Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Personal experience nonfiction anyone? lol.  (Read 11225 times)

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Fool, said my Muse, look in thy heart and write
    • Could You Do Me Right?
Re: Personal experience nonfiction anyone? lol.
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2008, 09:16:23 PM »

Well, the only thing that was really challenging to me was the "Boundaries" had to be twenty-five pages for an assugnment. lol So there was a bit of stretching involved... I don't know if you've read it, but I guess it's mainly about the "boundaries" between my actual best friend and I--though I changed all the names in the story. And I guess when it's something not really concrete, it's hard. I can only base it off of my feelings, so I think that's what makes it difficult. lol Whereas, when you're going for fiction, you can take any person's feelings and make them up....
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

From "And Now, Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2008, 09:24:23 PM »

No, I haven't read it, but I can see what you mean. That does sound like it would be kind of difficult. A good challenge though! :D Ignore me.
~ Amy.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2008, 09:54:21 PM »

I figured not. lol :P

I think the other thing about writing about your own life is you're leaving yourself ope to any sort of feelings or criticism... It can be hard... And you may not always know the right way to tell the story... If you can do it justice. I think that's the problem with writing about your own life--what's important to you, may only be important to you...

I don't know what I really wanted to say anymore. lol
~*Dee*~

People think it would be fun to be a bird because you could fly. But they forget the negative side, which is the preening.

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2008, 10:10:11 PM »

:D Memory problems? I have those, lol.

I don't know... Personally, I'm writing this story for ME. Not for anyone else. I mean, I don't even know if I'll bother showing anyone or not. If I do, then I do. I don't really care what other people think. I'm just writing what happened, and I can't help it if someone doesn't like it. It's real, it happened, I can't change it, and that's life. :D

Though I suppose it could be embarrassing if somebody just plain thought it was stupid... *shrugs* Beats me if I know.
~ Amy.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2008, 10:40:15 PM »

No, I'm sick. :(

Writing for yourself is important though. :) And... yup, still can't remember.

Cherrios.
~*Dee*~

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2008, 11:54:33 PM »

Aww, I'm sorry. :( Hope you feel better soon, because being sick sucks.

Well, I figured I'd want something to be able to look back on to remember this trip with my youth group, so I thought a story would be a good way to do it. :)
~ Amy.

nicksgal

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Could You Do Me Right?
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 01:20:26 AM »

Aw, I feel mostly fine.... I just can't talk. lol Which is unfortunate as heck, but you know... lol

Yeah, a story is a good way to remember. :) I have a journal for that. lol
~*Dee*~

MonkeyAbu

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2008, 09:27:36 AM »

I've never actually written a story based on any of my real life experiences as a whole, but like others on here have said, I've used bits and pieces of real experiences and incorporated them into stories, more specifically in "If Tomorrow Never Comes" and more specifically then that, the feelings that Brian is experiencing. I've channeled alot of his emotions from the emotions I experienced over the two years I watched my grandma die from cancer. I think it kinda acts as a coping tool, if that makes any sense. For me personally, I have a really hard time opening up about what I am feeling inside. My favorite thing to say when someone asks me what is wrong is, "Nothing." Yeah, I know, that's a common thing to say when asked that, but I say it even when I'm completely desperate to really express what's going on inside my mind. And still, I hate change and I've yet to fully accept the fact of what happened with my grandma and it's been almost two years. Guess I have acceptance issues :-\? So incorporating a crap load of my own emotions into ITNC has worked as a bit of a coping tool for me. Sometimes it can be easy to write all of that out, especially when you are writing your own real life experiences, yet at the same time it can be extremely difficult. Overall, it can be both a positive and a negative.

MellzBellz

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2008, 12:07:37 PM »

Ah, so you're writing fiction based on reality, am I correct? In some ways, I almost think it would be more difficult to do that than it is to actually write nonfiction experiences... That's just me though. Sounds like it works out really well for you. :)

Ehh I really don't find it too hard because I like writing a lot of angsty dramas with a lil dash of romance in there and quite frankly I live a pretty boring life, so if I were to write a story strictly based on experience it would bore you to tears. I like incoporating some of my personal experiences with fictional situations to spice them up a little bit. It's definitely not AS hard as you think. Just requires a good imagination I guess.

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »

^  I guess that's how I do it too.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »

^ Ditto.  My life is also too boring to base entire stories solely on personal experience (which is probably a good thing, considering the kind of stories I like to write LOL), but I sometimes fictionalize experiences that have happened to me or people I know.  Most of what I write is 100% fiction though.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2008, 07:46:35 PM »

Aw, I feel mostly fine.... I just can't talk. lol Which is unfortunate as heck, but you know... lol

Yeah, a story is a good way to remember. :) I have a journal for that. lol

LOL See, like I said, Julie's forum IS my journal. Most people over there don't even reply to my posts in my thread anymore. Probably because they've gotten tired of me posting EVERY LITTLE DETAIL, lol. But I post every detail because it's my journal. Doesn't really matter if people post there or not to me, lol.
~ Amy.

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2008, 07:48:26 PM »

I've never actually written a story based on any of my real life experiences as a whole, but like others on here have said, I've used bits and pieces of real experiences and incorporated them into stories, more specifically in "If Tomorrow Never Comes" and more specifically then that, the feelings that Brian is experiencing. I've channeled alot of his emotions from the emotions I experienced over the two years I watched my grandma die from cancer. I think it kinda acts as a coping tool, if that makes any sense. For me personally, I have a really hard time opening up about what I am feeling inside. My favorite thing to say when someone asks me what is wrong is, "Nothing." Yeah, I know, that's a common thing to say when asked that, but I say it even when I'm completely desperate to really express what's going on inside my mind. And still, I hate change and I've yet to fully accept the fact of what happened with my grandma and it's been almost two years. Guess I have acceptance issues :-\? So incorporating a crap load of my own emotions into ITNC has worked as a bit of a coping tool for me. Sometimes it can be easy to write all of that out, especially when you are writing your own real life experiences, yet at the same time it can be extremely difficult. Overall, it can be both a positive and a negative.

Aww, well at least you can express your feelings through writing! For many people, writing is definitely a vent for them. And it sounds like it's helped you quite a bit. :)
~ Amy.

A-RokzStalker

• Commander of Confusion
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2008, 07:52:08 PM »

Ehh I really don't find it too hard because I like writing a lot of angsty dramas with a lil dash of romance in there and quite frankly I live a pretty boring life, so if I were to write a story strictly based on experience it would bore you to tears. I like incoporating some of my personal experiences with fictional situations to spice them up a little bit. It's definitely not AS hard as you think. Just requires a good imagination I guess.
^  I guess that's how I do it too.
^ Ditto.  My life is also too boring to base entire stories solely on personal experience (which is probably a good thing, considering the kind of stories I like to write LOL), but I sometimes fictionalize experiences that have happened to me or people I know.  Most of what I write is 100% fiction though.

LOL All you people claim to have boring lives (or something of the sort), but I'll bet you that your lives aren't as boring as you put them out to be!

For instance, Julie! (you're the one I really know, so I'll use you as an example ;)) You teach at an elementary school!! There MUST be something you could write with that! I mean, even if it's completely different from what you normally write! Actually... what about the kid that moved away that had the twitching problems? There's medical stuff in that, lol.

*shrugs* Everybody has SOMETHING in their life worth writing about.
~ Amy.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2008, 08:11:31 PM »

LOL All you people claim to have boring lives (or something of the sort), but I'll bet you that your lives aren't as boring as you put them out to be!

For instance, Julie! (you're the one I really know, so I'll use you as an example ;)) You teach at an elementary school!! There MUST be something you could write with that! I mean, even if it's completely different from what you normally write! Actually... what about the kid that moved away that had the twitching problems? There's medical stuff in that, lol.

*shrugs* Everybody has SOMETHING in their life worth writing about.

Well yeah, but to me, that's not even interesting enough for a whole story.  Maybe something to include in a story with a bigger plot, sure, but I wouldn't be interested in writing a whole story about it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling
Pages: 1 [2] 3