Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47560 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #195 on: October 08, 2012, 05:49:17 PM »

I don't really go by an author's personality when I decide if i'm going to read a story or not. I will be turned off if people threaten not to update unless they get a certain amount of reviews but I haven't ever really read a story where an author has done that. Maybe back in the days of fanfic.net but none of the authors I read are that needy lol

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking for a review at the end of a chapter at all, just don't threaten me!

Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #196 on: October 09, 2012, 05:59:19 PM »

The author's personality isn't usually a factor I take into consideration when deciding whether or not to click on a story or stick with a story I've started, but once in awhile it does have an impact.

If I really enjoy talking to someone on here but have never tried one of their stories for whatever reason, I might be more tempted to check out their work the next time they post something new or even go back to their old stuff that I may have missed.

On the other hand, there have been a handful of authors throughout the years that have turned me off so much with their unpleasant personalities that even if they wrote the kind of stories I liked to read (luckily, none of them have), I wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction of reading their work.

Generally, though, I read whatever sounds good and sucks me in, no matter who wrote it.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
« Reply #197 on: October 11, 2012, 06:31:54 PM »

I actually thought of a pretty good question.

When you go to start a new story, how do you choose which boys are lead characters or backup characters? Do you experiment or do you already have someone in mind when you form the idea?

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #198 on: October 11, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »

That's a good question.  Usually I have a boy in mind when I think of the idea, but if I'm not sure or can't decide, I think about which boy would work best in that role, almost as if I were casting them for the story.

Like for Curtain Call, the idea always felt like a Nick one to me.  Even if I had wanted to use another boy, I don't think the idea would have worked as well for any other guy.  I needed a guy who was "unattached," who could keep that kind of secret, and all the other guys were married and closer to their families than Nick.  All I had to do was have Lauren break up with him to make it seem plausible.

I always had Brian in mind for Secrets of the Heart just because it seemed the most realistic, although if I had waited a few more months to write it, I could have used Nick in that role instead and still felt like there was some basis in reality.  But I'm glad I ended up using Brian because he and AJ, the other main character, are so opposite that they created an interesting juxtaposition that I don't think I could have had if I'd used Nick and AJ or any other combination of Boys.  Also I haven't written as many Brian stories lately, and I feel like I've written a lot of Nick the last few years!

Has anyone ever written a story about one boy and then later thought, "I wish I had written this same story about [different boy]?"
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #199 on: October 11, 2012, 09:32:41 PM »

I will answer my question a bit later.

Forces Of Nature is one story that I am majorly stuck on because I wrote AJ as the main character for a change. It worked well at first but i think the reason I'm so stuck is because AJ has always been a difficult character for me to write. I don't relate to him the way I do to Nick.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
  • Uh oh! We lost Nick again...
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #200 on: October 11, 2012, 09:58:07 PM »

Usually when I have the idea, I have a specific boy in mind. Sometimes I'll think about it and "cast" if I don't have one in my head immediately but usually I do. RMTW was always Nick. I never considered anyone else. I wanted him in his prime, easily unattached so I could steal away the entire life I had ahead of him, and someone who could slip back into bad habits and still be believable. Divine Intervention I guess technically could work for AJ but since Nick really did a complete 180, it fit him better. I've got a Brian story in my head I've been sitting on because it just can't fit anyone else.

I don't think I've written a story where I thought it should be someone else after finishing lol.
Double Rainbow Fiction - So Bright and So Vivid...

"Don't annoy the writer. They may put you in a book and kill you." —Anonymous

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #201 on: October 11, 2012, 09:59:33 PM »

I think I would struggle the same way with a Howie or Kevin story.  I love Howie and Kevin, but I just don't find them as interesting to write about (except in 00Carter).  I love writing AJ better as a supporting character than a main character, but it depends on the story - I have written some stories with AJ as a main character.  I do best when it's Brian or Nick in the lead role.
~Julie

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #202 on: October 11, 2012, 10:02:27 PM »

I don't think I've ever wished I had used a different boy in the lead role, but I do have one idea that I've had on the backburner since 2001 that started out as an AJ BSB story and has since evolved into a Brian AU LOL.  Usually, though, once I decide which guy fits best, I stick with him.
~Julie

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #203 on: October 11, 2012, 10:04:34 PM »

Forces of Nature isn't done yet, I've got 8 chapters posted. I took a hiatus from writing it because I was so stuck.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #204 on: October 11, 2012, 10:05:24 PM »

I hate when that happens. :(
~Julie

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #205 on: October 11, 2012, 10:07:47 PM »

I think I would struggle the same way with a Howie or Kevin story.  I love Howie and Kevin, but I just don't find them as interesting to write about (except in 00Carter).  I love writing AJ better as a supporting character than a main character, but it depends on the story - I have written some stories with AJ as a main character.  I do best when it's Brian or Nick in the lead role.

I think I would too. I mean if Kevin's a main, it's because of his relationship with Nick. AJ if I use him, it's more to use his "bad ass" type side and twist it a little bit for humor or angst depending on the story LOL. I haven't written AJ centered stories beyond one-shots though I have an idea I've had on hold forever. I feel like I write him best as a supporting. Same with Howie, he's best as the under-the-radar pillar of support for Nick.

“I don’t believe in being serious about anything. I think life is too serious to be taken seriously.” —Ray Bradbury

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #206 on: October 11, 2012, 10:08:27 PM »

Honestly, when I think about writing a new fic I very rarely think about casting any boy other than Nick in a lead role. I've always just written about Nick and the one time I tried to write an AJ story I just couldn't get into it. Nick is definitely my favourite to write about, so when I brainstorm for new ideas, I brainstorm for ideas that would work with him.

The only exception was Running Up That Hill and I knew from the beginning that I wanted it to be a group centered story. This is probably part of the reason that it takes so long for me to write that one- because I very rarely get inspired to write about the other boys.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #207 on: October 11, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »

Oh I do too Julie. I was so excited for the idea and completely lost my muse for it. I'm glad it hasn't happened for Finding Carter. I've been cranking out daily updates for it. One day I hope to finish FON one day...although lately I've been thinking about just deleting it completely.

Rose

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Double Rainbow Fiction
« Reply #208 on: October 11, 2012, 10:39:35 PM »

That's one thing I don't do is delete stories. Sometimes people like to reread them - finished or not. I hated when other authors do it so I decided never to do it myself.

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #209 on: October 11, 2012, 10:57:57 PM »

I've deleted stuff before mostly because it was either old and embarrassing, or because I knew I was never going to finish it. I also don't like it when people randomly delete things without warning and I recall when I was going to remove those I gave warning so if anyone actually wanted to save them, they could.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 19