- Text Size +
Chapter 3: A New Scene.
Colette watched as James seemed irritated that Meranda would not go home. She had long sense left the office and had moved back into the lab. Testing more things Colette supposed. But with all the tests Meranda was running she wondered if she was ever going to get any sleep. Most of the agents had already gone on other cases, home or just some place quiet to eat or rest. With a missing agent it tended to be a round the clock deal, many agents rarely left for rest at all and Meranda was one of them.
“Come on let’s get some coffee, she’s going to be a while.” Colette said getting his attention.
“What is she doing?”
“Working, what she does best. I’ll explain at the diner.” Colette said as she turned and headed toward the elevators. James looked toward the lab once more before following behind her.

Meranda looked up just as James was moving away from the window. She had been wondering when he’d finally go home and get some rest. Doing odd hours like this wasn’t unusual for her and being up for hours didn’t seem to matter. An agent was missing and presumed dead, she wanted to prove this herself. She finished attempting to match the prints found inside the car to any known criminal or even an agent. Meranda wasn’t to sure about who was to blame.
“We’ve had a call.” James said rushing into the room.
“For what?”
“We think Lucas has been found.” James said heading out of the room. Meranda grabbed her crime scene kit, she wasn’t going without the kit this time. She followed James and Colette to the car.
“Both of you?”
“Director Ryan said I should come along, see what I can find out.”
“All right.” Meranda said. Having Colette along could be a nice advantage, Colette was a profiler, with a high rate of accuracy.
They arrived on the scene several minuets later, the police again had arrived and had cordoned off the scene.
“Where is Detective Martin?”
“Over there.” The officer said pointing to the man standing near a blue tarp.
“Detective Martin?”
“Yes.”
“I’m Agent Cross, these are my partners Agent Williams and Davidson.”
“Yes we were told to expect you.” He said looking at her. Moving aside he showed the covered body.
“We think this might be your missing Agent.” He said moving the tarp. Colette pulled out the camera and snapped several pictures.
“Yes that is Agent Brian. When was he found?”
“One of the homeless women found him about an hour ago.”
“Where is she?”
“She was taken to the hospital.”
“All right. Do you know the cause of death yet?” Meranda asked setting down the kit she had been carrying. Moving closer to Lucas’s body she pulled some gloves from the case and started checking him. His badge and ID where still in his pocket, his wallet and all the money remained in the other pocket.
“Gunshot.” Colette said pointing to the pool of blood beneath Lucas’s head. Meranda reached behind his head and noticed that for someone that had been found dead, the blood was still warm. She reached around and touched his blue lips.
“He hasn’t been dead long.” Meranda said. Colette looked down and saw the same thing Meranda was seeing, Lucas’s eyes were still open as if seeing his killer, and the shocked look still frozen on his face.
“I think he knew his killer.” James said.
“So do I.” Meranda agreed. She rolled Lucas onto his side and noticed that there was glass beneath him. She picked up several shards and rolled him back onto his back. Standing back up, the suspicions that she held that the killings that had been going on before had something to do with Lucas had changed now with his death. Something didn’t add up, why were people killing police officers and federal agents. She knew that they were prime targets and knew that her job was dangerous but this was something else. Something far more dangerous than anything she had ever encountered.
“What are you thinking?” James asked.
“We’ve got one agent dead, two more missing.”
“Two?”
“Rodriguez didn’t report for work this morning and Samuels didn’t either.”
“What does that have to do with anything?”
“George never misses work. And will Samuels is an idiot to stupid to miss work. Something isn’t right.”
“I have the same feeling. I am getting that from the placement of the body, the fact that his wallet, ID and Badge where still on him meant that who ever killed him knew him. And knew that you’d look for those first.” Colette said.
“Good observation, but what I need is motive, why would someone kill a federal agent? The cases we were working on where about recent reports of missing young women.”
“Young women?”
“Lucas worked several cases about twenty years ago, when recent college graduates mainly female began disappearing. They were taken from their work, or right after work.”
“Was there anything in common about them?”
“All recent grads of a forensic sciences degree at a local Boston college.” Meranda said looking at James. James thought for a moment, thinking that maybe that had something to do with the killing.
“Could be that what ever happened then and now, is something that someone wants to keep hidden.”
“That could be possible. For now let the coroner take Lucas’s body back to the morgue and have the autopsy done so we can find out anything else. I want pictures of the scene.” Meranda said looking at Colette.
“Agent Cross.”
“Yes Detective?”
“This was found on the body, it’s got your name on it.” He said handing her the bag that held a small white envelope. Meranda took it and looked at the handwriting.
“I’ll take it back to the lab and have it checked there, thank you detective.” Meranda said placing it in the kit she was carrying. She moved around and started gathering more evidence from the scene as Colette took pictures. Once they had finished they left the Boston PD to finish up anything else they needed to do. She wanted to get back to the lab with the note and the new samples she had. Maybe something in them would point to who was doing the killing.