Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FS for July: Time Has a Way by Tri  (Read 8969 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for July: Time Has a Way by Tri
« on: June 30, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »

Happy (almost) July!

This month's featured story is Time Has a Way by Tri. Let's start the ball rolling by reading chapters 1 - 15 by next Sunday. Don't forget to leave any questions or comments for Tri in this thread.

Here is the link to the story:

http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=10826

Happy reading! :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
Re: FS for July: Time Has a Way by Tri
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 09:56:30 PM »

I read this entire story when I was bored out of my mind in a meeting a few months ago, lol. It was a really wonderful distraction! Congrats on your feature, Tri! :)
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 03:55:45 AM »

I don't normally read this kind of story but it was really good. First one I ever read by Tri, I was drawn in by the banner of Nick pictures...he seemed to grow up in front of you. I saw that and once I began reading I was hooked. It was a wonderfully written story :)

Tri

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:24 AM »

I read this entire story when I was bored out of my mind in a meeting a few months ago, lol. It was a really wonderful distraction! Congrats on your feature, Tri! :)
Thanks!!  Glad it could help with your boredom!  :)

Tri

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 09:14:52 AM »

I don't normally read this kind of story but it was really good. First one I ever read by Tri, I was drawn in by the banner of Nick pictures...he seemed to grow up in front of you. I saw that and once I began reading I was hooked. It was a wonderfully written story :)
Thank you!  :)  That means a lot, especially knowing it's not your type.

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 02:39:27 PM »

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one? 

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2012, 10:24:55 PM »

This was one of the first stories of Tri's I've ever read and I quite enjoyed it despite how much I complained about the characters and their idiocy. :)   Congrats Tri!
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

Tri

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2012, 10:27:13 PM »

Thanks for the questions, Mare!  Anyone else - if you have any questions, let me know!  I'm going to be checking periodically throughout the day this week since I'm on vacation from work!  :)

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?
I wrote all of Nick and Lisa's "past" in one night when I couldn't sleep.  I'd had the idea for a while because I wrote a story similar to this one when I was younger.  Since it was AWFUL and cringe-worthy for a lot of reasons, I didn't want to post it and I wanted to change some things in the way I presented the story and about the characters themselves.  I also decided to do all of the background upfront instead of presenting it in flashbacks as I've done in other stories, such as Any Other Way. 

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?
After writing the first 20-something chapters in a sleepless night, the rest of the story took me just under two months.  I tried to keep the story updated daily, but since I was also writing my thesis for my master's at the same time, I didn't always get to write a chapter and post daily.  I'm pretty sure it's the quickest story I've ever written - for some reason, it just really flowed for me.  The characters were natural and worked well together.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.
Is the person who knows you best the best person for you?  Nick and Lisa find out in this intimate history of their ups, downs, and in-betweens.  We meet Nick and Lisa when they’re only teenagers, clumsily losing their virginities to one another and vowing to always be there for one another.  When Nick’s music career, drug problems, and lifestyle choices come into play, can their friendship make it through?  Even further, can they make a romantic relationship last through the good times and the bad?

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one? 
As I mentioned earlier, this story is adapted from a story I wrote years back about Nick and a girl he dated off and on.  With this one, I wanted to make the central relationship a friendship and build upon that foundation and lead it into a relationship.  Even though Nick and Lisa experienced many monumental “couple” moments together, I never wanted to make it just an on-again/off-again relationship with all of that drama.  I wanted to tell a story about two people who really cared for each other through all of the difficulties growing up and becoming an adult.  Even though it wasn’t always the perfect friendship, sometimes completely one-sided, etc, I wanted to show that at the end of the day, they were friends.  That was one of the reasons I decided to change the premise from what I’d written before.  I also wanted to delve deeper into Nick’s drug use and the conflict it had with people who “knew him when” and that sort of thing.  It was a way to push myself, too, since I’ve never really been comfortable putting a lot of drug use in my stories.

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?
Other than Nick and Lisa, I’d have to say AJ was my favorite character in this story.  A lot of times, I used AJ as the comic relief, the “go to” friend, and he really did a lot to help out Nick and Lisa when they were in the midst of hard times. 

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?
I’d have to say that Lisa’s editor, Cheryl, was my least favorite character.  She had no class, no principles…  Just wanted to get a good story and took advantage of the situation Lisa was in to get it.  Sure, that’s part of the job and perhaps Lisa shouldn’t have taken the position in the first place, but I really disliked the type of person Cheryl ended up being.

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?
The Boys were in this one, with the exception of Kevin.  He only made a small appearance during the Backstreet cruise, but other than that, I think I mentioned him only once or twice.  Since it was focused primarily on Nick and Lisa’s relationship alone for a good chunk of the story, then it revolved around a period of time when Kevin wasn’t in the group, he got left out.  I tried to include AJ, Brian, and Howie as I saw fit.

Tri

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2012, 10:28:25 PM »

This was one of the first stories of Tri's I've ever read and I quite enjoyed it despite how much I complained about the characters and their idiocy. :)   Congrats Tri!

Aww, thanks!  Haha, yeah, there were a couple of times that they drove me pretty crazy, too!!  :)

P.S. I haven't forgotten about Forgotten Souls - I promise!  Just haven't been motivated to update it lately...  Urgh...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 03:43:29 PM »

Happy belated fourth of July everyone!

Time to start reading the next set of chapters! Let's read chapters 16 - 30 by next Saturday!

:)

Tri, what has been your favorite thing about writing this story?

Did you find it easy to write this one?

Tri

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 10:34:34 PM »

What has been your favorite thing about writing this story?
I really liked writing this story because it took me on a trip back in time in a lot of ways.  When I was writing the beginning, it was cool to think back to different periods in Backstreet history.  Even though it was fictional, I based a lot of the dates and places on Nick's real tour schedules (whether with the Boys or solo) and on things that really happened in Nick's life.  Even though sometimes I had to go back to check for specifics, it was fun "reliving" the glory days of the Boys!  :)  Some readers even mentioned that they started reading the story just because the banner showed Nick growing up over the years.

Did you find it easy to write this one?
This one came very easily for the most part.  The hardest parts involved trying to base things on facts, but still take creative license with the story line.  Obviously, I embellished some things and changed others to fit the story and the characters, but trying to mesh real life and fiction was sometimes difficult.

I hope some people are reading this month!  Keep the questions coming...  :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2012, 10:13:17 PM »

Hey all!

It's time to start reading the next set of chapters!

Let's read chapters 31 - 50 by next Saturday

:)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2012, 05:35:09 PM »

Have you written a sequel to this story or is it already a sequel if a series? Would you consider making a sequel & if you could make a spin off using one of your characters who would it be?

Who would you pick to play your female lead?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 10:46:43 AM »

Time to read the rest of the story! Let's go from 51 to the end!

Don't forget to pop in and say what you love most about the story and to ask Tri any questions you may have!!

Here's a question for everyone and also you, Tri

What was your favorite scene or line from the story?

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 12:12:51 PM »

I loved the part with that bridge and how Nick proposed. The whole story I was waiting for him to go to niagara falls and do it, but the way he proposed was very sweet :)
Pages: [1] 2