- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Review? =)
When we arrived home, I put Michael in bed carefully, then went to my studio, just to be stopped by Jamie in the hall.
"Can I invite Delilah over?" Jamie asked hopefully. Delilah is one of our neighbors, a seven-year-old who talks even more than Jamie herself, and hates to sit still, so a rather tiring little girl to have around.
"I'm afraid I'm a little tired to have guests over right now." I tactfully answered.
"But Daddy, you promised that you were going to change! And that means that I can invite Delilah over." She smiled triumphantly.
There she had me in a tight spot, how could I refuse?
"All right." I conceded. "But just a couple of hours, you play in your room and you don't bother me unless it's an emergency."
"Thanks, daddy!" exclaimed Jamie happily. She truly is an adorable girl, her hair being her best feature, red, silky and beautiful even after I've messed it up trying to make braids or something like that. Her eyes, though, remind me of her mother. Most everything in my children reminds me of her.
"I'll go with you to her house." I told Jamie. "Just give me a moment to put my shoes on again."
I checked on Mike to make sure he was still sleeping, then
Jamie bounced around as I tied my shoes, then grabbed my hand as we crossed the street to the Johnsons' house.
Mrs. Johnson was just about two years younger than me. She was a divorced woman, talkative as her daughter, but never saying much about herself, and much less about her ex-husband. A mysterious woman, but good company- she was never silent long enough to let my mind wander to other matters, basically Julia and the kids. She only had two children, Katie and Delilah. Katie was thirteen and a very silly girl, so I was, in a way, relieved that Josh hadn't become much friends with her. She had always been shallow and rather dumb. Delilah, seven, was a different matter, as I've already said. She was sharp, talkative and never still for a second. I liked her much more than her sister, if you can't tell.
Jamie rang the bell excitedly. Mrs. Johnson answered. Her face looked worn out, but instantly brightened when she saw us two.
"Hello, Mrs. Johnson!" Jamie exclaimed. "Can Delilah come over and play for a while?"
A thoughtful look passed on Mrs. Johnson's face. "Why, yes, I could use some peace. You come just in the right moment."
Mrs. Johnson stuck her face back in the house. "Delilah, come, Jamie's here."
There was the sound of running, unmistakably Delilah. She stepped out a moment later.
"Mrs. Johnson, I was wondering if you and your family would join us for supper?" I invited.
Mrs. Johnson smiled. "Thanks so much, at what time shall I go?"
"Is eight o' clock good for you?"
"Yes, I think so. Katie is at a sleepover, but Delilah and I would be delighted to go, of course." She tapped Delilah's shoulder.
"Yes, Mr. Carter." Delilah answered automatically.
"In the meantime, Delilah can come to our house and play with Jamie."
"That would be fine. I'll go over at eight." said Mrs. Johnson.
"See you later then. Goodbye." I gave a friendly wave, then crossed the street with the two little girls.

* * *

I left the girls by themeselves in Jamie's room while I went to my studio, as I'd originally planned to do.
I took my guitar and began playing but could not really get myself caught up in the music, so I uncovered the grand piano, which was used mainly by Josh, and began playing that. The piano music did the trick. Within minutes I was caught up in the music, the sweet melodies I was playing by ear, even some invented in the spot.
I lost no time in taking a music notebook and writing some of them down. Some of the pieces were melancholic, some peaceful, some hopeful. All about my family and about Julia.
No matter how much I try, I cannot bring myself to think about anything other than them. Even the music is somehow related to them.