Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember, site banner rules apply here too!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FS for September: Run by emily_ michele  (Read 7677 times)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
FS for September: Run by emily_ michele
« on: September 01, 2013, 03:39:32 AM »

Happy September everyone!

It's time for a new featured author/story and this month it's Emily's "Run"

This is a sequel to her story "Falling In Love Again" but it takes a turn and goes the suspense route.

Here is the link: http://absolutechaos.net/viewstory.php?sid=11128

Feel free to read along or if you are already reading, drop in and ask Emily anything you'd like about this story or any of her others or if you want to just leave a comment, that's okay too!

Happy reading!  :)
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
Re: FS for September: Run by emily_ michele
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 03:54:05 AM »

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one?

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 05:53:08 AM »

Well, you did this bright and early this morning!  I don't know the answers to all of these questions, so I'm probably going to get back to this later this evening after I get off work (when my brain's completely fried instead of incredibly sleepy-- I totally just typed brian instead of brain. lol. Then I did it again!)  If anyone happens upon this before I get the answers to Mare's initial questions typed up, please feel free to discuss/ask anything about anything I've written.  And, this is a bit of a shameless plug, but this is a little something I wrote up last night.  I'd be honored if you read and share: http://bsbmda.blogspot.com

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 06:48:21 AM »

I always do everything bright and early, most of the time even before the 'bright' part happens. LOL

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 01:07:57 PM »

Congrats on being featured, Emily!  It will be interesting discussing Run in here as you're writing it.  I loved Falling in Love Again and am really enjoying Run too, although I need to catch up on the last chapter you posted.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »

Congrats Emily, as you know I loved Falling In Love Again and am also loving Run. I can't think of any questions right now, but I'm sure I'll be back :)

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 04:20:09 PM »

I have a question for you. I try to space my questions out over the month so you don't get bombarded with a ton at the beginning and then nothing, but I' also afraid I'll forget what I was going to ask. lol

Did you always intend on writing a sequel to Falling In Love Again? And if so did you always plan on moving it to another genre like suspense?

What made you decide to take such a drastic turn from romance to suspense for the sequel? Were you afraid your readers wouldn't adjust to the switch?

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 07:32:25 PM »

Well, here I am, and I have all the answers.  They may not be good answers, but they're my answers, nonetheless :)  I'm honored to be featured this month, and I'm hoping I'm able to get a lot of writing on "Run" done this month.  However, a Disneyworld vacation is happening in a week, so I'm sure I won't get any done then. 

1) Tell us one thing about your story that no one else knows?
How it ends!  ;)  One kind of interesting little piece of trivia is that the detective in the story, Kendall Jones, is named after two physicians I work with at the hospital where I am a pharmacist.  I have a love/hate relationship with them both.  More about how that ties into the character later.

2) How long did it take you to write this entire story?
Who knows how long it will take!  I've been working on it for about six weeks, and posting for about a month.  I'm planning to have it finished by the end of the year, and hopefully sooner.

3) Give us a summary different from the one you have posted on AC, with a few more spoilers to make people tune in.
Nick and Annie are planning on "together forever," but someone from the past has other plans.  There's murder, there's  action, there's suspense, there might even be a ghost!

4) What made you come up with the concept of this one?
I have no idea.  It came to me in the shower, as most of my "brilliant" writing ideas do.  Honestly, after participating in the summer reading challenge and in the "Question of the Day" board, I was inspired to try stepping out of my "romance" comfort zone, and this is what I came up with!

5) Who was your favorite character in this story and why?
Hmm... I feel like I should answer Nick or Annie since they're the "stars," but Howie has had some really great moments so far.  I have big plans for Kevin, too.

6) You had to know this was coming, who was your least favorite?
I'll say Kendall, and I'd bet a few of you who are reading this story agree.  He's a little too cocky for his own good, and he's getting a little sloppy.  He may or may not have a redeeming moment coming up later.  I had two people in mind (as I mentioned above) as loose inspirations for this character, and like I said before- love/hate relationship. 

7) Are all the boys in this one? If not why did you choose to exclude them?
 They are all there, but Nick is the main character.  The other guys play some big supporting roles at certain points, though.

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2013, 07:49:23 PM »

I have a question for you. I try to space my questions out over the month so you don't get bombarded with a ton at the beginning and then nothing, but I' also afraid I'll forget what I was going to ask. lol

Did you always intend on writing a sequel to Falling In Love Again? And if so did you always plan on moving it to another genre like suspense?

What made you decide to take such a drastic turn from romance to suspense for the sequel? Were you afraid your readers wouldn't adjust to the switch?

I went back and forth a lot on whether I was going to write a sequel.  Originally, about halfway through "Falling in Love Again," I thought I was getting a little long-winded, and that maybe there would be more story to tell, so I toyed with the idea of a sequel.  I had several readers who were begging for a sequel at the end of that one.  "FILA" was about "the chase"-- the boy meets girl and they fall in love type of story.  (It was so much more than that to me, but that's the general premise of a romance).  The original sequel was just going to be an add-on telling about Nick and Annie's life together- the every day type of obstacles they face, babies, etc.  In the end, I decided that was kind of boring and scrapped the idea of a sequel altogether.   

Then, I got to thinking about writing something in a different genre, and the Annie and Nick characters, because of their backgrounds, lent themselves really well to the plot in my head. I told Julie once that Nick and Annie were kind of like my version of her "Nick and Claire" in the Broken series.  I love these characters.  One big problem I'm having with this story is introducing my characters (namely Annie) to my NEW readers.  My "FILA" readers know them (well, her) really well from that story.  I fear that my new readers just don't get her at all.  I'm working on trying to develop the characters a little better in this story as it goes along.

As an aside, I considered a sort of companion piece to "FILA" that delved deeper into a little Kevin subplot I had going on in that one, but I decided it would have been too depressing.  Maybe one day if I'm feeling particularly angsty. 

Wow, that was long!  What are we going to talk about for the rest of the month? LOL

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 11:55:43 PM »

Speaking as one of the people who only know her from "Run" I can honestly say, I do get her just fine. At least I believe I do. What I love most about this story is the fact that Annie is an important character but so far anyway, it feels like a BSB story. Nick seems to be the lead even though it's Annie's parents who were killed. I think the people who didn't read the first story and chose to read this second one was because of the genre change and not so much the characters. It makes sense for the people who loved FILA to move to this one but the new reader's most likely are reading more for the suspense element and aren't as interested in Annie.

I know that's what kept me reading, is the fact that it was centered around Nick who happens to be engaged to this girl Annie. I probably would have lost interest if it was about Annie who happened to be engaged to this guy, Nick. 

Anyway this is turning into a long winded thing where all I'm trying to say is, you have done a great job introducing us to Annie and letting us know what her deal is by the small flashbacks and little scenes with her in them. Coming at it from a strictly suspense reading, non romance caring angle, that's all we really need. It's almost nice to not know too much about her because she can definitely be in the mix as a possible bad guy to us whereas maybe everyone else is like awww poor Annie. Does that make sense? LOL

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2013, 05:21:34 AM »

That's good to know, because that's actually what I'm trying to do! (Make it more about the Boys this time around).  I like that you're liking making her a suspect. LOL. But I've worried that the new readers think she's a little weird-- which she's not- not really.  Does that make sense?

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 05:53:36 AM »

I'm not picking up 'weird' at all from her. She hasn't done anything weird or quirky, to me anyway lol but that's also coming from someone who is kind of quirky so...

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2013, 07:11:06 PM »

Here are the featured forum member questions for you!

1. Real name:
2. How long have you been on AC?
3. How long have you been writing fanfics?
4. Give us a list of stories you have written.
5. List some of your all time favorite stories you have read.
6. Do you have your own site?
7. What are your favorite types of stories to read?
8. Who is your favorite BSB?
9. Do you find yourself writing about him more than the others?
10. What do you want to do with the rest of your life?
11. Where are you from?
12. What kinds of hobbies do you enjoy?
13. What's your favorite movie?
14. What's your favorite book?
15. Any hidden talents?

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 07:27:05 AM »

Here are the featured forum member questions for you!

1. Real name:
Emily Michele- I'm very creative, see?
2. How long have you been on AC?
About two years
3. How long have you been writing fanfics?
I wrote just to share with my closest friends (who also wrote at the time)- from about age 13-15 or 16.  Then, didn't start back up again until a couple years ago. I did write one Grey's Anatomy fic on ff.net around 2007 or so.
4. Give us a list of stories you have written.
-Forever (which is sort-of a culmination of all those stories from my teen years), Mr. Brightside (unfinished), Falling in Love Again, Sisterhood of the Ugly Red Sweatpants (unfinished), Run (I'm sensing a theme here..... No new stories until Emily finishes some!)
5. List some of your all time favorite stories you have read.
-Where Can We Go From Here? was the classic I remember reading back in the day.
-The Broken Series by Julie (also loved Secrets of the Heart)
-The Coaster Series by evergreen Jen (Also loved Life's a Dance and  The Ghost of You and Me)
-The Protect and Serve Series by Mare (also really enjoyed Why I'd Do it All Again)

6. Do you have your own site?
No, but once upon a time, I had one called "Kisses for Kevin" on Angelfire.
7. What are your favorite types of stories to read?
I'm still a sucker for your "romantic dramedy," but I'm branching out and liking suspense as well.
8. Who is your favorite BSB?
Kevin
9. Do you find yourself writing about him more than the others?
Not really- In the past year and half or so, I've written a lot about Nick
10. What do you want to do with the rest of your life?
Probably what I'm doing now- working part-time, mommy, wife (with possible switch to full-time when the little guy goes to kindergarten- or maybe I would volunteer at the school or something).  I did make a promise to a couple people (my dad and my AP English teacher in HS) that I would write one day- I'm not sure fanfic was what they had in mind, so who knows?  Maybe an OF novel someday.
11. Where are you from?
Elkhorn City, Kentucky- you've never heard of it- population 850, one traffic light, on the border of Kentucky/Virginia.  I spent some time living in Lexington and currently in Hazard, Ky (which you've also never heard of, but it's a little bigger than EC).
12. What kinds of hobbies do you enjoy?
Reading/writing. I spend some time helping our church youth group with drama team, choir, etc.
13. What's your favorite movie?
I'm not sure I can pick just one- but they range from Grease to Love Actually to Man on Fire, to choose a few different genres.
14. What's your favorite book?
That's a toughie- there are so many.  As far as classics go- Little Women. Rebecca by Daphne DuMaurier, then Dan Brown (namely the DaVinci Code and Angels and Demons). 
15. Any hidden talents?
I sing, though I used to be a lot better than I am now- I guess it's one of those "Use it or lose it" scenarios.  I also love to cook without recipes- just throw some stuff together and it usually turns out good. (usually)

emilo

• Captain of Commotion
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 11:17:49 AM »

I've posted a new chapter for this one!  It's a big!
Pages: [1] 2