Absolute Chaos Discussion Boards

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Spammers will be banned. Repeat spammers will be fed to angry penguins.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19

Author Topic: Question of the day part 7  (Read 47214 times)

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
  • writing fanfic by moonlight....
    • twitter
Re: Question of the day part 7
« Reply #210 on: October 12, 2012, 12:34:20 AM »

That's one reason I haven't done it, because I don't like deleting stuff. I think I might just keep it up because I might finish it one day.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #211 on: October 12, 2012, 06:05:47 AM »

I would never delete a story.  I have moved the discontinued ones to their own page on my site so they're not easily accessed, but they're still there for anyone who wants to read them for some reason.  Even my old and embarrassing stuff is online, mostly because I know it's safe there.  And it's kinda fun to look back at those and see how much I've grown as a writer since.

It really, really annoys me when writers delete their stories, unless there's a reason they have to, such as publishing an original fiction version.  And like Steph said, it's nice to be given some warning before it happens so you can save the story yourself if you want to.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #212 on: October 12, 2012, 06:30:55 AM »

I can agree with that. I've rewritten a whole series into one story when I did Weird World, and I kept the original ones up. I like to look at my old stuff and see how much I've grown.

FrickingKaos

• General Pandemonium
    • twitter
« Reply #213 on: October 12, 2012, 06:36:16 AM »

Something that's been bugging me is this acquaintance of mine who keeps rewriting her story every couple of months, even changing character names and the title of the story.

I am guilty of doing a rewrite but I would not continue to read something that changes so frequently. How does everyone else feel about rewriting?

Sakabelle

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #214 on: October 12, 2012, 07:53:37 AM »

I'm way too lazy to do a rewrite. I have been re-writing a lot of Forever Like This as I post it because when I read over the chapter I find stuff I want to change, or I want to make it more consistent, but once a story posted that's it, I'm done! I'd really rather just concentrate on something new and focus on making a new story better than going back and re-working an old one.

Also, when people rewrite their stuff constantly, or right after it's been posted it can be a little bit jarring. Because sometimes I like to go back and read stuff over again, and if I click on the story and it's different than what I remember... sure the writing's probably better, but I miss the original one that I loved! This has happened a couple times and it kind of sucks.
~Saka ♥

"Write a lot. Write something you’re scared to write. That’s the best advice I can give: If you have an idea, and you can’t stop thinking about it, but something about it scares you half to death—WRITE THAT."
- Rainbow Rowell

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #215 on: October 12, 2012, 08:40:55 AM »

I actually thought of a pretty good question.

When you go to start a new story, how do you choose which boys are lead characters or backup characters? Do you experiment or do you already have someone in mind when you form the idea?

I already have someone in mind when I think of the story.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #216 on: October 12, 2012, 08:46:42 AM »

Has anyone ever written a story about one boy and then later thought, "I wish I had written this same story about [different boy]?"

No, I'm usually happy with the person I've written about.  Like with Ten Things, I used AJ because he was the opposite of what the female (who happens to be called Steph, LOL) would go for.  It wouldn't have worked with any of the others.

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #217 on: October 12, 2012, 08:50:12 AM »

I've deleted stuff before mostly because it was either old and embarrassing, or because I knew I was never going to finish it. I also don't like it when people randomly delete things without warning and I recall when I was going to remove those I gave warning so if anyone actually wanted to save them, they could.

I've still got one or two old and embarrassing stories posted, but luckily not the really cringeworthy ones I wrote when I first discovered fanfics :)

Carter-Orange

• Chief of Disorder
« Reply #218 on: October 12, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »

Something that's been bugging me is this acquaintance of mine who keeps rewriting her story every couple of months, even changing character names and the title of the story.

I am guilty of doing a rewrite but I would not continue to read something that changes so frequently. How does everyone else feel about rewriting?

Personally, I don't think I'd go back and read something which has been re-written, unless it was turned into original fiction and altered beyond recognition.  I wouldn't even re-write any of my stories because I don't see the point.  They can be left as they are...mistakes and all :)

Purpura Lipstick

• General Pandemonium
« Reply #219 on: October 12, 2012, 09:23:36 AM »

Sometimes I know the lead of the story before I start, sometimes I have to think about which boy would fit better with the storyline, which one would give more dynamic to the story.   Chronos Project was almost a Nick centric story but Kevin fit too, depending on how the story went.   If Nick had been the lead, the story would have been likely different.   Severed Identities couldn't be any one other than Brian, I had briefly flitted with the idea of using Kevin but knew with what happens that it would impact Brian more, he would have a harder time with the events.   I started a story for the Howie challenge that after starting realized it would be better as a Nick romance, though it's on the back burner. 

I've never thought after a story was finished that another boy would have been better in the lead of the story because the story forms itself around the boy that I did use as the lead.   If I had decided to use Kevin for the lead in Severed Identities it would likely have a completely different feel but it would be a story where you wouldn't be able to see anyone else in that role other than Kevin, just like I feel now you can't see anyone else other than Brian in the story as it is. 

I've deleted ONE story from AC.  More Than That: All or Nothing... I wasn't happy with where it was going, I didn't plan on working on it ever again and didn't really feel like anyone would miss it so I deleted it.  I don't think I'd delete any of them now unless I made them original fics for publishing.
- Purpura -
   -Lore-

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #220 on: October 13, 2012, 07:35:18 AM »

I actually thought of a pretty good question.

When you go to start a new story, how do you choose which boys are lead characters or backup characters? Do you experiment or do you already have someone in mind when you form the idea?

For me it's really simple, I ask myself if I was going to read this story, which guy would I like this to be about? And nine times out of ten the answer is Nick. That's why he's usually the main focus in my stories even though I do try to make everything involve all five of them.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #221 on: October 13, 2012, 07:36:21 AM »

Has anyone ever written a story about one boy and then later thought, "I wish I had written this same story about [different boy]?"

I don't think i've ever felt that way for anything I've written.
Writing is something you do alone. Its a profession for introverts who want to tell you a story but don't want to make eye contact while doing it. ~ John Green

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #222 on: October 13, 2012, 07:45:05 AM »

As far as rewriting or deleting stories, I don't understand why people delete their stories unless site wise they need to in order to post more. I do think people who discontinue stories should have the deceny to let their readers know they never plan on updating it, but then I think they should also leave it up to the reader to decide if they want to go back and read it again or not. As long as you have that disclaimer at the beginning, "By the way, this story isn't finished and never will be so no bitching when you get to my last chapter and aren't happy with it!" Then I say leave it up! lmao

I think rewriting something that's already written is a waste of time, honestly, unless you are changing it completely by making it an OF or something. I would never reread something that's been reworked or rewritten just because the author wasn't happy with it the first time around. All it says is the author posts their work too soon and it makes me kind of avoid their other stories.

I feel the ame way about people who care more about the banners and 'character lists' of their stories than the actual plot.

RokofAges75

• Supreme Time Waster
    • Dreamer's Sanctuary
« Reply #223 on: October 13, 2012, 11:54:02 AM »

I tried to rewrite a story once - Code Blue - and it was such a huge hassle that I will never it again!!  Even rewriting a story as an original fic is a lot harder than I thought it would be.  But as a reader, I'm one of those people who likes to reread stories in their original form and doesn't want to see them changed, so as a writer, I wouldn't want to mess things up for my readers, even if I thought I was making the story better.  It's the George Lucas rule, George Lucas being the example of what NOT to do.
~Julie

"Sometimes writers and sociopaths are hard to tell apart." -J.K. Rowling

mare

• Banner hater
  • Queen of Fanfiction
  • Supreme Time Waster
« Reply #224 on: October 13, 2012, 05:12:16 PM »

Which books if any would you think might be fun if they had been turned into a fanfic and which boy would you like to have been which character?
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 19