- Text Size +
Daniel entered the dark room and hurried to find the lamp that he knew was on the edge of the desk, turning it on he quickly located the files and the tape. He placed the audio tape in the recorder and turned it on. Sara’s voice suddenly filled the room.


**
Day One . It seems today I’ve seen my only son for the first time in nearly three weeks. He seems to have grown a lot and seems to understand that I am his mother, but as he ages I wonder if he will even know who I am. Matthew has seen to it that I’ve been kept hidden from Emma so that the people here at the center can test her. Matthew knows that at the first chance I get I am getting out of here. But will he help me I doubt it. He seems perfectly content with keeping me to himself. Emma’s powers have grown, she’s already injured nearly six of the workers here and I can hear her voice clearly as she screams my name. This is the first voice journal I will be doing. Matthew has seen fit to allow me that much.

** Day three.
Matthew has been here so much I haven’t been able to keep this journal in nearly two days. I am sore, it seems that since I am here in the dark part of the center he finds ways to keep himself occupied. Problem is I am that thing. I feel like nothing more than something that he needs to use for his pleasure. Today I feel as if I can just find a dark enough and deep enough hole I will crawl into it and die. My body can’t take much more. But I stay alive because of Emma and Daniel. No matter what I have to get them out of here. I can hardly believe I’ve just turned seventeen. I’ve been in this hell hole for nearly five years.
** Day 65
It seems that Matthew has been reassigned. Daniel and Emma have been returned to my care and we’ve been given a separate wing. Thing is. Daniel thinks I am his friend not his mother. How to tell a seven year old that I am his mother. Emma seems more confused than ever, her powers are out of control because her emotions are so unstable. I’ve calmed her as best I can. I’ve made friends with one of the doctors and he’s found a way to sneak us out during one of the shift changes. So this will be my last entry. I am hoping anyway.


Emma looked at the tape player and then up at Daniel, his eyes seemed to be filled with tears.
“ She endured so much.” He said quietly.
“ All to keep us both safe. We’ve been so bad to her over the last year, with our moving so much.”
“ I’ve been the worst. After I had found out that she’d been keeping things from me. I had assumed that meant that she had more secrets and those were worse than the first.”
“ You never gave her a chance to explain, neither of us did.”
“ I wasn’t sure why I bothered to even try. I really need to talk to Sara. I guess we’ve both been very mean to her.” Daniel said heading up the stairs. He stopped just outside Sara’s room and could hear her soft snoring he figured that she had finally drifted off into a deep sleep. He hoped that her dreams were not bad ones. He touched the door and then turned and walked back towards his room.


Sara waited until she had heard Emma and Daniel enter their rooms before she turned back on her light. She quickly packed some things knowing she’d have to be gone long before they both woke the next morning. She took a look in on Emma first, her younger sister a child that was thought to be normal that wasn’t. Daniel her son, the child that came from anger proved to be the only thing that kept her sane. Now she was leaving them both turning herself over to the center so they’d be able to live a life of freedom. Turning she hurried back into her room and closed the door. Suddenly she was being pinned to the wall, a large hand over her mouth.
“ Hello Sara.” He hissed in her ear. Sara stiffed as she felt the knife press against her throat. He moved his hand and shoved her away from him.
“ Matthew.” Sara growled as she stood ready for a fight.
“ Now, now Sara, do you want those two lovely children hurt?” Matthew said. He pulled her room door open to reveal two men now holding Daniel and Emma. The room crackled the with electricity as she felt her anger boil.
“ I wouldn’t.” Matthew said as Emma cried out in pain.
“ Release them Matthew. I told the center I was turning myself in. They’ve promised me that they’d not hurt Emma and Daniel.”
“ Doesn’t work that way. You three are my ticket to my own freedom.” Matthew said as he nodded at the two men, Sara watched as both Emma and Daniel slumped unconscious to the floor.
“ What did you do to them?”
“ Just gave them something to relax.” Matthew said looking into her eyes.
“ You shouldn’t even be here. This place is out of the centers range and my own powers protect it.”
“ And your powers are tied to your emotions and your emotions are all out of control.” Matthew said touching her face. Sara backed away from him and looked at the now two unconscious people before her.
“ What happens now?”
“ We run some tests. I want to know how Daniel gained powers especially since I am human.”
“ What am I am not? I was born human Matthew. I was not born on some distant planet or even brought here by mistake I am human just like you. He just gained my powers. What are you jealous?” Sara hissed.
“ Not really, I feel people like you should be kept in cages and studied not allowed to be walking around the general public where you can do harm.”
“ We’ve never hurt anyone and you fucking well know it. Remember Matthew, I’ve had the ability to destroy you since I sensed you several hours ago. I chose not to because of the safety of the two you’ve now so kindly brought into your little war. Can’t you just leave me alone? You’ve done enough to me.” Sara shouted, the room seemed to explode with light and electricity, her own gifts getting the better of her as she lifted Matthew off the ground and held him high above her.
“ Release me Sara or they die.” Matthew laughed, Sara turned her eyes towards Emma and Daniel and sighed. Lowering Matthew she sat down, knowing that Emma and Daniel were the only reason he had any control over her.
“ Good girl, I always knew the ways to keep you under control.”
“ Screw you.” Sara hissed.
“ Maybe later my dear, it has been a long time.”
“ I’d rather die.”
“ That can be arranged.” Matthew growled as he grabbed her hair and kissed her harshly. Sara shoved him away from her and Matthew laughed.
“ Just like old times. I will break that spirit again. No doubt about that. Boys bring those two in here and keep watch outside.”
“ Yes sir.” One of the men said as he pulled Daniel into the room and deposited him on the floor hard, followed by Emma joining them.
“ And don’t you dare try leaving. I’ve got an army surrounding this place. So believe me when I say, they’ve been ordered to shoot to kill.” Matthew said pulling the door closed. Sara whipped her eyes before sitting down on the bed to wait for Emma and Daniel to awaken.