Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: My Sister's Keeper :O)  (Read 7700 times)

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
Re: My Sister's Keeper :O)
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2009, 12:48:59 AM »

Just watched the trailer (youtube works for me again, woot! lol, and yeah the casting is so unexpected. I mean Cameron Diaz as the mom? Odd. Love Abigail Breslin though, she's a good actress for her age :).

Campbell, bad choice. So not how I thought he'd be for the movie.

But I'll probably still watch it. Even though I totally disapprove of changing the ending.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Being Jamie Baker Website
« Reply #91 on: May 22, 2009, 12:31:04 PM »

hahaha am I the only  person who was excited to hear that they were changing the ending?
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #92 on: May 22, 2009, 12:48:11 PM »

Yes lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #93 on: June 26, 2009, 10:22:41 PM »

Just wondering if anyone who read the book saw the movie and if you did, what were your thoughts?

I saw it today and thought it was good but I liked the book much much more. I do have to say I was impressed with Cameron Diaz. I never thought she'd be able to pull off the role of the mother but she did a great job.

Even if you dind't read the book, did you like the movie? I think I would have loved the movie if I didn't actually read the book and know how much it changed  lol
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #94 on: June 27, 2009, 09:57:27 AM »

I haven't seen it yet, but I want to.  I'm glad you thought the movie was good even though it's different from the book.  It's too bad they changed so much, but I'm glad it was well cast.  I actually like Cameron Diaz, but she doesn't do too many serious roles, so I'm curious to see her in this as well.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #95 on: June 27, 2009, 10:40:30 AM »

^ I was really blown away by her. I'm not a Cameron Diaz fan AT ALL! and I couldn't picture her as the mom but she did great. So, did the girl who played Kate. She was awesome as well.

Yes, the book and movie were night and day. That's why i'm curious to see what people who have experienced both think.

Kentuckychickrk

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #96 on: June 27, 2009, 11:31:43 AM »

I heard that the movie was much less about Anna and much more about Kate and her story and her life and how it ruined their family.  Too much focus on Kate in other words and not on the plot of the story.  I can imagine it's a good movie without reading the book, but I just don't think I can see it... and knowing how the movie ends just makes me not want to see it even more.

The book was the ultimate in irony for Kate and Anna's mother... who fought so hard to keep one child from dying that she never stopped to think she may lose the other... forever.

I don't want to give away the ending of the movie for those who haven't seen it... but I cannot imagine that it does any justice at all to the ending Jodi Picoult came up with.
-- Rachel --

*And in that line now was a whiskered old man, with a linen cap and a crooked nose, who waited in a place called the Stardust Band Shell to share his part of the secret of Heaven; that each affects the other, and the other affects the next, and the world is full of stories, but the stories are all one.*
-- Mitch Album

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #97 on: June 27, 2009, 01:23:06 PM »

^ Exactly. LOL

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #98 on: June 30, 2009, 04:54:33 PM »

So for us fans who hated the ending of the book? lol

Does that mean I'll like the movie better?  It is sad that they took the focus away from Anna because if I wanted to wanted to see a movie about a little girl with cancer I'd have like a bazillion to choose from. That's not with this story was about. The fact that it was Anna's story and not Kate's is what I loved about the book. Shame they'd waste such a unique plot line. I'll probably wait until it comes out on DVD and rent it.
If Ryan looked at me the wrong way, I lost it. If Ryan looked at me the right way, I lost it. And whenever he tried to kiss me, something usually blew up. Someone ought to teach him a little control.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #99 on: June 30, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »

Well, judging from what you just said, I don't think you'd enjoy the movie because that's basically what it's been reduced to. The real plot of the story is so unimportant that I think Alec Baldwin was on screen maybe for about 15 or twenty minutes throughout the entire movie. It was sad and disappointing. I mean, it was still a good movie but it wasn't My Sister's Keeper. It was more like Mom, I'm going to die so deal with it.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2009, 06:18:56 PM »

I finally watched this movie!  Glad I didn't make it to the theater to see it; if I'm gonna cry over a movie, I'd rather do it alone on my couch in the dark LOL.  I liked it, though.  I thought it fit the book well in most instances.  They did leave some things out, obviously, namely the whole Julia/Campbell subplot (which I didn't care much about in the book anyway) and Jesse's pyromania, but most of the other things I remember from the book were there, and of course they added some things too.

I do veto the change in ending...  Even though I'm still a little torn over how the book ended, it was certainly more interesting and completely unpredictable, albeit even sadder than the movie.  Knowing how it really ends, I found the ending of the movie kind of unsatisfying and just very cliched.  But other than that, I liked the movie.  I thought it was well cast and well acted too.

It did seem like Kate got a lot more screen time than Anna, though, which kind of changed the whole theme and message of the story.  Like Mare said, it seemed more like it was the story of everyone coming to terms with Kate dying, rather than than being so wrapped up in Kate that they ended up losing the other daughter.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 06:20:31 PM by RokofAges75 »
~Julie

honey

• Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #101 on: December 03, 2009, 12:48:14 AM »

I still need to watch this. But if it really is more about Kate than maybe I don't want to. It was the whole Idea of everyone being so obsessed with kate that poor Anna was suffering that was so intriguing.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #102 on: December 03, 2009, 06:24:29 AM »

It was weird, because most of the big stuff I remember from the book was there - except, like I said, a couple of subplots (like Julia) that I'm sure they took out just to simplify it to movie length - so I can't say it didn't follow the book, but it's like it told the story of the book and completely missed the message LOL.  The point of it seemed to be more about Kate accepting that she was going to die and wanting her family, especially Sara, to do the same, rather than Anna's story.  And the way they changed the ending speaks to that - it really changed the whole point of the storyline.
~Julie

LenniluvsBrian

• General Pandemonium
  • You gave me a smile that I will never forget.....
« Reply #103 on: December 03, 2009, 10:40:50 AM »

I've never read the book, but I did enjoy the movie. Despite bawling in the movie theater (along with everyone else there-lol). Though, the ending was rather predictable for me - I knew what was going to happen before it even happened. *shrugs* But, overall, I did enjoy it.

~Lenni~
Concert Tickets: $270
3 BSB T-Shirts: $105
BSB Sweater: $85
Poster & Book: $30
Having Brian grab me & pull me close during sound check: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Train Ticket: $14.95
Bus Fare: $3.50
Marilyn Denis Show Ticket: Free
Nick Carter singing to me on live television: PRICELESS!!!!!!!!!!!!

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #104 on: December 04, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »

It was very predictable (in the movie version).  The book ending is totally different and unexpected, which made it better.  You should definitely read the book at some point!
~Julie

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8