so, what are they?

I guess like I said earlier, my goal is to finish the two fanfics I'm currently working on and then to really focus my attention on my original fics. Lima has been calling my name but I've been ignoring her, mostly because I'm scared to just jump out there and do it.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2008, 12:33:43 PM »

Of 2008? lol Um...Oh to start turning a fanfic into Original Fiction. It's further along than I've ever posted. It's been a long time since I've done OF so it feels good to convert a story to that just to see if I can. It's not done yet, but I'm happy with what it is so far.

The best? I would probably say Born To Be. I feel that idea is really one of my better ones, plus I managed to keep Nick a BSB which I don't do very often lol.
http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8954

00Carter. It's not completely mine, but it's totally taken on a life of it's own. It's diverse, it has interesting characters, it's got action and it's hilarious. So I'm very proud of what a random line about Nick and hot cocoa turned into.

Of my own? I'd say Born To Be. It doesn't get a lot of attention. It's fantasy sure, but it's also an interesting story basically all about possibilities and destiny once it gets deep enough. The boys are still BSB but not in the way you'd expect them to be.

Someone else's story...
It hasn't been updated in awhile, but I discovered this cute story called "Calling Nick Devine". It's an original twist on a guardian angel story. Only two chapters in, but I really liked a new take on an overdone plot line.

http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=9200

http://www.absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=8904

How to Save A Life. I'm wishing this was updated more. It's inspired by a Nickelback music video, but to turn the whole thing in a story so Nick could save people to keep his own life span going? Very new fanfic concept.

Julie. This already awesome writer who rocks at anything romance or medical related, surprised me with ideas we came up with not only for a new project between her, me, and Dee...but with 00Carter in general. She swears she's not good with sci-fi but brainstorms a whole sci-fi episode and does her parts quite well. Then she turns around and does that horror challenge that was so well written and flowed nicely that I was really impressed. She keeps saying she's not that versatile, but from what I've seen, she doesn't realize how well rounded she really is.

To finish Divisions of Reality. It's getting close to the end lol, so I'd love to finish it. Finish Rehab. To post my new collab project eventually.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 12:37:08 PM by Rose »
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury
Pages: [1] 2 3 4