- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Turns out I'm not headed for reporter. (you'll get it once you've read it) R/r!
Okay, so now you may be thinking: "And what was so bad about the day?"
Nothing really, I found out the following day, the 3rd of December, when I unfolded the newspaper promptly at 6:20 am, ready to find out what disasters were happening in the world at the moment.
I was reading along, rather bored, when something caught my eye:
"NICK CARTER, THE HEARTLESS PARENT
Nick Carter was spotted yesterday, the 2nd of December, at the local aquarium, enjoying the sea animals with his youngest son, Michael, age 3. He watched the sharks and dolphins and seemed to be having a good time. All of this, of course, is perfectly normal, but as we all know, Carter has another son, 14, who is currently battling cancer in the hospital. Mike seemed teary-eyed when asked about Joshua, his brother, and doubtfully explained that Josh was near death and awaiting a transplant. Despite his father's attempts to shush him, Michael explained in detail all the horrifying details about the way he had been tested as a possible bone marrow match, and how Joshua had dealt with the side effects of chemotherapy, which did not help cure him. Now the question we are all asking ourselves is, is Nick Carter a heartless parent? Why did he leave his other son in the hospital by himself? Why is he so happy and carefree while his son may be dying? Hopefully we will soon be answered.
Sheila Roberts, reporter, The Overview."
There was two pictures, one of me with Mike in my arms doing the 'helicopter trick', as Mike calls it, and looking overjoyed, and another of Mike and me together at the aquarium by the sharks, me looking at Michael in awe, and Mike looking overwhelmed with amazement.
This, of course, was a huge blow to my self esteem. How dare she suggest that I was so happy? Did she even know anything about all the feelings I'd been dealing with lately? And she had filled the newspaper with lies!
I immediately got a piece of paper and angrily began to write a letter to the newspaper editor:
"Dear editor of the Overview,
I read an article in your newspaper regarding me the other day. I felt terribly offended by the remarks of the reporter, Sheila Roberts, regarding my love towards Joshua B. Carter, my son, and towards Michael H. Carter, another of my sons. I was sorry to read such lies about Joshua's condition and find that, if you really needed to print this offensive piece of news, you should have at least printed the truth. I found you had no respect to my privacy as a father or as a person, really. I have been dealing with negative feelings for a long time and in fact, I love my sons and my daughter very much. The 2nd of December was a very good day for me emotionally, but I think you will be sorry to realize that you've just ruined it for me.
For the record, although Joshua does have leukemia, the chemotherapy is working and he is far from death. Mike has not had any tests at all nor even been forced to watch the side effects of his brother's treatments. Besides, neither of us said anything at all to the reporter. You should be ashamed of printing such a bunch of offensive lies.
I will rethink if I ever read this newspaper again.
Deeply offended reader, Nick Carter."