- Text Size +
After listening to Joshua play the piano for over an hour, he began to grow tired and it was time for me to pick up Jamie, anyway.
Jamie, my little Jamie, what can I say about her? She definitely has some of her namesake's qualities. Jamie Alexandra Carter is her full name, so if you haven't guessed it before, well, that's right, I named her after AJ. Curious and outgoing, she's probably the kid of mine who stands out the most, being, besides, the only girl of the family. That is, in a way, not that good. She's become somewhat of a tomboy, as in she likes sports, doesn't mind getting dirty and loves bugs and animals. In other aspects she is like any other girl, liking Hilary Duff and the like and enjoying singing, for example.
I guess all my children have some of their namesake's qualities, some of mine, and some of Julia's.
Take Mike. His full name is Michael Howard Carter, named after Howie but also taking the name of angel. Even before he was born the name was set, but after Julia died during birth, it took on a new meaning to me. Like he was the angel that God sent to help me cope with my wife's death.
Apart from all that, his nicest quality is that he is sweet. Just like Howie.
Ryan was named after Kevin. Ryan Kevin Carter, a short but strong name. At least Julia always thought so. Ryan is the oldest, like Kevin, and the most responsible, most emotionally stable, so I could trust him to take care of the rest of kids, just like Kevin used to do for the rest of us Backstreet Boys.
And finally, Joshua. His full name is Joshua Brian Carter, and he definitely takes after Brian. The name Joshua comes from the Bible, which was some sort of tribute to Brian, since he is a Christian. Josh, like Brian, is (though I love them all, of course) the one I like the best, a good musician, empathetic. And they even look kind of similar.
So, as I was saying, I picked up my little princess (that would be Jamie) and drove home.
"How was school today, Jamie?"
This is actually a dangerous question to ask to a girl like Jamie, because she could just talk your ear out, but surprisingly, she just said: "Fine."
"Did you have fun?"
"Yeah."
By the looks of it, something wrong had happened. It is not like Jamie to not talk when invited to do so.
"Something wrong, honey?"
"No." she said, but she pulled her legs up and hugged them close, as if she was angry at me for something.
"Then what's the matter?"
"Nothing."
"You sound upset." I stated, careful not to make accusations or get angry.
"I... I guess I am."
"You're not going to tell me about it? Maybe I can help." I suggested.
"No, because it's about you." I looked back at Jamie and raised my eyebrow.
"Did I do something that bothered you, Princess?"
"Don't call me princess..." said Jamie, obviously dawdling.
Mike, oblivious to everything, snored loudly.
Jamie giggled, then returned to the upset face. "I'm afraid that you don't love me anymore." she confessed, wiping a tear from her cheek.
"Why is that?" I asked, concerned.
"Because you always look so upset and sad and you want to go see Josh, and you never stay home very long anymore and we don't have anymore of our trips together anymore because you're always too busy or sad..." she said, now crying harder.
"Oh, honey." I sighed. "Things are hard right now, you know? With Joshua so sick and everything... but I still love you. I've always loved you, even before you were born, and I used to hug Mommy's belly and give you a kiss even when I hadn't ever seen you."
"Did you really do that?" Jamie stopped crying.
"Yeah!" I sheepishly grinned. "I've always loved you and I will always love you. But thanks for reminding me of what I do wrong so I can try and change it."
Kids have so much to teach us, if only we'd let them.